Relocating to Charlotte?

monsoon

The differences in home values between Barclay Downs and Fairmeadows/Beverly Woods does not lie in the school districts b/c except for part of Beverly Woods, they are the same. The difference is likely because it is a bit further from downtown (although still just across the street from Barclay Downs). As Southpark continues to grow into its own business district, the distance from downtown will be less of a factor as more people working in the Southpark area will want to live there.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can find the school district lines on CMS's website. They don't get so detailed as to zoom in and name individual streets. But you can see them inside the boundaries... it's not hard to figure out what streets are in which district, using some side-by-side map comparisons.

I'd be careful weighing using school district lines too much, in a home buying decision. They do get adjusted (much to some parents' frustration.)

Peter Gorman, the new Supt of CMS will be on "Charlotte Talks" with Mike Collins for the full hour tomorrow at 9am. Taking calls and emails on 90.7 WFAE FM, our NPR affiliate. It should be an interesting show for new and old residents alike who are interested in the school system

I've been in Charlotte for a couple of months but I figured my question could help brand new people as well. I live in a house in a sprawly subdivision in Southpark. I've been commuting to Matthews but I'm starting a job in in uptown on Monday. I'm thinking of taking the bus to work, but there are no stops anywhere close to my house so I would need a park and ride station. I can find the park and ride on the CATS map, but can anybody tell me roughly how long it usually takes to get to uptown from Southpark via bus? I called the folks at CATS and they're very non-committal about telling you how long a bus ride typically takes.

I've been in Charlotte for a couple of months but I figured my question could help brand new people as well. I live in a house in a sprawly subdivision in Southpark. I've been commuting to Matthews but I'm starting a job in in uptown on Monday. I'm thinking of taking the bus to work, but there are no stops anywhere close to my house so I would need a park and ride station. I can find the park and ride on the CATS map, but can anybody tell me roughly how long it usually takes to get to uptown from Southpark via bus? I called the folks at CATS and they're very non-committal about telling you how long a bus ride typically takes.

hmm... not sure. i used to transfer uptown to go to montford dr./park rd. i can't remember how long that took, but i would say around 20 min. the best thing to do is go to the CATS website - find the bus # that interest you - and download the schedule. it will show you pick-up and arrival times. from my experience the bus has always run a pretty tight schedule.

* BTW in another thread a week or so ago, i mentioned that i would be riding the bus for the first time in a number of years. the experience was great... super friendly drivers, passengers, and the first bus i rode befor the transfer was a newer bus than the second one or from previous bus rides. it was very nice and spacious, cool cabin temp, and the back seats were alittle higher up than the ones up front.

hmm... not sure. i used to transfer uptown to go to montford dr./park rd. i can't remember how long that took, but i would say around 20 min. the best thing to do is go to the CATS website - find the bus # that interest you - and download the schedule. it will show you pick-up and arrival times. from my experience the bus has always run a pretty tight schedule.

* BTW in another thread a week or so ago, i mentioned that i would be riding the bus for the first time in a number of years. the experience was great... super friendly drivers, passengers, and the first bus i rode befor the transfer was a newer bus than the second one or from previous bus rides. it was very nice and spacious, cool cabin temp, and the back seats were alittle higher up than the ones up front.

I tried to ride the Carmel Express bus this morning. The driver drove right by the bench where I was sitting. That was pretty frustrating. I was sitting at one of the covered stops at a park and ride stop near the Carmel and Sharon View intersection. I'm guessing the driver probably didn't see me sitting there and just kept going... or maybe I was at the wrong stop. I sent a message to Cats asking what I did wrong so hopefully someone from there will get back to me.

I experienced that once, the next driver told me to step away from the bench when a bus comes. I guess it's not unusual for pedestrians to just take a rest at a bus top bench, and the drivers don't know if there really is a passenger there.

The South Park to downtown bus routes are very nearly a joke - technically there are two bus lines that are supposed to run every half hour (the 19/20 routes), but in reality you get maybe one bus per hour, and never at a consistent time. I had to use these lines when taking apart my old car for a week, and it added at least a half hour each way to the commute (which normally would have been 20 minutes each way).

On the other hand, for that reason among others (South Park demographics) there were maybe 2 other people on the bus - lots of leg/magazine reading room.

Regarding the 60-70's era South Park neighborhoods in general - they're nice, but with prices to match. Nearly identical homes exist between Park and South Blvds for way less money, and if you're strategic, a decent walk or short bike ride to the light rail - that's the way I went when buying a place recently.

The South Park to downtown bus routes are very nearly a joke - technically there are two bus lines that are supposed to run every half hour (the 19/20 routes), but in reality you get maybe one bus per hour, and never at a consistent time. I had to use these lines when taking apart my old car for a week, and it added at least a half hour each way to the commute (which normally would have been 20 minutes each way).

On the other hand, for that reason among others (South Park demographics) there were maybe 2 other people on the bus - lots of leg/magazine reading room.

Regarding the 60-70's era South Park neighborhoods in general - they're nice, but with prices to match. Nearly identical homes exist between Park and South Blvds for way less money, and if you're strategic, a decent walk or short bike ride to the light rail - that's the way I went when buying a place recently.

Nmcheese, I agree there are comparable homes between South Blvd and Park road. However, the schools are better in beverly woods and fairmeadows. Also, the prices are really not that much different, except for Beverly Woods East. Regardless of where you choose, the area looks like it should appreciate well in the near future. I'm still trying to figure out why people would pay more than $300 a square foot for condos when homes in a mile radius are selling for about $150 a square foot.

