Menage shut down?!?

ScottCLT

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, any addition to Uptown that does not include another sports bar or stadium or HOF of something... has my support :thumbsup:

Yeah, ditto. Speaking of sports bars, looks like Hoops & Dreams closed down. That was the sports bar located on the 2nd floor of Ivey's. I don't think it lasted even a year.

Yeah, ditto. Speaking of sports bars, looks like Hoops & Dreams closed down. That was the sports bar located on the 2nd floor of Ivey's. I don't think it lasted even a year.

I never thought Hoops & Dreams would last. I walked up there one day for lunch, took a peek inside, and turned right around. The atmosphere and decor were horrible for a sports bar. There is already a new tenant moving in, though. It's an Italian restaurant that starts with a 'V'. I'm drawing a blank past that first letter.

good riddance! i had the misfortune of wandering in hoops & dreams one night. a friend of mine was hungry... anyway the location is prime as it overlooks the blumenthal theatre and it deserves something a little more sophisticated than a what felt like a spoiled 14 yr olds game room - blasting ashlee simpson nursery rhymes. i'm sure an italian restaurant will be better... but something a little more exciting would have been nice.

• 3 weeks later...

good riddance! i had the misfortune of wandering in hoops & dreams one night. a friend of mine was hungry... anyway the location is prime as it overlooks the blumenthal theatre and it deserves something a little more sophisticated than a what felt like a spoiled 14 yr olds game room - blasting ashlee simpson nursery rhymes. i'm sure an italian restaurant will be better... but something a little more exciting would have been nice.

H&D was dirt cheap, though, if all you wanted was to have some beer and watch the goings on at the corner.

• 1 month later...

I heard a discrimination story about Menage about a year ago. Apparently when Latorre found out what clientele a "BET party" might attract, he cancelled the party and refunded the money. Guess he didn't know what the "B" stood for. Now he wants to put a BBQ joint downstairs?!? How ironic--I hear those colored folk like the BBQ. Maybe he's pandering.

Since this was mentioned earlier in this thread, I figured you guys might like to know...

There's a building permit in the window of what used to be Twist. Anyone know what's going on there?

No, But I am glad you asked. I will do some digging Monday. I have been wonerdering was going on there. I think that corner will be a great space when Avenue comes on line. Not to mention another couple hundred people of residents from Trademark, just two blocks away.

I really liked Twist personally. I enjoyed the sushi on Tuesday nights. It was one dollar per piece. I would usually go by have a few pieces and a nice cold beer. All for a ten spot! Now where is a guy to go to get this kind of value Uptown???Cosmos, perhaps... . ;)

A2

I would honestly love to see just an average neighborhood pub go in there. Other than the Corner Pub and Cedar Street Tavern, we don't have much of that downtown. I would like a bar where I can go and feel like a regular. As it is, I have a ton of bars around that I can go to if I want to party. But if I just want to go to a bar after work to have a beer and be greeted by a bartender? That seems almost non-existant downtown. When I visit other cities, it seems like there are always those undocumented bars/hangouts that have a totally unpretentious feel to them because they know that they are just another bar on the street. Go to Polk Street in San Francisco -- Most folks that live there are oblivious to the scattered bars on that street, but the the scene among the locals is thriving. There will probably be a better chance of that coming to Charlotte with the influx of people living downtown at 210, Ave, Trademark, and the Vue.

A2, I take it you live downtown as well. What's your neighborhood bar? I'd have to say that for me, it's the bar at McCormick & Schmick's. Even though that may seem lame, the bartenders there are entertaining and they remember you every time. And you can't beat the $1.95 bar menu.

im thinking menage isnt doing too well. i was up at the corner outside capital grill and their male promoters convinced me to go to menage because they were offering penny beers until it ran out. My friends and i went in and had a few of them but menage was not very busy at all. it was really disappointing. charlotte needs places like menage so i hope they can work through their issues

Charlotte needs a club like Visions in Atlanta or Webster Hall in NYC. I wish the Northeast light rail could be built sooner - connecting UNCC to downtown would add a real boost to the nightlife.

How so? UNCC is connected to Uptown by bus service now. The last bus out of Uptown is 1:30 AM Monday-Saturday.

How so? UNCC is connected to Uptown by bus service now. The last bus out of Uptown is 1:30 AM Monday-Saturday.

How many students use the bus? I brought up light rail because we all the know the perception most people have of buses. Plus, light rail would be much easier to navigate (since it is only one line in that direction) when your drunk.

How many students use the bus? I brought up light rail because we all the know the perception most people have of buses. Plus, light rail would be much easier to navigate (since it is only one line in that direction) when your drunk.

Good point. I can see where college students are uncomfortable on the bus. It's filled with alcohol smelling, low income-living off someone else-in rented homes-people wearing ripped clothes and oily looking hair.

Good point. I can see where college students are uncomfortable on the bus. It's filled with alcohol smelling, low income-living off someone else-in rented homes-people wearing ripped clothes and oily looking hair.

I don't agree with those perceptions, but I wouldn't be suprised if other people do. However, I can see how a train would be more convenient than a bus when your out drinking for a night.

I don't agree with those perceptions, but I wouldn't be suprised if other people do. However, I can see how a train would be more convenient than a bus when your out drinking for a night.

ummm i think you missed the comment being tongue-in-cheek ;) buuuut the last bus leaving at 1:30? come on, clubs are peaking at that time and then to fuel or something after that and you need a 3am bus

Since this was mentioned earlier in this thread, I figured you guys might like to know...

There's a building permit in the window of what used to be Twist. Anyone know what's going on there?

That building permit is for a $20K remodel of that space. Stepfan Latorre is taking it over. What his plans are I don't know.

That building permit is for a $20K remodel of that space. Stepfan Latorre is taking it over. What his plans are I don't know.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes. It looks like Stephan is trying to build an empire on this street. This'll be his 4th place within one block.

ummm i think you missed the comment being tongue-in-cheek ;) buuuut the last bus leaving at 1:30? come on, clubs are peaking at that time and then to fuel or something after that and you need a 3am bus

I think the clubs charter private buses up to the university as well. Those buses probably run later.

• 10 months later...

Well, it happened. Menage has been sold. And Belle's is moving, too. There is a sign in the window that says that Belle's will be moving to Daddy's location. I am not sure if Daddy's will be closing or if they will say "Daddy's -- featuring Belle's BBQ."

The former owner of Tonic, one of the best night spots ever in Charlotte IMO, has purchased the space. Tonic closed down a couple years ago when CPCC bought the space to build a parking garage. In case you never went, it was cool as hell -- sunken stone fire pits in the back for those chilly nights, posh bathrooms, and a big fireplace inside with couches all around. Tonic also had a dancefloor atmosphere sometimes (depending on the DJ), where the couches were cleared from the floor for dancing. He has said that he doesn't want to make it a copy of Tonic, but wants to appeal to the same crowd. I have a feeling that spiral slide is going to disappear.

It appeared in today's Paid to Party:

http://qhc.blogspot.com/

Archived