Relocating to Charlotte?

monsoon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Problem is filtering out the amount of crap that is not regulated there, hard to know who you can trust and who is talking simply to see themselves talking.

EDIT - Hmmm, I just picked out a moving thread there at random and noticed a moderator edit of a post removing solicitation elements, so I guess they are regulating things...

Not sure where to ask this question really...

is there a name for the area South of Oaklawn and North of Brookshire Fwy and west of 77? (specifically a pocket of streets comprised of Washington, Madison, Patton...) Just curious. Anyone know anything about that area?

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the very best place to live outside of Charlotte, but within an easy commute range is Lincoln County. The schools are great; the taxes are low; you are very close to good shopping and food, as well as Lake Norman; and you can get a really nice house for tons less than you would pay in Charlotte.

Feel free to PM me about the example that was deleted, as obviously that is the largest concern of anyone relocating. :dontknow:;)

Hi there... I'm a first time poster, so I have to start out by saying how excited I am to have found this site. I've lived in Charlotte most my life and can't believe how much it's changed over the years. It's great to hear that so many others are as interested in Charlotte's development as I am, and I'm very impressed by the wealth of knowledge I have found here so far!

So, my question for this group has to do with the Lake Norman area, which I'm not as familiar with. My parents are looking at moving to that area, and would love to find some new construction single-family or townhome neighborhoods in a lower price range (<$300). They like the Jetton Cove townhomes in Cornelius, because of their walkability to Jetton Park, HT, etc. Plus they seem to have good potential to go up in value with all the development possibilities in that area (i.e., the potential new Birkdale/Exit 26, etc). I would love to give them some other ideas before they make a decision though. Does any one know of any other options in that area or even on the other side of the lake (Denver) or farther up north (Troutman)?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Not really relocating but attending a conference....AWWA to be exact. Just want so info on the neighborhood of the propsoed hotel my office is looking at....Hampton Inn at 530 E Martin Luther King Blvd......what is the area like? What is the walk from there to the convention center like? Coffee shops, breakfast places, pedestrian friendly...any low cost sites within a mile walk to check out.....used book stores, gift shops....etc etc.....thanks! A picture would be great if possbile.....sorry I don't have enough time to browse the considerable amount of material in this forum....Thanks in advance.

Not really relocating but attending a conference....AWWA to be exact. Just want so info on the neighborhood of the propsoed hotel my office is looking at....Hampton Inn at 530 E Martin Luther King Blvd......what is the area like? What is the walk from there to the convention center like? Coffee shops, breakfast places, pedestrian friendly...any low cost sites within a mile walk to check out.....used book stores, gift shops....etc etc.....thanks! A picture would be great if possbile.....sorry I don't have enough time to browse the considerable amount of material in this forum....Thanks in advance.

Latta Arcade at 320 S. Tryon Street and Brevard Court that is connected to it is an interesting place with shops and small restaurants. The Overstreet Mall (see signs on buildings for multiple entrances and the walkways overhead usually indicate that it's in that building) also has a bunch of places to shop.

• 4 months later...

I will be relocating to Charlotte from San Diego this July. I will be transferring with my job which will put me at Arrowood exit off the 77, north of 485 for work. My boyfriend is Vietnamese and we were thinking about looking in a highly-VIet populated area, would this be near the Asian Corners mall NE or downtown? What kind of a commute would that be for me? We'll be planning to rent an inexpensive studio or 1-bedroom apartment until we save money for a house. Any recommendations for cheap apartments? I've seen some very inexpensive 3-bedroom houses just outside downtown but I'm guessing that neighborhood isn't the best. We will be visiting the area at least once before the move, but wanted to get some feedback on here if I can. I'll have more questions later I'm sure.

Thanks!

I don't think the neighborhoods around the Asian Corners mall are Asian. It's kind of an anomaly in that regard. Your best bet would be to look out on Central Ave and on South Blvd. (has the advantage of the light rail line) We don't really do recommendations of specific apartment complexes here but if you have questions about certain parts of town we will be glad to answer.

