Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sundodger

Booming development set to change Seattle's look

8 posts in this topic

Booming development set to change Seattle's look

Forty-nine new buildings planned to be completed by 2010

Despite soaring construction costs and land prices, the downtown Seattle residential pipeline is booming with new condominium projects. Forty-nine new buildings -- 13 of which already are under construction -- are planned to be completed by 2010

seasky10.jpg

That's insane, I wonder what the population of the city will do with all that available housing. I wish I could find a study like that for other cities.

That's a really cool graphic, it appears that density is becoming to increase north of town. Does anyone know if there are any building restrictions around the space needle?

The Central Business District (6th to 1st Ave and James to Union.... roughly) has a 700ft cap on towers while other parts of Downtown have a cap around 400... so the Space Needle at around 605ft will never get passed up... :-)

I know a few buildings in the CBD are above 700 feet such as Bank of America. were those buildings built before the rules were created or did these building get variances?

The Central Business District (6th to 1st Ave and James to Union.... roughly) has a 700ft cap on towers while other parts of Downtown have a cap around 400... so the Space Needle at around 605ft will never get passed up... :-)

They recently changed the height limits for much of the downtown core. I'm not sure what the new stats are but they are higher than they were.

They recently changed the height limits for much of the downtown core. I'm not sure what the new stats are but they are higher than they were.

Any chance sees a new tallest in the next decade? Or will the Columbia Seafirst Tower/BOA -- Im not sure what its called now, be the stalwart for a while?

Any chance sees a new tallest in the next decade? Or will the Columbia Seafirst Tower/BOA -- Im not sure what its called now, be the stalwart for a while?

I don't know the actual numbers but I doubt they changed the limits enough to challenge the Columbia Center/BofA. I don't really know, though.

I have been looking at the Seattle.gov website and found this...

"The complex package of regulations, adopted by City Council April 3(2006) and signed by Mayor Nickels on April 12(2006), updates rules for the central office core and adjoining areas, including Denny Triangle and a portion of Belltown. Major changes in the new regulations include:

* greater heights (unlimited for the main office core)"

So I guess they can build a taller building if they want to.

seattle.gov