Relocating to Charlotte?

monsoon

Yes there is. On the back of my ridiculously high property tax bill that I just received, it says there are additional taxes to be paid if you live downtown, at University City, Davidson and a few other places. There is apparently something called a Law Enforcement district as well (have no idea what or where that is). The tax bill did not give the rates, but it would be in addition to the county and city taxes you pay.

Interesting - it does look like there's an extra "Special District" tax on downtown in people's bill inside the loop. Still can't find specifics on the site.

The Law Enforcement District tax is assessed on people in unincorporated areas of county who do not pay tax to one of the towns. That's shown in the first table on the 2006 Tax Rates page.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - it does look like there's an extra "Special District" tax on downtown in people's bill inside the loop. Still can't find specifics on the site.

The Law Enforcement District tax is assessed on people in unincorporated areas of county who do not pay tax to one of the towns. That's shown in the first table on the 2006 Tax Rates page.

They are called Municipal Service Tax Districts. Here's the information I found:

Municipal District Rate Combined City/County Rate

Charlotte District 1 .0174 1.2742

Charlotte District 2 .0298 1.2866

Charlotte District 3 .0445 1.3013

Charlotte District 4 .0668 1.3236

Charlotte District 5 .0300 1.2868

Davidson District .14 1.2417

If your property is in one of the districts, add the indicated rate and calculate as indicated for basic property taxes. For example, the South End is District 4, so add .0668 in taxes to the regular rate. A $200,000 South End condo will have an additional tax of about $13.

Here's the FAQ link: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/elhlx...tricts+Info.pdf

Sorry, not relocating to Charlotte, but visiting this weekend and have questions. We are going to the Autofair on Friday, but on Saturday, I want to go into the downtown area and see all of the buildings. Can someone recommend a route from Concord with lower amounts of traffic and a good area to visit in the downtown area? Also- how do I get to the "center city" area from Concord? After that, we are going to Lancaster, SC.

Thanks!

To add to that, to get to Lancaster, take I-77 South to I-485 and go east on it. When you see the exit for Hwy 521 South take that and follow it to downtown Lancaster. Be careful not to take the 521 North exit which is a couple of miles closer to I-77. The other way to do this if you have the time is to get on South Blvd (which is Hwy 521) in South End and follow it out of town. Along this route you will get some good views of the new light rail line under construction.

Sorry, not relocating to Charlotte, but visiting this weekend and have questions. We are going to the Autofair on Friday, but on Saturday, I want to go into the downtown area and see all of the buildings. Can someone recommend a route from Concord with lower amounts of traffic and a good area to visit in the downtown area? Also- how do I get to the "center city" area from Concord? After that, we are going to Lancaster, SC.

Thanks!

You can also take the scenic route on US 29 which becomes N. Tryon. It's a straight shot to the Square from LMS. Traffic is usually smooth. Some folks might debate the scenery on some parts but I like it better than the interstate scenery. There's also an awesome fried chicken place - Chicken Box - on the way at N. Tryon and Craighead.

Thanks for the replies guys! Finally made it back from Charlotte and Lancaster in one piece! WOW, I was not expecting that Charlotte traffic. :D Friday evening rush hour going down I-77- should have expected it though. First, going down, we got into traffic backups around Statesville on I-77. City never sleeps. All night long, traffic roared up and down I-77. Also, as expected, kept running into traffic backups in the downtown area on I-77 (or it may have been I-85). Seen no accidents, but I wonder- just how many are there typically? I must say after visiting Charlotte, I will never complain about local traffic again, no matter how thick it is here. :D

We kept getting sidetracked, trying to find a kennel down there to watch our beagle pup, so we could to the autofair. Ended going onto Pineville in southwest Charlotte and checking into our hotel and went on to the AJ state park in Lancaster, SC. I loved it down there. Seeing some tall palm trees was a neat treat too. Pictured below. Some of you locals may know where this was taken. Actually, it was taken on Highway 52. We have some here, but none that large. I took alot of photos, many of which I will post here of my travels down there. One building in downtown Charlotte was being built- I got a neat photo of it too.

I also took alot of car photos at the speedway, which I will post too if someone would like me to post some of those too.

100_2870.jpg

100_2869.jpg

100_2896.jpg

100_2912.jpg

100_2926.jpg

100_2927.jpg

100_2913.jpg

100_2929.jpg

These last photos are heading home, northbound up I-77 just as we crossed into Virginia. This is up a steep grade heading into the mountains. The "scenic outlook" photos are looking back southeastward toward the foothills in North Carolina on the otherside of the continental divide- the area from where we just came from. At the bottom, the car thermometer was reading 83

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Those are cabbage palmetto trees (state tree of SC) and those are really planted too far north as they don't occur naturally much past the coast this far North. 10 years ago you would not have seen them in Lancaster country but more than a decade of warm winters has made it possible. I've even seen them here in Charlotte.

Thanks. I did not see any in Charlotte- I wish I had of. If not looking at all of the traffic, I may have seen some. :D I did see some nice southern live oaks though in Charlotte. One was outside of our hotel room....

I have a couple of these that I am trying to grow here. So far so good.... For now. :unsure:

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Those are cabbage palmetto trees (state tree of SC) and those are really planted too far north as they don't occur naturally much past the coast this far North. 10 years ago you would not have seen them in Lancaster country but more than a decade of warm winters has made it possible. I've even seen them here in Charlotte.

post-9639-1158902326_thumb.jpg

post-9639-1158902326_thumb.jpg

This is really too far north for them too as that tree demonstrates. The really nice live oaks exist where you find the palmetto, i.e. Coastal SC and the lower coastal plane of SC, GA, and of course in Fla and around the Gulf. These are huge trees that are characterized by long horizontal branches with spanish moss hanging off of them. Spanish moss isn't found here either.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am currently in the beginning stages of relocating to Charlotte from Cleveland. This will be a single relo. I'm wondering about job prospects there for call center, customer service postions. Would it be a good idea to start with a temp agency? Also, what is the cost of living compared to say Atlanta?

