Favorite beach? (Vote now)

MikeR

Summer is nearly here, so I thought I'd do a poll here. Which is your favorite beach? Mine is the beach outside Ballard's on Block Island - Go inside Ballards (just off the ferry) - have a little clamboil, some beer, and volleyball on the beach out back with the Atlantic beyond - can't be beat!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer is nearly here, so I thought I'd do a poll here. Which is your favorite beach? Mine is the beach outside Ballard's on Block Island - Go inside Ballards (just off the ferry) - have a little clamboil, some beer, and volleyball on the beach out back with the Atlantic beyond - can't be beat!

Does it have to be in RI?

I could walk to this one when I lived in St. Lucia:

14ddnye.jpg

In RI, probably second beach in Newport. I just like waves and it tends to be less crowded than Naragansett Town Beach.

Having not gone to many RI beaches myself yet, I'm really curious to see the results of this poll...

Of non-RI beaches in the Northeast, I really like the Long Island beaches a lot: Robert Moses State Park, Jones Beach, etc...

I also have a soft spot for the rocky Oregon Coast beaches I just recently visited:

canonbeachsm5mr.jpg

beachbirdsfinalsm8lv.jpg

- Garris

I've only been to Narragansett beach, but it was pretty nice. What's the closest beach to Providence that's worth going to?

I'd say Oakland Beach (a bay beach) in Cranston, not so much for the beach itself, but for the pretty view, the breeze, and the dives lining the beach you can buy a drink at...

Photo of course from the web:

1-4521.jpg

Here's a question: What's the best restaurant located right on or across the street from a RI beach?

- Garris

I also have a soft spot for the rocky Oregon Coast beaches I just recently visited:

- Garris

I can't stop looking at that second pic. My brain is having a hard time figuring out the scale or something. Very interesting photo.

Narragansett Beach is the best IMO. The waves are just right, it's the most crowded (a good thing I think), I can kayak to it and avoid paying, and it's the closest decent beach to Providence. Oakland Beach is horrific and so is Goddard Park when it comes down to it. If I'm willing to venture more than the standard RI 25 miles, then East Matunuck and of course Misquamicut are great as well.

Here's a question: What's the best restaurant located right on or across the street from a RI beach?

- Garris

I would have to say the Atlantic Beach Club in Middletown. It sits right at the end of Easton's Beach (1st Beach) and it is very popular in the summertime!

Also, if you're into natural beaches (no development), that are scenic and rustic, there are two great ones: Moonstone in S. Kingstown, and Goosewing in Little Compton. I like Goosewing for its' relative seclusion and dunes. For total "fun" factor, though, I'll stick with Ballards on Block Island...Rhode Island's version of Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville"!!!

I've only been to Narragansett beach, but it was pretty nice. What's the closest beach to Providence that's worth going to?

Probably the best Bay beach that is closest to Providence would be Bristol's Town Beach - it is right next to Colt State Park; you take the same road in to both locations (the historic gate to Colt State Park with the bronze bulls). Bristol also has a decent pavilion and bathrooms. You can pick up walking trails into Colt State Park nearby, and there are also grassy soccer fields right next to it if you choose to lay out there and have a picnic (provided there are no games going on, of course!). The water is also free of pollution. There's also a skateboard park in the parking area for the beach if you're into that.

Misquamicut by far and away is the best state beach. The enviornment is clean were as Scarborough is located within wiff distance of a sewage plant. Misquamicut has a theme park feel at one end and very open private feel at the end. A water slide park, batting cages, water ballon areana, mini-golf, bumper cars, and thats just the stuff i see before the bars. Ten bars and grills, surf shops and jet ski rentals. Misquamicut really has every thing not to mention that its five mins. away from mistick pizza then just down the road from foxwoods.

most recently i've been frequenting scarborough... but i also enjoyed roger wheeler state beach.

when i was a kid growing up in CT, we used to make the hour drive at least once a month to go to misquamicut. that place is great. we loved the water slides and arcades. i haven't been there in a really long time... might have to make the trip this summer. we never went to the state beach though, always the one next to it (i think the state beach had rules that we didn't like or soemthing).

