Greenville Hotels

gs3

Good article in the Greenville News about the flurry of hotel construction and planned hotels in Greenville. g-man posted an article about Value Place in the development thread yesterday.....that hotel is mentioned along with the ones planned for The Point, downtown, etc. Looks like Greenville's weekday occupancy rates are around 70% which is very good. Great to see this industry in growth and construction mode. :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../606140408/1003

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received an email about the new hotel that could be coming downtown:

Mr. Sharp,

Mayor White is out of town and asked that I respond to your inquiry

regarding a new hotel next to city hall.

City Council has not taken any official action on the deposition of the

property located next to City Hall. We have received proposals, one of

which was for a hotel, and are currently evaluating and gathering

additional information regarding the proposal for further discussion

with City Council. An announcement and any renderings would be

premature at this time.

Thank you so much for your interest and please check back in with us in

about 30 days for an update.

Nancy Whitworth

Reading this article today and then thinking about how much our tourism is up, I couldn't help but entertain myself with two words: "ICE STORM". Which definitely helped occupancy rates and tourism money... All of these hotels have to banking on more of inclement weather :rofl:

I would love to see a five-diamond hotel/resort with a large convention center built into it. We already have a four-diamond Westin on Main Street. It wouldn't need to be huge, just lavish and beautiful. :shades:

Such a project would obviously have to be somewhere downtown with a fairly large footprint (in downtown terms, anyway). I wonder how receptive the city would be to a convention center-style hotel being constructed? Would they view it as being in direct competition with the Palmetto Expo Center?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the article the rooms are around 150.00 a night. Thats an upper end Hampton. When I stay at roadside and airport Hamptons on business travel, the rates are usually 109.00 or 119.00.

This hotel will be great for tourism in West End. :thumbsup:

I noticed in the article the rooms are around 150.00 a night. Thats an upper end Hampton. When I stay at roadside and airport Hamptons on business travel, the rates are usually 109.00 or 119.00.

I agree, gsupstate. Given the momentum in the West End, I would not be surprised if we see another West End hotel announced in the near future (I haven't heard anything - just speculation on my part).

Key thing to remember is that this is not a Hampton Inn, it is a Hampton inn & Suites.

That hotel will do a killing in wedding/ Peace Center business.

Not to mention the photos that will be taken at the cascading steps and fountain for weddings, prom season, etc., too. I never thought of actually getting married in a hotel, but last night, there was a wedding here at the Embassy Suites where I'm staying this week. I imagine this must take place at Greenville's downtown hotels as well? :unsure: Does anybody know?

Not to mention the photos that will be taken at the cascading steps and fountain for weddings, prom season, etc., too. I never thought of actually getting married in a hotel, but last night, there was a wedding here at the Embassy Suites where I'm staying this week. I imagine this must take place at Greenville's downtown hotels as well? :unsure: Does anybody know?

It is a naturally frequent occurance everywhere. Many people find it more convenient to have the ceremony in a nice ballroom at the same location guests will stay. Pretty clever idea, I'd say. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine got married in the atrium at the downtown Hyatt. Wanted it to be around all of the water gardens. The reception was also done in the atrium complete with dance floor. It was VERY well-done.

• 5 months later...

I have a hard time getting excited about hotels because I live here and have no desire to stay in one locally even as anniversary thing. If I'm going to stay in one I'm going to go out of town. Staying in a local place seems kind of pointless.

However I do go to hotels for business meetings or other networking or commercial events. Been to a lot of networking events with GSATC, etc. at the Crown Plaza and some other things at the Marriot's off of Pelham Road. I really like the smaller meeting rooms at the Mariott Courtyard across the street from the bigger one.

For some reason the hotel on Verdae (can't remember the name) seems to have attracted more scam like events in recent years. (some of you may have received those mailings about an "Internet Business Opportunity")

Archived