Big news on the future of housing in New Orleans

NCB

HUD to tear down four housing developments

Article

Four public housing developments in New Orleans; St. Bernard, C.J. Peete, B.W. Cooper, and Lafitte will be demolished, and will be replaced with mixed-income housing, like the River Garden Project in Mid-City near the River. The public housing developments of Fisher, Hendee, Guste and Iberville will be cleaned up and repaired by August to accommodate another 1,000 families displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

Video

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

River Garden

rvrgdncondos7vm.jpg

We could be seeing many more projects like the River Garden popping up around the city, replacing New Orleans' notorious projects. River Garden is a mixed income housing development, with future plans ranging from one bedroom apartments all the way up to large riverfront condos.

For more information on the River Garden project, click here: Link

The only knowledge I have about those projects are from listening to N.O. rappers, especially the Magnolia & Calliope. Master P was supposed to buy the Calliope back in 2000 but for some reason that fell through, the purpose was to allow residents to live rent free until they can save up enough money to finally move out of the 'hood. On the flip side, I dig the idea of mixed-income housing, in a way it brings the rich & poor together, which is what Chicago is doing with the infamous Cabrini-Green projects.

I'd expect a sharp rise in crime in the remaining projects short term, as residents of the demolished projects mix together, sparking turf wars. Kinda like throwing one ant pile on top of another. Long term this is better for the city... no doubt.

• 5 months later...

magnolia2.gif-Magnolia Projects #1.

magnolia3.gif-Another shot of the Magnolia.

cooper2.gif-CP3 aka Calliope Projects 3rd Ward. Much like Magnolia, this housing project ranks globally & nationally in terms of treachery.

cooper3.gif-Another shot of Calliope, this location is off Earhart Blvd.

Note: Many of the rappers that have come from these projects have shot most of, if not all their videos in their home projects. Since Katrina struck, these projects have been severely damaged & they remain closed, plus are set to be torn down. Take a good look because this is the last time anyone from N.O. will see these projects and the rest of the state will hear about them. Decades ago, whites made up about half of the project residents, but when they got the means to leave, they did, only leaving the destitute.

Magnolia got renovated in the early 90s and just as soon as renovations were complete, the project fell into disrepair, in worse shape than before. Some sections of the Magnolia are deserted and have tall weeds growing around them. I can't remember the last time Calliope got fixed up, if ever.. I would advise you to drive through the Magnolia & Calliope to see some of the abandoned buildings but nah, I'm not trying to get you killed & have you on the 11:00 news so scratch that suggestion.

Magnolia got renovated in the early 90s and just as soon as renovations were complete, the project fell into disrepair, in worse shape than before. Some sections of the Magnolia are deserted and have tall weeds growing around them. I can't remember the last time Calliope got fixed up, if ever.. I would advise you to drive through the Magnolia & Calliope to see some of the abandoned buildings but nah, I'm not trying to get you killed & have you on the 11:00 news so scratch that suggestion.

I'll tell you...one of the amazing things to me at that time was that they had just finished renovating the insides of the apartments in several of the buildings in St. Thomas...but hadn't touched the exteriors. So I would walk through absolute squalor until I'd get to the actual apartment door....and then the door would open and there would be this room with a nice fireplace, and new wall and floor finishes and countertops, etc. It really blew my mind because I'd first gone into St. Bernard and Iberville where the apartments themselves were in terrible shape.

I remember going to an appointment in one of the N.O. East apartment complexes that has since been torn down because of the disrepair it was in and the crime; this guy answers my knock by opening the door about and inch...I can just see this eye peeking out, and he says "What you want?" I say the name of who I'm supposed to be meeting (apparently one of their girlfriends), and the guy swings the door open all friendly like now. There's the girl I'm supposed to be meeting, and about six guys in there....and the only furniture I see is a folding card table with a few folding chairs around it. Now, I'm getting nervous about now, right? LOL The guy points me past a doorway, and I look inside and see no furniture in this bedroom, but almost all of the floor space is covered with electronic stereo equipment still in the boxes, stacked about halfway up the walls. LOL

The only people that won't be able to get affordable housing are the people with no jobs who only come to the projects for criminal reasons, i.e. hustle, sling drugs, etc. Everyone else that has a job & genuinely needs a home will be able to get affordable housing. As far as crime being higher, that is true. Ever since Magnolia, Lafitte & St. Bernard have been closed, folk (criminal element included) have went to other projects and there's been beef going on, folk from the 3rd Ward come in with the 7th ward, and so on.

Archived