Big news on the future of housing in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about it, how can someone with no job be able to get public housing? Unless they have connections with the HANO or on welfare, they're basically on their own. In '96, there's a one-strike-and-your out law geared towards criminality in the projects. It basically means if you or someone you know has a record and is caught doing dirt while living in public housing, your butt is out. That law's been on the books since '96. Ya boy does his homework on stuff like this.

What are you talking about??? What youre saying has absolutely nothing to do with nothing. You sound like you just talking to hear yourself. One minute you biggin up and braggin about the hood next minute you tryin to downplay it. Make up your mind.

What we're speaking on has absolutely nothing to do with people that dont have jobs or the "criminal element" like you say.

We're speaking on legal residents of the housing projects that have jobs and lease agreements for the apartments that they lived in. When the projects are torn down, and the mixed income housing is built. The total number of apartments built to replace the projects are less than the total number of apartments the projects had.

Of those units, less than HALF of them are set aside for residents of the projects. The majority of them are for high income people, and only a small percentage of the residents whose projects were torn down get to move into the new housing.

The huge MAJORITY of them are shipped to other projects, and those that cant get in that have to find a way to fend for themselves. Or some might get Section 8 vouchers to move into a house somewhere else.

But the BULK of the residents do not get to move into the new housing. The majority just get moved to a different housing project. These are FACTS Im telling you. I dont have a clue on what youre talkin bout. But it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Speaking of that. You seem to know so much about the N.O. Exposed DVD. You of all people should know that when the St. Thomas got torn down, and they built the "River Gardens" "mixed-income" housing.

Did the majority of the residents get apartments in River Gardens??

NO. They got shipped to the St. Bernard, Iberville, and other projects. Only a small few get the opportunity to take advantage of the mixed-income. The majority of it is set up for people that dont need government assistance. Its just another slick form of gentrification. They just dress it up with a cute name, "mixed income housing". "Affordable Housing".

When the majority of it isnt affordable at ALL.

NewOrleans had it's fair share of public housing , there were just too many. Sorry but some of those projects need to be torn down.I actually think that it's NewOrleans fault anyway because, we took it way too easy on the people in the public housing. In other cities you would have to make a certain income to apply for public housing , and you should have a certain period to be in them.In New Orleans any an everybody can live in public housing. One of the ladies at the meeting said that she's been in public housing for 20 years thats a long damn time . I am happy that New Orleans is finally waking up to its senses.

What are you talking about??? What youre saying has absolutely nothing to do with nothing. You sound like you just talking to hear yourself. One minute you biggin up and braggin about the hood next minute you tryin to downplay it. Make up your mind.

What we're speaking on has absolutely nothing to do with people that dont have jobs or the "criminal element" like you say.

We're speaking on legal residents of the housing projects that have jobs and lease agreements for the apartments that they lived in. When the projects are torn down, and the mixed income housing is built. The total number of apartments built to replace the projects are less than the total number of apartments the projects had.

Of those units, less than HALF of them are set aside for residents of the projects. The majority of them are for high income people, and only a small percentage of the residents whose projects were torn down get to move into the new housing.

The huge MAJORITY of them are shipped to other projects, and those that cant get in that have to find a way to fend for themselves. Or some might get Section 8 vouchers to move into a house somewhere else.

But the BULK of the residents do not get to move into the new housing. The majority just get moved to a different housing project. These are FACTS Im telling you. I dont have a clue on what youre talkin bout. But it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Speaking of that. You seem to know so much about the N.O. Exposed DVD. You of all people should know that when the St. Thomas got torn down, and they built the "River Gardens" "mixed-income" housing.

Did the majority of the residents get apartments in River Gardens??

NO. They got shipped to the St. Bernard, Iberville, and other projects. Only a small few get the opportunity to take advantage of the mixed-income. The majority of it is set up for people that dont need government assistance. Its just another slick form of gentrification. They just dress it up with a cute name, "mixed income housing". "Affordable Housing".

When the majority of it isnt affordable at ALL.

• 2 months later...

The last response was right on point, it's all about the $$$$. It's real easy to tear something down rather than take the time to fix it up. For many of the residents, that's all they ever knew was public housing and to throw them out like that is seriously f'ed up. When Magnolia, Calliope, Lafitte & St.Bernard were first built they didn't start out as crime-infested, they were well-maintained. The criminality & infamy started in the 80s when conditions in the aforementioned projects declined severely. I totally understand the residents' concern (the ones who are legit, not the thugs and drug dealers) about where they're going to live. But at the same time, St.Thomas got torn down not only due to it being notoriously dangerous but because it sat on valuable property.

"Lafitte could be repaired for $20 million, even completely overhauled for $85 million while the estimate for demolition and rebuilding many fewer units will cost over $100 million. St. Bernard could be repaired for $41 million, substantially modernized for $130 million while demolition and rebuilding less units will cost $197 million. BW Cooper could be substantially renovated for $135 million compared to $221 million to demolish and rebuild less units. Their own insurance company reported that it would take less than $5000 each to repair each of the CJ Peete apartments."

Seems to me that it would make more sense economically to fix them up instead of tear them down. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Will Magnolia, Calliope. St.Bernard and Lafitte be destroyed? To Be Continued.....

^^^It's beyond ironic, it's downright hilarious. :rofl: Where I am from a notoriously bad public housing project named Metropolitan Garden which was located on the eastern edge of downtown Birmingham was recently torn down. It has been replaced by Park Place, a massive mixed-used development. I've had my chance to tour the townhouses and apartments there and they are excellent and vastly improved the appearance of the whole area. A new K-8 school offering advance courses in all subjects is to open there in the fall.

