Big news on the future of housing in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for the good people who lived in the projects... I really do. But they have no right to live in those buildings. I just don't think they understand that. I'm fine with them filling a few of the projects again temporarily, but only if we cycle the people around until all of these facilities are replaced by a different model. Have them live in a few while the others are replaced, then move them to the new ones, and so on...

I'll just never understand why these people are fighting against a new model for development that would undoubtably improve their lives. There is a HUGE lack of understanding on this issue.

L-Beware, I'd assume you just got carried away with your emotions in your post. I don't think you'd be saying the same thing if you lived here and grew up watching how horrid our system of projects were.

I leave you all with this... Chicago Mayor Daley... perhaps the best mayor in the history of this country, took Chicago and turned it into a model large city. It is safe, clean, and efficient. It is attracting businesses instead of running them off. The first thing he did when he took office was tear down all of Chicago's high-density projects. He didn't do this on a whim. There are concrete reasons why we must do this, and there are clear examples of success... even within our own city.

The housing projects are an outdated model that has proven ineffective. These types of developments are being torn down and replaced by mixed-income communities across the nation, and this model has proven to be effective. Plans were in place before the hurricane to tear down these buildings, and I think they should proceed with the pre-K plans immediately. In fact, I am discouraged and disheartened by the fact that these buildings remain standing today. It has been 1.5 years since the hurricane struck. In that time, these buildings could have been torn down and cleared away, with new mixed-income communities already being built on that land. Instead, we are left with rotting eyesores. I hope the Maxine Waters bill does not pass.

Archived