I used to live down the street from Scarborough when I was in college. It was great in September; we could walk down and have a swim. Occasionally we'd go at night. At that time of year, you'd see mostly other college students doing the same, which at the time, was great.

Narragansett Town is a bit too busy. Again, I used to get there on foot/bike to avoid the parking nightmare, but then you had to pay admission at the gate. The best bet was going after work because after 4:30 (I think) the stopped charging admission.

Similarly, there is a beach in Narr by the URI bay campus. Its tiny, but perfect for a quick dip after work.

I'd have to say of all the RI beaches I've been to, and its not that many, my favorite to spend the entire day at would be 2nd Beach in Newport.

Misquamicut by far and away is the best state beach. The enviornment is clean were as Scarborough is located within wiff distance of a sewage plant. Misquamicut has a theme park feel at one end and very open private feel at the end. A water slide park, batting cages, water ballon areana, mini-golf, bumper cars, and thats just the stuff i see before the bars. Ten bars and grills, surf shops and jet ski rentals. Misquamicut really has every thing not to mention that its five mins. away from mistick pizza then just down the road from foxwoods.

as far was a state beach you can't be misquamicut, of course the water park, and the mini golf and gocarts, aren't really the nicest, but it is fun to have the stuff around especially for kids, the beach seems never ending, but again it is always really crowded, the only nice parts where you aren't jammed with people is after the rock wall, but then you are near private beach too..

also, can you edit the topic to add a poll and add the beaches; sand hill cove, misquamicut, conimicut, scarborough, plum, east matunic, matunic, roy carpenters, and all the other beaches.?

I'd have to say of all the RI beaches I've been to, and its not that many, my favorite to spend the entire day at would be 2nd Beach in Newport.

2nd Beach is actually in Middletown...did you mean 1st Beach in Newport, on Memorial Blvd.?

As a native son of Newport's fifth ward, it has to be Gooseberry Beach. Local allegiance aside, I think Gooseberry is also part of what makes Rhode Island great.

For those who have never had the pleasure, Gooseberry is a private beach open to the public. If you are not a member you have to pay to park, but there is no per person admission fee. So for non-members its free if you bike or walk to it. Its a great family beach, with gentle surf, and a quality snack bar (which at night turns into a nice byob restaurant/cafe). The remarkable thing is the disconnect between Gooseberry's locatation and the character of its membership. Gooseberry is on Ocean Drive and accordingly, has incredible views of not only the ocean but also some of the Newport's finest "summer cottages". But Gooseberry's members are nearly all from the Fifth Ward, a largely irish and working class/middle class neighborhood. I can't imagine that there are too many places where the townies end up with their own beach club sitting next to some off the priciest real estate in the state, if not the coastal u.s. I know it would never happen today, but the fact that places like Gooseberry remain are what make R.I. special.

For those who have never had the pleasure, Gooseberry is a private beach open to the public. If you are not a member you have to pay to park, but there is no per person admission fee. So for non-members its free if you bike or walk to it. Its a great family beach, with gentle surf, and a quality snack bar (which at night turns into a nice byob restaurant/cafe). The remarkable thing is the disconnect between Gooseberry's locatation and the character of its membership. Gooseberry is on Ocean Drive and accordingly, has incredible views of not only the ocean but also some of the Newport's finest "summer cottages". But Gooseberry's members are nearly all from the Fifth Ward, a largely irish and working class/middle class neighborhood. I can't imagine that there are too many places where the townies end up with their own beach club sitting next to some off the priciest real estate in the state, if not the coastal u.s. I know it would never happen today, but the fact that places like Gooseberry remain are what make R.I. special.

Amen to that! I grew up on First (Easton's for non-Islanders)...but I have to admit I like Second, Third, and Gooseberry as well. Gooseberry is one of the most special places on the Island. You hit the nail on the head re: the soul of Gooseberry - and the same applies to much of Newport, as well. The Cliff Walk is in the same tradition of egalitarian, public water access that this state holds dear.

So, bottom line: support groups like Friends of the Waterfront. They are the watchdogs of this tradition.

Oh, and to stay on-topic: Though I grew up on First, I've got to say I like Second better. Less seaweed, less commercial, and more beautiful surroundings.

Archived