Do we need this section anymore?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need this section anymore?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we discuss this, I have turned off the ability to create a poll in this section. What do you guys think of that?

Great job! :) Should help put an end to some of the more pointless threads and thread ideas in this section.

Another thought that I had was to limit the ability to create a topic to the members+ group or one of the premium groups.

FYI, the breakdown would be as follows: (This is for USA South subforum only)

• Guests - Read only

• New Members, 0-9 posts, - Read only

• Members, 10-99 posts, - can reply to topics, but can't start one

• Members+, 100+ posts - full access to forum

If I did that, I would probably turn on the ability to create a poll.

What do you guys think of this?

I think I would give a poster the ability to start a thread at 50 posts.

And how does the "read only" option work? If the new poster cannot reply, how will he get up to 10 posts to begin replying to topics?

From my understanding, that rule (as well as the rest) applies on the the "USA South" forum, not the entire UP forum.

If that is true, then we might want to make a Rules topic highlighting that for future visitors.

I'm all for banishing the city vs. city threads and most of the pointless polls. As others have said, though, there are some topics of a regional nature which might be best addressed in the general forum. Keep it, but I agree with the idea of monitoring the topics carefully.

I'm all for banishing the city vs. city threads and most of the pointless polls. As others have said, though, there are some topics of a regional nature which might be best addressed in the general forum. Keep it, but I agree with the idea of monitoring the topics carefully.

Other "urban" forums similar to these have banished the city vs. city threads and it's worked out well. If someone starts one, it's immediately closed by an Admin or a Moderator.

I agree with tombarnes completely here.

I think I would give a poster the ability to start a thread at 50 posts.

And how does the "read only" option work? If the new poster cannot reply, how will he get up to 10 posts to begin replying to topics?

This is for the USA South only. They can post elsewhere. I knew this was going to trip up someone even though I put in parenthesis above. :)

This will keep new members from starting topics here. They will have to have participated in other parts of the forum first.

This is for the USA South only. They can post elsewhere. I knew this was going to trip up someone even though I put in parenthesis above. :)

This will keep new members from starting topics here. They will have to have participated in other parts of the forum first.

OK; didn't get too much sleep last night. :)

Sounds good to me. But I still say start with 50 posts.

OK; didn't get too much sleep last night. :)

Sounds good to me. But I still say start with 50 posts.

Haha, I should have explained myself better. I forget that most people on the forum don't know much about the inner workings. I can't do the 50 post thing as that would require another user group to be created which would cause too much disruption to the present forum. The dividing lines are all registered users, or 10 posts or 100 posts. For each group we can make it read only, reply but no create topics, and reply and create topics.

Another thought that I had was to limit the ability to create a topic to the members+ group or one of the premium groups.

FYI, the breakdown would be as follows: (This is for USA South subforum only)

• Guests - Read only

• New Members, 0-9 posts, - Read only

• Members, 10-99 posts, - can reply to topics, but can't start one

• Members+, 100+ posts - full access to forum

If I did that, I would probably turn on the ability to create a poll.

What do you guys think of this?

I think thats a good idea in principle, but it would be very confusing for everyone to have this one section set up like that.

Other "urban" forums similar to these have banished the city vs. city threads and it's worked out well. If someone starts one, it's immediately closed by an Admin or a Moderator.

I agree with tombarnes completely here.

We used to not allow city vs city threads, and I am in favor of returning to that policy.

I think that this section should remain for consistency. The rest of the USA ___ sections have these forums, and it would be odd for the South to be excluded. I would rather see some of the rules discussed here used to make the threads something worth reading.

I think thats a good idea in principle, but it would be very confusing for everyone to have this one section set up like that.

We used to not allow city vs city threads, and I am in favor of returning to that policy.

I think that this section should remain for consistency. The rest of the USA ___ sections have these forums, and it would be odd for the South to be excluded. I would rather see some of the rules discussed here used to make the threads something worth reading.

I agree.

It would be nice to have a few changes, although I wouldn't want to totally do away with this section. But I admit I haven't checked this section out as much as I used to. But it would be nice to see some more topics covering more of the south as a whole and so on.

Archived