Place to see World Cup action

SUjunkie

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where in the Providence area would you recommend watching the World Cup football games? I'm looking for a lively bar to root on the teams while drinking a pint in the late morning/early afternoon. Irish pubs? Federal Hill?

There was a story in the journal this week about a crowd of people watching the world cup at McFadden's. Soccer is not to popular in the USA, but it is around here because of the large Portuguese and Spanish community.

Where in the Providence area would you recommend watching the World Cup football games? I'm looking for a lively bar to root on the teams while drinking a pint in the late morning/early afternoon. Irish pubs? Federal Hill?

I was in RiRa's the other day and I think they have stuff, because they are also running a fantasy league there, so I would check out Ri Ra's

I bet that the Spanish & Portuguese-frequented bars would be playing soccer. Try some of the Portuguese places in EP. I worked a few months at SolMar, right near EP Cycles, and they had a big screen with satellite i think.

Basically any foreign-themed/frequented/operated bar will probably have soccer. A shame that the world cup doesnt get more attention in the U.S. Oh well, at least we have people like Barry Bonds to follow...

• 4 weeks later...

Had to laugh at this TripAdvisor quote from a person who stayed at the Holiday Inn, Providence, on July 4th:

"...downtown is a sort of scary place. Seems to be a race war going on or something. Italians driving around waving their own country's flag yelling from car window, and then other races strutting through the streets as if to dare you to look at them"

At first blush I was horrified for Providence, then realized there was a world cup futbol game that day in which Italy beat Germany. :rofl:

Had to laugh at this TripAdvisor quote from a person who stayed at the Holiday Inn, Providence, on July 4th:

"...downtown is a sort of scary place. Seems to be a race war going on or something. Italians driving around waving their own country's flag yelling from car window, and then other races strutting through the streets as if to dare you to look at them"

At first blush I was horified for Providence, then realized there was a world cup futbol game that day in which Italy beat Germany. :rofl:

any idea where this guy was from?

At first blush I was horrified for Providence, then realized there was a world cup futbol game that day in which Italy beat Germany. :rofl:

That's classic! Didn't they beat France though?

italy played germany on or around the 4th, which is the game jenkins was talking about... that's what got italy into the final match.

Italy beat France on the 9th (yesterday)

Germany beat Portugal on the 8th

France beat Portugal on the 5th

Italy beat Germany on the 4th

That guy would have been really freaking scared if he'd been in Montreal on Canada Day (July 1), when France and Brazil were playing.

Oh, my GOD!! OTHER RACES!! Not just walking, but STRUTTING through the streets! Who do they think they are?? Call out the National Guard!

And the Italians! God save us from the Italians!

What is this "Soccer" thing of which you speak? Sounds down-right un-American. Freedom lovers play football!

Lordy, lordy.

Archived