Hi. I am currently in the beginning stages of relocating to Charlotte from Cleveland. This will be a single relo. I'm wondering about job prospects there for call center, customer service postions. Would it be a good idea to start with a temp agency? Also, what is the cost of living compared to say Atlanta?

One of the larger cell phone companies also has a call center in Charlotte. I don't remember which now but I'm thinking it's possibly Verizon or Altell. Of course Citi Bank has a large collections call center off of I-77 but I doubt that's the kind of "customer service" you were looking for.

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks,

I have a friend moving to Quarterside in Charlotte . She told me how beautiful and peaceful the city is versus Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. I have been inspired also. Yesterday my stop, before continuing to FLL, was at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. What a lovely airport...rocking chairs, nice shopping spots, good restaurants/vendors, and Friendly People. It spells Welcome!

A couple of questions.....how far is the airport from where she is living and is there transportation or service of a shuttle to and from one's home to the airport?

What are the taxes like in the uptown area? Any advise on where I might inform myself?

I wrote to the city and asked for a package however I was told that it was not a possibility. Asheville sent me one but Charlotte did not. Nevertheless I have never run into anyone who does not like Charlotte!

I am not sure where Quarterside is located, so I can't help you with the distance. Your best bet is to take a cab from the airport, or check http://ridetransit.org to see if the place you want to go is on a bus transit route.

In Charlotte you pay city and county property taxes. In downtown, it's somewhere close to $1.30 or so for every $100 of assessed tax value. However these taxes are deductible from state and federal income tax. Beyond that, here is a 7.5% combined state and local sales tax on retail purchases. If you do a google search on Charlotte Mecklenburg tax collector you should get to the site you need for more details.

Hello Folks,

I have a friend moving to Quarterside in Charlotte . She told me how beautiful and peaceful the city is versus Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. I have been inspired also. Yesterday my stop, before continuing to FLL, was at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. What a lovely airport...rocking chairs, nice shopping spots, good restaurants/vendors, and Friendly People. It spells Welcome!

A couple of questions.....how far is the airport from where she is living and is there transportation or service of a shuttle to and from one's home to the airport?

What are the taxes like in the uptown area? Any advise on where I might inform myself?

I wrote to the city and asked for a package however I was told that it was not a possibility. Asheville sent me one but Charlotte did not. Nevertheless I have never run into anyone who does not like Charlotte!

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am new to the Charlotte region and the UP forum and I just wanted to make a few comments and ask a couple of questions.

My wife and I moved here, like many others, from an older northern industrial city where we were used to the charm of older, developed, walkable neighborhoods. We were a bit saddened to find that Charlotte's only neighborhoods like this were vastly out of reach due to their high housing costs. Similarly, the "traditional neighborhoods" being developed seem to focus more on the affluent homebuyer rather than the first-time purchaser.

As a result we have settled in downtown Concord and are really enjoying it. I would encourage persons moving to Charlotte who are looking for an affordable, urban feel to consider historic Concord or some of the other established cities in the area. Within blocks of our house are the public library, a wine bar, a bistro, caffes, coffee shops, and more. Plus the city's plans for the area call for improvements such as street narrowing and more mixed use development. All this and more at a fraction of the rent for a similar environment in Charlotte. ...Granted we do work near here and don't commute to uptown.

That said, does anyone know whether or not entry level single-family housing will be a part of any of the newer developments closer to town? I love urban environments and would like to be in/around uptown more than a few times a month - but it has to be affordable. We are looking at buying a house soon and the prices in supposedly "up and coming" neigborhoods such as Willmore and NoDa are a bit much for what they buy. Concord may be where we stay, but sadly we aren't in the pecking order for a rapid transit link and it would be nice to be connected to uptown.

Thanks

(edited for spelling)

Sorry for the delay in my reply... I did not know you had replied....

The tree seemed healthy enough to me, but I know that these trees typically get huge. It may have been a young tree. They would also have to keep it trimmed back as well, because it was fairly close to that hotel.

I personally have two Southern Live Oaks growing here in my lawn in northeast Tennessee - we are mainly zone 6b, but we have a small 7a "microclimate" here in the metro area of NE TN, especially in the western part. I think this tree is really a "7b" zoned tree. My "Longleaf" pines are also flourishing, as are some of the other "Longleafs" around here, but there are not many. I remember seeing some growing in the wild on HWY 52, just southeast of Charlotte.

They (the Southern Live Oaks) endured our record low of 8

One strange thing, was when we were on HWY 52 (just SE of Charlotte), just south of where those "palm" photos were taken, I saw some trees in someones lawn draped with Spanish Moss. I was pretty surprised, as I did not think it survived that far north and it seems like you said that as well.... I am guessing that they bought some back from the coast and placed it in the trees there for the summer? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so repeating myself here since I somehow completely missed this thread...

I am in the position of taking a job in Mooresville here soon and would like some advice from CLT'ers on areas to live since I'd prefer to locate in the CLT area, not Mooresville, but given the commute I probably need to avoid anything east of uptown, and my own experience with CLT is primarily East/Northeast. Anyway, advice is appreciated, I'd love to go ahead and jump into an urban experience (and enjoy the reverse commute) but not sure that is a doable yet both in terms of availability and a budget under $200K, but am open to suggestions. Going down tomorrow morning and I am going to entertain myself by stopping to check out the Rosewood at Providence Plaza, though am guessing that is out of my league.

Thanks in advance.

Archived