Demolition off Archdale near South Light Rail

nmcheese

So over the last week during my commute I have noticed that a large office complex is being torn down in the area of the map that I have indicated:

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=demo8az.jpg

This is a very large tract of land walking distance to the Archdale station - anyone know of any rezoning/redevelopment going on here?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a monster residential only community....there was a rezoning for it last year I think. It's the old Celanese plant/offices/labs.

I don't remember exact numbers, but I know there are at least 500+ single-family and townhouses planned for the site.

I'm really upset about this project, because it's sites like this that should be increasing to urban design, but instead, they will have no commercial space on site, and I believe only 1 way in/out.

Ah - that's somewhat disappointing. While it is a lot of residential development walking distance to the LRT stop a space that large could at least be something that a developer could add a market and a few shops to, not to mention connect it with the other Starmount neighborhood streets near there. Do you know what developer is in charge of it - maybe there could be a UP letter writing campaign for them to 'fix' the project.

Here is the link to the approved site plan from the 2004 rezoning. It actually is 870+ units on 120 acres. It will more than likely be 1 entrance, but it appears they are at least going to build a stub street that could eventually connect to a future neighborhood to the east. It will have sidewalks.

I believe the lack of commercial space was more a demand of the planning commission and adjoining neighborhoods, than the developers fault.

EDIT - Maybe this link will work.

link fixed - thx

Man - that's a huge number of townhomes for that area... Imagine the walk-in business a coffee shop or harris teeter express would get if it were placed at the entrance to this place though... seems like a missed opportunity for a more urban community.

There is a UP thread on this I started a few months ago:

Celanese Redevelopment

Thanks for the link - didn't know what the old office bldg name was to search for though :thumbsup:

In any case, I hope the light rail is running by the time that complex is built out so that the right demographic of people will find them appealing (younger people that won't mind the walk to the LRT station) and perhaps keep traffic from being too horrendous on Archdale/Emerywood.

Archived