Do we need this section anymore?

monsoon

Do we need this section anymore?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need this section anymore?

• No
    • Yes

It seems to me that now that we have every state in the South covered with their own forum, we don't really need this section anymore. And considering that maybe one out of every 10 posts here have some real relevance to the goals of this site, the question is should we keep it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say yes simply because it keeps this crap out of the main forums :lol: . Now when someone posts not so relevant topics I can usually send them here. As an overall preference though, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to get rid of this section as the topics really don't relate to the type of issue we wish to have discussed on this site.

This section could stay if there were more threads about southern topics as a whole, such as population trends and social issues. I too enjoy the "southern photo of the day" thread, but I'm really tired of "City vs City" threads.

I agree with this part which would be the only purpose for keeping this section now. But these best of and vs threads are fairly worthless.

This section could stay if there were more threads about southern topics as a whole, such as population trends and social issues. I too enjoy the "southern photo of the day" thread, but I'm really tired of "City vs City" threads.

I second this sentiment. I would also add that the "which city is the Paris of the south" and "which city is the Shanghai of the American east" and "which state has more rivers" is a bit juvenile.

I say yes simply because it keeps this crap out of the main forums :lol: . Now when someone posts not so relevant topics I can usually send them here. As an overall preference though, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to get rid of this section as the topics really don't relate to the type of issue we wish to have discussed on this site.

As sad as that is to admit, I agree with this. Keep it...some good threads come out of it once in awhile...

This forum just needs a few less "Which City is _____________?" and "City X vs. City Y" type threads. The regional discussion threads that actually cover an important issue (transit, sprawl, development, etc.) are actually quite useful as well as the select few vs. threads that actually invite users to discuss certain issues rather than just randomly picking a city that they think is best at something. The Southern Photo of the Day is a great thread as well.

As a whole, this board serves as a great community urban discussion forum of sorts for all the Southern forumers who make it out of their respective city and/or state boards.

While we discuss this, I have turned off the ability to create a poll in this section. What do you guys think of that?

Thank you, thank you, thank you :D And Im honored to have the Southern Photos of the Day thread separate from the others :D

I voted no because of some of the topics. Although I do like to read about another region without going to the state specfic forum. I say have it as a coffe house or off topic so that if I don't want to read anything specific I could go there. As it is now when I log on I usually scroll down and take a look before going to the NC or SC forum. I do like the pic only idea. I plan on making a huge photo thread myself and would probably use that along with the NC forum to post it.

I like the Southern Photo of the Day thread, as it gives us all a chance to see cities that we might not have otherwise been exposed to. It has made me want to spend time in a few cities I have not spent enough time in, and I know there are others like me. That, to me, totally supports the mission of this site.

The polls and versus threads, however, are a waste of bandwidth. It turns into a contest to see who can come up with the most creative polls. We don't need polls to tell us that Charlotte has a nice skyline (and that a lot of people here are from Charlotte).

Archived