I would definetly look along the Central Ave. (Cental and Briar Creek-Eastway-Kilborn) corridor as opposed near the Asian Mall. The area is a bit more interesting in my opinion, and has a several large pockets of Vietmanese. It is also a safer area, currently, plus it would be slightly closer to your job, though neither are particularly near to Arrowood.

Without getting into specific real estate questions, prices are significantly less than in San Diego, and a nice 2BR/1b in the Central Ave/Eastway area should sell for less than $150k. There are plenty of apartment communities of verying degrees of quality/rent in this area.

I see South Blvd is closer to my job, is that a nice area? I've found many reasonable appartments in and around the 28217 area but they all seem to have very bad reviews, are there any areas that have reasonably priced housing in safe areas? Thanks again for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Where specifically is the center of activity in Plaza/Midwood neighborhood? It looks like "The Plaza" is the longest road in CLT from the Google map I've been scanning. I just visited some friends who now live in Mooresville, Concord, and University Area and I enjoyed the experience very much (the people are so nice) but I'm not much for living in cookie-cutter suburbia.

The lack of light rail accessibility is a drawback, but I'm a fan of older architecturally significant homes and the in-town historic neighborhoods. There was a mention about crime being a problem here, has this increased (foreclosure crisis etc.) or stabilized since 2006 when this thread was started? Also, I have a vehicle and I plan to drive around, but I would like to be able to walk to coffee shops, bars, etc. Is there anything like this in the area south or west of city center?

I'm planning a move within the next 12-18 months, and Charlotte is on my short list. Thanks!

-D

Where specifically is the center of activity in Plaza/Midwood neighborhood? It looks like "The Plaza" is the longest road in CLT from the Google map I've been scanning. I just visited some friends who now live in Mooresville, Concord, and University Area and I enjoyed the experience very much (the people are so nice) but I'm not much for living in cookie-cutter suburbia.

The lack of light rail accessibility is a drawback, but I'm a fan of older architecturally significant homes and the in-town historic neighborhoods. There was a mention about crime being a problem here, has this increased (foreclosure crisis etc.) or stabilized since 2006 when this thread was started? Also, I have a vehicle and I plan to drive around, but I would like to be able to walk to coffee shops, bars, etc. Is there anything like this in the area south or west of city center?

I'm planning a move within the next 12-18 months, and Charlotte is on my short list. Thanks!

-D

Technically "The Plaza" is really only the portion between Central and Parkwood and also the area with the most architecturally significant housing. (also the most expensive) and is where the original streetcar neighborhood was built.

Having recently decided between Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth and Noda (and ending up in Noda) - and also being a transplant from the Providence area (well, Attleboro, MA), I can give my opinion too:

Plaza Midwood is slightly more established than Noda and thus more expensive all in all. Commonwealth is a good alternative to P-M, but there isn't as much stock to find a house (maybe look into investing in Morningside once it's built). Ultimately, I settled on Noda because we are next in line to get Lynx (opinion), and we have mostly the same amenities as P-M with the exception of an in-neighborhood grocery store. I am very happy with Noda because 90% of our neighbors are early 30's married couples - just like me. I feel you can still find a deal in Noda, where as P-M is much harder. Just be prepared to work a little for it.

In regards to the neighborhoods of Providence, and the density of Northern cities, I will admit that P-M, Noda, and Commonwealth are very similar though. You will get a bungalow house with a small yard and more breathing room than you would in RI. You need to really spend some time in the hoods to see the differences.

You can send me a PM is you want more info.

• 2 weeks later...

How bout this. Me and my wife are moving to charlotte within the next month and I'm looking for apartments ranging between 700 and 800 a month not including utilities. Doesn't have to be scenic or trendy. Just a place. Anyone know of anything? Again. It doesn't have to be hip. Heck, it doesn't even have to be in the city but atleast a suburb.

Archived