Cameras

TBurban

Hey all, Im willing to spend up to $400 on a new camera. Ive got a 2 year old Sony Cybershot and well, its seen better days. Here are some of my requirements:

Id like to stay digital :D

Good night shots and able to be hooked to a tripod

Zoom and interchangeable lenses

Im not too wise when it comes to purchasing electronics, Id need all the help and opinions I could get. Thanks y'all :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna let your muse out huh . . . :)

ALl I can say is get the MegaPixels, the storage (or memory card slot type) and battery/charger power you need. Lots of different combos that you can get with all those-- then comes the fun part looking at the price of each combo.

Aww, too bad you're staying digital. I'm a film guy myself and there's some awesome cameras out there for not much bank. I have an old '84 Nikon N2000 that my parents bought new, and it takes some of the best photos I've ever seen. It's been all over Europe and America and still works beautifully more than 20 years later.

Aww, too bad you're staying digital. I'm a film guy myself and there's some awesome cameras out there for not much bank. I have an old '84 Nikon N2000 that my parents bought new, and it takes some of the best photos I've ever seen. It's been all over Europe and America and still works beautifully more than 20 years later.

I love the ability to see the pictures when I take them, so if Im not too crazy about em', I could delete them on the spot. I sometimes dont get the shot I want on the first try. Id go through rolls and rolls of film :lol: ....Ill look into it though, thanks :)

I'll follow closely since my two year old camera is just about worn out and outdated. I don't think I'll have money for it any time soon, just like computer money. My friend from Salt Lake City bought a really good camera... spent like $1000... but he gets some nice shots. While I don't want to spend (or could spend) that much, I want something better... I'd like better night pictures as well and the ability to not miss action... my camera is sllloooooooooooowwwwwwww. Plus, I don't want too expensive because, hey... you never know who'll desire that same camera for much less around town. I also don't want something too bulky and noticeable as not to direct attention to myself and be able to whip it out, snap, and go on my merry way.

Tommy, you owe me for my birthday anyway.

I love the ability to see the pictures when I take them, so if Im not too crazy about em', I could delete them on the spot. I sometimes dont get the shot I want on the first try. Id go through rolls and rolls of film :lol: ....Ill look into it though, thanks :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Digital ones have their place I suppose. I'm just kind of a non-technology guy. I'll probably be using 35mm till the day I die, and my turntable still gets more use than my CD player. For that matter, I think I have more LP's than CD's. And I'm still looking for a good typewriter and an 8mm movie camera - all of which I'll use. Hell, even my bicycle's a '56 Schwinn, and my second car was a '68 Mustang! Just sold it a year ago. Should never have done that.

I just recently bought a Panasonic DMC-TZ1. I LOVE this camera. It is one of the only "compact" ultra-zoom cameras on the market and it takes a great picture. The other bonus is it can take video at a resolution of 640x480 which is decent for shooting basic video. You can als use the optical zoom while shooting video which only a couple of digital cameras allow you to do. And the price is only about $350. There is a full review of this camera HERE. This website is also great for learning about cameras and their features.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Best Buy this evening to look at cameras. Instead of buying a new camera, I decided to wait until I could buy exactly what I want. I went ahead and upgraded to a 1 gigabyte memory stick for my current Sony Cybershot, but didn't get a camera this time.

I've shown my wife what I want now, though, so maybe I can expect a Canon DSLR and a tripod for Christmas. :D Her new boss will likely give her 5-10X the bonus her old boss gave her, so my chances are looking good.

I have a cybershot and I dont like it, so dont get another one of those. I think the shutter speed is too slow, because even if the camera is sitting on a table, the picture comes out a little blurry. Argh! Do you have that problem too, SBCMetro?

I have a cybershot and I dont like it, so dont get another one of those. I think the shutter speed is too slow, because even if the camera is sitting on a table, the picture comes out a little blurry. Argh! Do you have that problem too, SBCMetro?

Actually yes, to an extent. I can very rarely get a really clear photo, although I do squeeze one out every now and then.

I'm definitely leaning toward Canon in the future.

I'm definitely leaning toward Canon in the future.

Definately the way to go. I'm very happy with my Powershot S2 IS, and I'm looking to get a Digital Rebel XT in the near future.

I've always had good experiences with Nikon's too, and I don't think buying a Nikon would be a bad decision, but I'm sold with Canon.

Archived