Crabtree area flooding

avery

Guys, be careful driving around today with all of the rainfall. I just read that Crabtree Creek is about to rise to 14 feet. At 14 feet, the water spillsover and floods the mall parking lot. 18 feet is flood stage and there is a bunch more rain coming down out there.

Here are the flood impacts of Crabtree Creek:

24.0 GLENWOOD AVENUE BECOMES IMPASSABLE

23.0 THE HIGHWAY 70 BRIDGE FLOODS. TRAVEL ON GLENWOOD AVENUE AND THE AREA AROUND CRABTREE VALLEY MALL IS SEVERELY HAMPERED

22.0 GLENWOOD AVENUE AND THE LOWER LEVEL MALL PARKING LOT AT CRABTREE VALLEY MALL FLOOD

20.0 MOST PARKING LOTS AT CRABTREE VALLEY MALL FLOOD, INCLUDING THE EXXON GAS STATION

18.0 WATER ENTERS THE LOWER ENTRANCE TO HECHTS DEPARTMENT STORE

14.0 WATER COVERS THE LOWER PARKING LOT AT CRABTREE VALLEY MALL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From WRAL:

"Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh closed at noon, due to flooding problems at the mall. Officials said they are having major problems with the drainage system on the parking decks on the Glenwood Avenue side of the mall. The drainage system is not able to handle all the rain that is coming down."

I'm so glad we are buidling a 42 story building in a flood plane. I realize the first 7 floors is a parking garage, but it is still not right (cars won't be able to get in and out if it does flood like today). In my opinion and I've said it before, you should not build in flood planes.

I drove from downtown Raleigh to RTP this morning via Glenwood/70 instead of 40 so I could drive slower without being tailgated.

At 9 am there was a little water in the "dips" on Glenwood between five points and 440. Glenwood from 440 to Creedmoor was soaked but passable. The worst was at the Creedmoor intersection, but I didn't look to the south side of Glenwood to see how that area was holding up. Now I wish I had! The next "bad spot" was near Plesant Valley, but it wasn't too bad, I was just cautious.

The worst that I saw was a drainage pipe that seems to come from the Linen and Things/Food Lion/Lowes/Target complex across from what used to be Hertz car sales. Water and mud was gushing out of it, then ran across 70, then into the median (which was then a lake) at the mid-hill plateau, and then over to eastbound 70. Traffic had to stop to one way each direction to get through it. They Lynn road intersection was relatively ok.

Westward towards the Angus Barn and 540 wasn't too bad, but I didn't dip down towards Westgate. The road seemed to "hold" the water, with little banking to cause natural drainage to the sides. I don't know if this was the intent or not, but I felt like I was close to hydroplaning a couple of times through here and along Alexander.

I only saw one car on the side of the road, in the median of the downslope between Fred Anderson Toyota and Angus Barn. I am glad I don't work near Six Forks/Wake Forest/Atlantic, or the other pictures that have been showing up on WRAL, etc. 40/Durham Freeway seems to be ok with people going close to/at the posted speed limit.

Going that way home is *not* an option. I would have taken TTA, but I know their schedule goes haywire during *normal* rain, let alone tropical storm remnants.

Traffic will be a mess at rush-hour. I drove down by Crabtree and all of the roads leading to the mall are impassable. They have road blocks everywhere. The creek is still rising and is already spilling into a lane of Glenwood. I wouldn't be surprised if Glenwood is flooded by the time rush hour hits as the creek has yet to crest.

According to a poster at Easternuswx Board:

Checked my records, and unless I made a mistake we have set a new record for most rainfall in a calendar day thru 1pm 5.54 inches has fallen, previous recrod was 5.33 inches on Oct 11th, 2002.

Now this isnt the most rainfall in 24 hours or from one event. I believe Fran on Sep 5-6 1996 with 8.8 inches is the most from one single storm or system.

<_< ok , do we stop building in houston medical city for flooding? Do we stop building in charleston for storm surge? do we leave savannah for the ever flooding problem? NO!!!! we inovate and correct to our environment. :huh: Stop over reacting to an isolated event? yeah it is a flood plain so is houston but it is our fourth largest city. let get over this and move to another subject please :thumbsup:

Archived