States Under-Represented in the Majors

Richhamleigh, DC

I know that this blog always has a NC slant. I think that is why there is all the feeling that NC has been short changed on the number of pro teams that is has. Let's not forget VA. It has the largest population with no pro teams at all. Of course you could easily say that VA has the DC teams. There is a lot to that, but both the Tidewater region and Richmond are large enough to handle pro teams in some sports.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that this blog always has a NC slant. I think that is why there is all the feeling that NC has been short changed on the number of pro teams that is has. Let's not forget VA. It has the largest population with no pro teams at all. Of course you could easily say that VA has the DC teams. There is a lot to that, but both the Tidewater region and Richmond are large enough to handle pro teams in some sports.

Couldn't have said it any better than that :yahoo:

Couldn't have said it any better than that :yahoo:

Well where are the buisness partners that can get the money together. I know the penguins were sold to a Hartford investment group-now the Sonics were sold to an OKC investment group-Portland is having trouble with their arena deal etc...the point I am trying to make is there are and were opportunities for Norfolk. It just takes some headstrong people to defy the status quo. I for one am rooting for you guys because I lived in Hampton for a couple of years and loved the place.

^^^ Good points Pgh. Here's another observation about the appeal of college sports in the South...forever, they were the only game in town, and in NC - projected to be the 7th biggest state in population (12 million +) in 24 years - it's still largely the only game in town. Nevertheless, in any case, there is no tradition for college baseball in the South and as you know, loyality to any particular major league team dies hard (think: Hartford Whalers). There's isn't a vaccuum of fan support in places like NC but while people in places without MLB are fans of the Braves or Orioles, in the case of the Florida teams, their fan base will certainly grow or in the case of NC - plant a team there and I believe people will be glad to have the opportunity to kick the Braves around...

I'm curious where you got the impression that there is no tradition for college baseball in the south? Most of the top-drawing teams for college baseball are located in the southeast, especially in the SEC. The following figures are for 2004. I'll use the state of South Carolina, for example. Between just USC and Clemson, we drew about 275,000 fans in barely more than 1/3 of the home games a major league team would play, many of which are early season day games against inferior teams (similar draw to spring training). If you extrapolated that figure out to a major league season you're talking about attendance of 825,000 and we all know that a major league baseball team would be a bigger draw.

TOTAL HOME ATTENDANCE - 2004

Team Dates Attendance Avg

1. LSU.......................... 34 265,255

2. Mississippi St........... 34 211,277

3. Texas ....................... 38 197,338

4. Arkansas.................. 39 186,588

5. Texas A&M............... 35 182,866

6. South Carolina......... 41 159,142

7. Alabama................... 33 146,110

8. Mississippi............... 35 122,382

9. Clemson................... 32 116,781

10. Rice.......................... 36 116,269