I'm still trying to figure out why people would pay more than $300 a square foot for condos when homes in a mile radius are selling for about $150 a square foot.
Perhaps because 1 mile easily makes the difference between walking distance and driving distance. Condos are also more 'hip', and they frequently come with access to amenities that not always available in your average home - fitness centers, swimming pools, etc.

Perhaps because 1 mile easily makes the difference between walking distance and driving distance. Condos are also more 'hip', and they frequently come with access to amenities that not always available in your average home - fitness centers, swimming pools, etc.

For example, Bradbury Hall is basically within Beverly Woods. Houses in Beverly woods right across the street are around $150 a square foot, the condos in Bradbury are in the $250+ range (they are very nice). I agree the amenities are often nice in these condos, but you pay a condo fee for this. Also your privacy is more limited (no backyard!). I do agree that right now condos are "hip." There are at least 5 new projects in Southpark alone.

You can't deduct private school expense, but you can deduct property tax and interest... I'm not sure the math really works out, (private tuition is what.. around $5k a year?) but there is at least some logic why the neighborhoods east of Park road in the Meyer's Park High school district sell for significantly more.

You can't deduct private school expense, but you can deduct property tax and interest... I'm not sure the math really works out, (private tuition is what.. around $5k a year?) but there is at least some logic why the neighborhoods east of Park road in the Meyer's Park High school district sell for significantly more.

private schooll tuition varies drastically. the upper tier schools (CD and latin) fetch around 13-15k. yikes is right

• 4 weeks later...

I may be moving to the Charlotte area from Columbia, SC in the next several months. I have been considering the Fort Mill area on the west side of I-77. Even a little north of that would be okay, but I don't really want to be inside the 485 loop. I will be commuting back to Columbia 1 or 2 days per week for work. Do any of you have suggestions for good neighborhoods (apartments or homes)? Any bad neigborhoods in that area to avoid? Please advise.

Given your desire to stay outside of I-485, there really are not any bad neighborhoods in that area. The biggest consideration you have is whether to live in Mecklenburg, NC or York SC. Taxes are significantly higher in Meck and the school system basically stinks compared to that in York so I would recommend staying in York. Keep in mind that if you have to commute into Charlotte, I-77 headed into the city is woefully inadequate for the traffic on that road, and the NCDOT doesn't have a widening project anywhere in near terms plans. Next year there will be a light rail line running from 485 and South Blvd to downtown with a large Park & Ride lot which could be an option.

Given your desire to stay outside of I-485, there really are not any bad neighborhoods in that area. The biggest consideration you have is whether to live in Mecklenburg, NC or York SC. Taxes are significantly higher in Meck and the school system basically stinks compared to that in York so I would recommend staying in York. Keep in mind that if you have to commute into Charlotte, I-77 headed into the city is woefully inadequate for the traffic on that road, and the NCDOT doesn't have a widening project anywhere in near terms plans. Next year there will be a light rail line running from 485 and South Blvd to downtown with a large Park & Ride lot which could be an option.

What are the taxes in the Uptown Area?

I may be moving to the Charlotte area from Columbia, SC in the next several months. I have been considering the Fort Mill area on the west side of I-77. Even a little north of that would be okay, but I don't really want to be inside the 485 loop. I will be commuting back to Columbia 1 or 2 days per week for work. Do any of you have suggestions for good neighborhoods (apartments or homes)? Any bad neigborhoods in that area to avoid? Please advise.

Being that you still have to head to Columbia a few times a week, you may also wish to consider Rock Hill. There are some decent housing options with quick interstate access.

Do a search on Mecklenburg County Tax Collector.

Search where? That search is rejected on UP for a word under 4 chars.

Web search on that finds the tax office and tax.charmeck.org sites, but no info on a special uptown tax rate. All I can find on their sites is the straight calculation based on assessed value for Meck and each town.

Is there something additional assessed on the property inside 277?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think all the routes are a joke. I can't speak for the 19/20, however I riden the 18 regularly for 4 years an it's always on time, clean and never too crowded. The bus runs every 30 minutes during peak hours from South Park through Barclay Downs, Meyer's Park and part of Dilworth.

Search where? That search is rejected on UP for a word under 4 chars.

Web search on that finds the tax office and tax.charmeck.org sites, but no info on a special uptown tax rate. All I can find on their sites is the straight calculation based on assessed value for Meck and each town.

Is there something additional assessed on the property inside 277?

Yes there is. On the back of my ridiculously high property tax bill that I just received, it says there are additional taxes to be paid if you live downtown, at University City, Davidson and a few other places. There is apparently something called a Law Enforcement district as well (have no idea what or where that is). The tax bill did not give the rates, but it would be in addition to the county and city taxes you pay.

I don't think all the routes are a joke. I can't speak for the 19/20, however I riden the 18 regularly for 4 years an it's always on time, clean and never too crowded. The bus runs every 30 minutes during peak hours from South Park through Barclay Downs, Meyer's Park and part of Dilworth.

I seem to have gotten everything figured out; I've been riding the 45X from the Park and Ride stop near the Sharon View/Carmel intersection. This bus only runs during rush hour, but that's the only time I need to ride it so it works out fine for me. I've been enjoying the extra reading time instead of fighting traffic.

Archived