New to Charlotte, need some general info

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving my family down to Charlotte July 1st and I'm trying to find some online community resources/forums for the area. This site was the first I found and so far has been the only one of a high caliber.

The CLT (is that really a common abbreviation that people use? My mind takes me somewhere else whenever I see that) Craigslist doesn't seem very vibrant, and I have been coming up empty otherwise.

Also, a few more generic questions. TimeWarner is the cable company, yes? How about telephone service? I was a bit disappointed to see the weak broadband options :(

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving my family down to Charlotte July 1st and I'm trying to find some online community resources/forums for the area. This site was the first I found and so far has been the only one of a high caliber.

The CLT (is that really a common abbreviation that people use? My mind takes me somewhere else whenever I see that) Craigslist doesn't seem very vibrant, and I have been coming up empty otherwise.

Also, a few more generic questions. TimeWarner is the cable company, yes? How about telephone service? I was a bit disappointed to see the weak broadband options :(

Hello...and welcome.

For fun, I usually pronounce CLT the way you're thinking it. :) It makes for good reactions. That is the most common abbreviation.

TimeWarner is the cable company for most of the county, though I think North Meck may get a choice. Telephone is either BellSouth or TimeWarner (cable phone). Broadband is RoadRunner cable highspeed through TimeWarner or BellSouth DSL.

What was Craigslist lacking in? Are you looking for rentals or for sale?

Are you living in the city limits? Where are you coming from?

Maybe I ought to make a relocation thread.

Basically in Mecklenburg county you have broadband access either via the cable or DSL. If you go the DSL route you are stuck with BellSouth which povides an expensive and not very fast service.

As atlrvr mentioned. Its Time Warner cable in most of Mecklenburg except around Lake Norman its Adelphia. I have my telephone service through packet8.net. Of course you can go with Vonage or other similar service. My cable broadband is fairly fast. 6.5M down/856K up.

Verizon and Sprint offer wireless broadband, but it is comparitively expensive.

We just rented out a condo through craigslist so it does seem to be effective. Maybe you are not looking at the right place.

I would personally enjoy seeing a relocation thread. If it's contained in one thread then relocation threads won't overwhelm the coffee house and many questions will be answered and stuck at the top for anyone who needs a little help. I'm sure a lot of people browse through here and in many cases we do have more information on many neighborhoods then even the neighborhood websites.

I will also add that the SC section of the metro has Comporium Cable.

Hi all,

There seems to be two duplicates of this post in the Index, but I can't seem to find a way to delete them.

In any case, we are moving (July 1st) from suburban NYC (Westchester county) to Matthews. We bought a nice 3br / 1800 sqft house that would have cost at least 3-4x here in NY.

In regards to Craigslist, I was thinking more of the Employment classifieds. Are there other websites for local job hunting that are not just fronts for CareerBuilder or Monster? Or is the Observer the best bet once we get down there?

Also, as a parent of 3 (and stay home dad) I'll be looking for kids activities, info on parks and such.

I know that UP has a different focus but as I mentioned it seems to be the only active forum I have been able to find, so I apologize for the off topic questions, though I can see it is not just myself with questions, as CLT has quite a growing population.

Here are some links:

Ray's Splash Planet an indoor water park

Charlotte Whitewater Park

Levine Museum of the New South a great place to take kids but also a great way for adults to learn a lot about the local history post Civil War.

Imaginon Children's Learning Center which also houses the Children's Theatre

Discovery Place Nature and Science Museum for kids

I'll think of some more.

Latta Plantation also home to the Carolina Raptor Center. Latta Palntation is a historic site that offers tours and kids camps. The Raptor Center is in the business of the conservation of birds of prey, they also offer kids programs. I also believe horse back riding is available here.

Inner Peaks Rock Climbing Gym in Matthews.

Historic Brattonsville in York Co.

Queen's Landing has River Boat lunch tours on Lake Norman that are reasonably priced.

The Charlotte Museum of History This and the Mint museum of art and Craft & Design may be little dry for young kids but I thought I'd throw them on here.

I'm sorry if I'm going a little nutty but it's fun to remember all of the things you did as a kid. I'm sort of reminiscing out loud.

Take a tour of Reed Gold Mine.

Remember your only a short drive from places like Charleston which has such a tremendous wealth of historic attractions. You're also close to Winston-Salem so a tour of Old Salem would be a quick day trip. Charleston is very southern while Old Salem has more of a Northern almost New England like feel.

Charlotte Knights' Games (our minor league baseball team) are always cheap and fun outings.

Crowders Mountain is nearby with hiking and climbing opportunities for kids.

Both Lake Norman and Lake Wylie are full of water based activities.

OK, I guess I'm done.

Melk, the job postings are mostly just monster and careerbuilder (which is the Observer's online career partner)... most of the listings are direct with each company's website. You can also find a few gems with career placement offices, check their websites too. As always, the best is networking. There is a wide range of people in the Charlotte forum....

I'm sorry if I'm going a little nutty but it's fun to remember all of the things you did as a kid. I'm sort of reminiscing out loud.

OK, I guess I'm done.

Hey, you forgot CAROWINDS!!

She did say 3 kids, right?

You'll find one of the best kids areas in the nation and some pretty good adult coasters too.

There is also CharlotteHelpWanted.com and jobs.com. I suggest looking for local trade chapters as well. For example, when I was in search of a Public Relations job, I found PRSA of Charlotte. There may also be job links through the Charlotte Chamber. And, if you are a church goer, church is an excellent way to meet people and pass along your credentials to them (of course, I hope that wouldn't be the only reason for attending services).

Archived