Memphis Vacation: What to do in two days?

PCGrad02

I would appreciate everyone's input on this:

My wife and I are going to Memphis @ the end of this month to visit her father and his wife. They live out in Collierville/Sprawl. We've been out a few times before, done the Graceland and Corky's deal, but that's about it. I was looking for ideas as to what to do, where to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner in the Memphis area. I only have two days to see the city as we are going to Pickwick for the majority of our time there (boring to me) I'd much rather spend time in the city. I was also wondering if anyone had any information on the Planning Dept./Program at the University of Memphis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go on either one of these two tours:

http://www.memphisrocktour.com/

http://www.americandreamsafari.com/index.p...et=hmix&mode=hm

You won't regret it. Actually, everyone one in Memphis should go on one of these two tours. You will fall in love with the city all over again.

Then eat at Ellen's or Stein's Soul food, or Paynes or Cozy Corner's BBQ restaurants. Follow it up in the evening with a nice downtown's eateries or one of midtown's rock clubs.

This is just a suggestion, but if you have the time, go to CK's Coffee Shop. Not the one in Germantown! In the city, there are several locations that come to mind. 2 in East Memphis (by the intersections of Park/Mt. Moriah, and Perkins/Southern). 2 more in Midtown (on Highland b/t Southern and Poplar; and at the Cleveland/Poplar intersection). They're open 24 hours, and few places offer such a taste of genuine Memphis conversation. If Tennessee ever outlaws smoking in restaurants, look for CK's to quietly go out of business.

For a real taste of Memphis music, I'd go to Wild Bill's on Chelsea Avenue in Midtown. It's one of the few old-time blues joints, the kind where the blues band doesn't start til 10:30 or so and where they only serve beer in quarts. I believe they only have music on Fridays and Saturday nights. Before the band starts, I believe they also serve food--generally fried, southern, soulfood stuff.

^ I agree with the RedBirds game. That is a great venue for entertainment downtown IMO. Its really affordable too. Also, going to the skydeck of the Peabody Hotel is a fun time for anyone interested in urban views and skyscrapers.

As for eating, for lunch or dinner I would recommend the Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale for a good meal of BBQ, Red Beans & Rice, or other southern dish.

If you like sight seeing, ride the trolly downtown. If you wanted to go out to eat for the evening you could go to the Spaghetti Warehouse (im not sure what street its on, but the southern part of the riverfront trolley line has a station for it) or you could go to the Rendevous restaurant which is located in a back alley in the block of Union Ave(south) 2nd St.(west) Monroe Ave(north) and 3rd St.(east).

Also if your looking for some place fun you can go to the Peabody Place Mall which has a massive movie theatre, an arcade, indoor mini golf, a lot of specialty stores, and good restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions, we ended up staying in the Memphis are the entire time, no trip out to Pickwick. We went to the Rum Boogie Cafe, walked around Beale St, had drinks and saw the dueling piano show @ Pat O' Brien's, had ribs late night @ the Blues City Cafe, had a drink in the lobby of the Peabody, saw Mud Island and the Mississippi, the Pyramid Arena, FedEx, AutoZone, Peabody Place, etc. Had a great time downtown, can't wait to get back again. We also spent quite a bit of time out in suburbia, played a round of golf @ Memphis National, went to The Avenue in Collierville, lunch @ Corky's, dinner at the Crescent Club. My wife and I even spent a day looking at homes in the area, you just may add two more transplants. Memphis is a lively city, always interesting to visit, you have a real gem down there. Thanks Again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we ended up staying in the Memphis are the entire time, no trip out to Pickwick. We went to the Rum Boogie Cafe, walked around Beale St, had drinks and saw the dueling piano show @ Pat O' Brien's, had ribs late night @ the Blues City Cafe, had a drink in the lobby of the Peabody, saw Mud Island and the Mississippi, the Pyramid Arena, FedEx, AutoZone, Peabody Place, etc. Had a great time downtown, can't wait to get back again. We also spent quite a bit of time out in suburbia, played a round of golf @ Memphis National, went to The Avenue in Collierville, lunch @ Corky's, dinner at the Crescent Club. My wife and I even spent a day looking at homes in the area, you just may add two more transplants. Memphis is a lively city, always interesting to visit, you have a real gem down there. Thanks Again.

cool, where are you from?

i havent been to the avenue yet, (no need as i live 3 minutes from wolfchase) how is it?

I'm from Connecticut and my wife is from Canada originally. The Avenue was really nice, your typical outdoor "lifestyle center" but with nice landscaping, etc. There was a good mix of stores, geared towards somewhat higher income. I liked the overall layout. Is wolfchase the huge mall off of Germantown Pky @ I-240? We saw that when we were looking at houses in that area.

I'm from Connecticut and my wife is from Canada originally. The Avenue was really nice, your typical outdoor "lifestyle center" but with nice landscaping, etc. There was a good mix of stores, geared towards somewhat higher income. I liked the overall layout. Is wolfchase the huge mall off of Germantown Pky @ I-240? We saw that when we were looking at houses in that area.

Yeah. I heard that it was the largest in Tennessee. Great shopping there. IMO. My girlfriend stays in that area, very nice there.

Yeah. I heard that it was the largest in Tennessee. Great shopping there. IMO. My girlfriend stays in that area, very nice there.

No, that's Hamilton Place in Chattanooga. It is 1 of the top 3 largest in the state though.

No, that's Hamilton Place in Chattanooga. It is 1 of the top 3 largest in the state though.

If it's not the largest, it has to be an extremely close second...I'm gonna have to see what the exact square footage is of Wolfchase b/c the Hamilton Place website says it is 1.145 million sq. feet while a wolfchase article says that it's "over 1.1 million" sq. feet.

How is Hamilton Place as a mall? I was looking at it's tenant list, and it's very diverse. You had upscale places like Parisian and Jos. a bank but then there was Leslie Pool and places that seemed kinda low-end. Kinda neat to see a balance!

Archived