632 - 636 Wealthy

twoshort

I noticed that the windows were out/open in the upstairs of these buildings and there is a dumpster at one end. Looks like second stories are being gutted. Anyone know what the plan is? I see the buildings are still listed on the CARWM site...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that the windows were out/open in the upstairs of these buildings and there is a dumpster at one end. Looks like second stories are being gutted. Anyone know what the plan is? I see the buildings are still listed on the CARWM site...

Not a clue but I live on the corner of Cherry & James. I'll walk over after work and see if I can sniff anything out.

i went through this building last week with the new owner. the old owner just didn't have the knowhow or the means to make it anything so all he did was hack things apart.

this building was purchased by a guy who does his own commercial & residential investing - so it's not a formal "group". he is going to renovate it, hopefully tearing off the huge back "appendage" and will put in a parking lot there (i think he gets the nod this week or next on that). the front he is going to convert to retail space and the upstairs as living units. he would love to condo-ize them but is willing to lease them at this point as well.

hopefully they'll do this right, it would really continue the rapid growth and clean up of this end of wealthy!

edit, no real estate referrals on the site please. We have to be strict about this. Thank you.

These are great buildings. I hope the new owner continues what they have done with the Wealthy Street bakery and Art of the Table!

There's a dumpster next to this guy:

361877.JPG

Image from this listing: http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....LS=361877&C=&B=

And it looks like they pinkish one next to it is being gutted too..

These are great buildings. I hope the new owner continues what they have done with the Wealthy Street bakery and Arty of the Table!

My friend lived in the apartments above the store, I thought they were actually pretty nice, and the guy rented them at a very reasonable rate for the work he did to restore them. They made great lofts for college-aged kids.

Besides being really ugly? :)

The old Kramer Building (south side of Wealthy and east of Diamond) was built as a Hupmobile dealership in the 30's. It has been auto/truck repair related ever since.

167695832_e6f6543f92.jpg

It was recently cleaned up and is now the Fusion Beauty Salon.

A 2-story addition was added to the west on a vacant lot that the city owned. It has 2 retail storefronts and a 3-bedroom apartment above. All are occupied.

167683172_65b2bb47de.jpg

Behind the Kramer Building is a large ugly garage that was used to service trucks.

167223258_f2fd468cb7.jpg

The listing is for that rear building and the sketch indicates a possible interior plan for a live/work studio and an exterior facelift. It could actually be pretty cool space.

167679303_5a57f46c49_b.jpg

The listing is for that rear building and the sketch indicates a possible interior plan for a live/work studio and an exterior facelift. It could actually be pretty cool space.

OOOOOhhhh... ok. that place is behind my nieghbor's house. It's sure not much to look at. SOMETHING needs to be done w/ it, it's a heck of an eye sore.

Maybe it's a loft? The building doesn't look like it's 2 stories, or even 1 1/2.

You might be able to get a second story, but I'd like to see the truss configuration on the roof. Whether it's a steel beam truss or wood truss arrangement might have a bearing as to how you could layout a second floor there.

If you want to make the upper section liveable, you'll need to have about 12" to 14" of space from the ceiling to insulate it properly. There is another option if you need to save space but requires 3" to 4" of insulation foam on the roof, and the installation of a new roof over the top of the foam. Otherwise it could be a little too hot and stuffy up there in the summer for a bedroom.

I've been through it within the last month, but I'm curious to see what's been done with it since then. It's definitely got a ton of potential, and the upstairs could be some awesome condo units, albeit a little unconventional.

I'm good friends with one of the persons involved, but I don't want to say anything without getting the green light from him. Maybe I'll see if he wants to make a post on here sometime soon and get you guys all up to date.

That rendering does it much more justice. It would be a very hip live/work space. The gun-play in that area right now is a little worrisome so they might want to install some "strong" windows. ;)

Joe

Here is something I have been confused about since this addition has been added. All-in-all it is a nice addition to the neighborhood, but since it is located in a historic district, how could they get away with the cinder block facade? Does anybody know what the rules are here? I thought the materials had to be historically accurate to represent the fabric of the neighborhood. That is my only complaint about this structure.

Joe

A 2-story addition was added to the west on a vacant lot that the city owned. It has 2 retail storefronts and a 3-bedroom apartment above. All are occupied.

167683172_65b2bb47de.jpg

• 3 months later...

It is nice, and that rendering is much better than the one on CARWM. I can see an artist loving that kind of space, especially with the rotating wall partition.

edit: what's at the top of the spiral staircase?

I was staring at this building from my deck the other day, trying to figure out where the spiral staircase goes. There's a basement (I know it says spiral up), but I see there are already stairs down. Just doesn't look like enough room for a loft. Perhaps I need to be closer to the building to get a sense of the size. Anyways.. someone buy this place then call HGTV. You're a shoe in for Generation Rennovation.

Archived