Big Box Retailers in the Triangle... bad news?

Tayfromcarolina

Capitol was one of the last "Walgreens-less" areas of town. The Wake Forest/Falls and New Bern stores leave just enough space in between those two locations. Target and possibly Lowes Foods have pharmacies, but that and the CVS near New Hope are the only drug counters for miles.

If Walgreens really wants to take over Raleigh, there is a CVS on F Street, an Eckerds in Cameron Village, and a Kerr Drug in Mission Valley that could use some competiton!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always forget about that Eckerds... That corridor is weird in that it goes through booms (Mini-City, Home Quarters, Phar-mor/Dick's/Rugged, Burlington Coat Factory, etc.), busts (Hannofords, even the McDonalds closed by HQ!) and booms (Eckerds, IHOP/Starbucks/Sprint Store, CVS, now Walgreens) and busts (closed Applebees) at the same time.

It is good to see the area is somewhat stable, and not a string of empty boxes. But having the corridor start at the beltline has been a solid line that doesn't appear to be crossed any time soon.

Capital is definelty an interesting road. Most major cities have one if not several of these main thoroughfares which are ever evolving. In Charlotte it's independence Atlanta, Peachtree and Zion and several others.

I think that the area close to Highwoods is about to go a major redevelopment when lincoln properties sells there office buildings behind perkins. I suspect to see highrise and mixed use business and residential start in this area and evolve northward influencing the whole strip especially the Tarrymore shopping center (Marshalls former Andy's) and Burlington Coat Factory Strip Malls. Especially since Applebees has begun construction at the mall and Marshalls will soon go into the new Plantation Pointe Shopping Center were Circuit City and BJ's are.

Capital is definelty an interesting road. Most major cities have one if not several of these main thoroughfares which are ever evolving. In Charlotte it's independence Atlanta, Peachtree and Zion and several others.

I think that the area close to Highwoods is about to go a major redevelopment when lincoln properties sells there office buildings behind perkins. I suspect to see highrise and mixed use business and residential start in this area and evolve northward influencing the whole strip especially the Tarrymore shopping center (Marshalls former Andy's) and Burlington Coat Factory Strip Malls. Especially since Applebees has begun construction at the mall and Marshalls will soon go into the new Plantation Pointe Shopping Center were Circuit City and BJ's are.

• 9 months later...
Wal-Mart is backing away from locating a new store in Knightdale. A lawsuit, and perhaps the growing recession has played a role. While the mayor seems to be heartbroken, I think we have quite enough big box stores in the area to serve everyone, except for perhaps Orange Co, who has zoned them out.

I find it interesting that this supposed Town called Knightdale has tried to limit the amount of affordable housing yet simaltaneously begs for a Wal-Mart. Go ahead and raise the bar already and get you a Target...(or do they have one already?)

And what does Wal-Mart have to do with affordable housing? I know people who make between 100 and 200k a year that shop there religiously. Lower income folks may be Wal-Mart's primary target, but they also attract a lot of other people who love a cheap price.

Archived