I believe in the long run it is better to torn down this type of places because they offer nothing to any of its residents and basically become havens of the problems.

What Mr. Quigley fails to address is the older and historically more important neighborhoods that these murderous liabilities have been ALLOWED to exist within for decades now. One wonders why folk are so intent on re-opening these dangers to our city. :dontknow: They have choked and sucked the life out of our beautiful neighborhoods for years. Resident diehards are weary of crime pre-k as well as post-k. These buildings are not beautiful nor are they so important historically as to usurp the historical importance of the environs in which they exist; the NEIGHBORHOODS/HOMES/ARCHITECTURE are what defines and explains the history of this 300 year old broad....not ghetto VOTING BLOCS. New Orleans will NEVER be the city she once was and can still be with murderous ghettos dominating and radiating their dark ethos into the surrounding neighborhoods. The riverside of uptown has a much lighter feel to it since St. Thomas was demolished. These experiments were/are to be temporary revolving doors/stepping-stones to a better way of life......not arbiters and fomenters of black culture...and not places where people admit to living in for 30-40 years. Isn't it interesting that at the protest to re-open St. Bernard the police arrested a wanted murderer. How civic of him to be so involved in the process of re-openeing a labrynthian maze that he and his kind find SO easy to entrench and hide themselves in. I say tear them down. Tis a new day in our fair Crescent City. :camera:

The time from when Katrina happened till now shows that with or without the housing projects the crime/murder problem will still remain. Allowing citizens back into their rightful homes does nothing to accelerate crime. The projects are closed down now and have been since Katrina and crime is HIGHER than it was when the projects were inhabited before Katrina.

Thats not true. The murder rate is higher. Not "about the same". And regardless. My point is that having them closed down had no positive affect on the crime rate. With that bein said given the fact that it costs more to tear em down, housing is as scarce as it is. Do the right thing and put these people back in their homes. At the very least they should allow residents back into the apartments that are inhabitable. Alot of those apartments were recently renovated too. They looked modern and brand new.

But the bottom line is that this is just the first step into the reformation of New Orleans and the gentrification process. New Orleans will forever be gone/changed. It aint comin back.

EDIT:

And furthermore. The projects arent the root of the crime problem. If you wanna cut a tree down you cut it at the root. You dont cut the branches off and think thats gonna get rid of the tree. With or without those projects the crime remains. So using tearing down the projects as an excuse to combat crime is a poor one. Especially given the housing crisis in the city at this point.

My position isnt that they should open them ALL back up. But I do think just as it is logical and the best choice in some cases to demolish some of them. It is also logical and best choice to allow residents to remain in some of the units.

There is a difference between "crime" and "murder," that's what I'm saying. You keep saying "crime" is up after Katrina, while in reality everything but murder is down dramatically in New Orleans.

The projects in New Orleans served as safe-havens for criminals and breeding grounds for even more crime for decades, and opening them up just as they were pre-Katrina will solve nothing in that regard. Rethinking the plans for low and mid-income housing in New Orleans may not completely take care of the crime, but it's more than a step in the right direction to doing so. Let's build more affordable housing, not just open the projects back up again to allow all of the problems that occured in them pre-Katrina to continue on now.

We need a New Police Chief and Da . I think that's the reason why crime is the way that it is , is because we have the wrong people in office for years . Do you guys know that when Richard Pennington was Police Chief homocides were down 50% ? the only thing mayor Nagin did was bring businesses to the city that's it he has a habbit of hiring inadaquet people . L-beware the only thing that I agree with in you post is that New Orleans will forever be changed , as far as it being gone and not coming back you're getting ahead of yourself. It's going to take some time, but it's coming back. I don't wish anything bad on anyone one , but if this would have happened of some of these jerkoffs I want to know how would they have taken katrina? New Orleans we are in this alone alot of people don't understand what we are going through.

To a certain extent, L-Beware is right. When the projects shut down after Katrina, the murder rate has gone up somewhat due to people from Magnolia, Calliope, St. Bernard & Lafitte moving into other projects, knowing people from one project don't get along with people from another housing project. The OLD New Orleans will be gone, but New Orleans in general isn't going away, we still gonna be here.

The time from when Katrina happened till now shows that with or without the housing projects the crime/murder problem will still remain. Allowing citizens back into their rightful homes does nothing to accelerate crime. The projects are closed down now and have been since Katrina and crime is HIGHER than it was when the projects were inhabited before Katrina.

They are not "rightful" homes to anyone except the taxpayer who has witnessed the bloody carnage these "bricks" have birthed for decades now. Your statement is most assured that crime is worse and or going to get worse and not ebb. So if crime is worse, why would we re-open that which is THE MOST detriment to the recovery of our desolated neighborhoods?? :unsure: Yet crime on the riverside of uptown is much lower since St. Thomas has been demolished; and former WORTHY residents of St. Thomas had first choice to the new homes and are living in River Gardens as we speak. The current crime wave is a result of a frenetic roach scurry as the light has been shone and purging has begun upon the former caves of the drug-thug dwellers of these liabilities. In the future it will be much easier to find and track down drug dealers and murderers amidst the normal configuration of neighborhoods as opposed to the bricks which act like ancient Roman caverns that hide the vampire from the light of day. I would buy a home once again in the city if these behomoths were torn down and rebuilt. But not until then.

Archived