spaceport in oklahoma

fromdust

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing they've done enough behind-the-scenes work to ensure they can start flights by 2008? That sure seems awfully fast for something the FAA just approved.

Either way, I think it's awesome that we're about to cross into the next area in the evolution of flight and of man. I think, though, even if I did have the kind of money it would cost to take such a flight, I'd probably still wait a few years... 10-20 or so... until they've gotten all the major kinks worked out. I'd hate to end Lost in Space! ;)

.... wait for the kinks to get worked out? nasa hasnt even done that yet.

And that's why I'm concerned about this program. Naturally there will ne more kinks in the first decade or two of such a new program. I'm sure there will always be some type of kinks, but the big stuff should be out of the way after a while. Thankfully I don't have to worry about being one of the people on the first few flights who experience those problems firsthand.

They've been working on the project for a very long time before the FAA approved it. Several companies around the globe are competing to be the first for commercial space flights, and the odds are very good for the OKC-based Rocketplane. The flights aren't like "go to the moon"... The way I understand it, the plane goes up to the upper levels of the atmosphere, far enough for zero gravity, fly around a bit, and land back on the ground.

The best concept that we can get out of Rocketplane is the reusable, easy to launch space vessel- it takes off like an airplane, from an extra long runway, instead of something really difficult like a NASA Shuttle, which has to be vertical before it can launch.

Archived