The race for Governor

krazeeboi

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Willis of Florence ran and lost the Democratic nomination this year, but the Dem. Governor primary was so low key, I'm not surprised that no one noticed.

Governor's rarely come from Lt. Governors. Most come from the legislature. Here are the prior government backgrounds of SC's most recent governors:

Sanford: 3 terms, US Congress, 1st District, Charleston

Hodges: State rep. from Lancaster County

Beasley: State rep. from Society Hill

Campbell: 4 terms, US Congress, 4th District, Greenville

Riley: State Senator, Greenville County

Frank Willis of Florence ran and lost the Democratic nomination this year, but the Dem. Governor primary was so low key, I'm not surprised that no one noticed.

Governor's rarely come from Lt. Governors. Most come from the legislature. Here are the prior government backgrounds of SC's most recent governors:

Sanford: 3 terms, US Congress, 1st District, Charleston

Hodges: State rep. from Lancaster County

Beasley: State rep. from Society Hill

Campbell: 4 terms, US Congress, 4th District, Greenville

Riley: State Senator, Greenville County

DUH !!! How could I forget about Frank Willis? I mean Florence is my hometown, after all. Thanks for pointing that out whitehourseview!

BTW, Campbell served in the State Senate (and also the House, I think) as well as Congress so he fits the 'norm' as well, of legislators becoming Governor. James Edwards, who preceeded Dick Riley, was also a state senator prior to his election as Governor.

The last Lt. Governor to become Governor was John West in 1970, if I am not mistaken.

I meant aside from Willis; I remembered him.

Amen to that, Vic; voters in South Carolina are so disenfranchised that relatively few vote. I've seen many a maverick get elected only to become disenchanted with the entire good old boy system run by both parties. Our state has so much potential that is being wasted. It makes me sick.

Here is a great glimmer of hope. Two long-time state representatives were defeated by young guns that really seem to have passion and conviction. One, Bakari Sellers, hails from my native district, the Orangeburg-Bamberg area, and it really excites me to see this. Sellers will become the youngest member of the General Assembly and one of the youngest ever to serve. The USC law school student and Morehouse graduate knocked off the House

I still want to know how South Carolinians are disenfranchised.

Now if we could only get McConnell out of the picture, I think we might start seeing some REAL progress.

I wholeheartedly agree. There are a couple of others, but he is the worst. He makes me want to implement term limits.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen or heard a Moore ad yet? I don't see that much TV and even less network TV, but I have not seen a single one. I saw two Moore bumper stickers, which were the 2nd and third ones I have seen alll year.

It is hard to believe the election is less than a month away.

Has anyone seen or heard a Moore ad yet? I don't see that much TV and even less network TV, but I have not seen a single one. I saw two Moore bumper stickers, which were the 2nd and third ones I have seen alll year.

It is hard to believe the election is less than a month away.

Moore doesn't have the money to run those sort of ads a month from the election. You might see an ad campaign on TV in selected markets in the days before the election, but he can't afford to start it now.

Moore doesn't have the money to run those sort of ads a month from the election. You might see an ad campaign on TV in selected markets in the days before the election, but he can't afford to start it now.

Moore is on the air now. I caught the last few seconds of one last night less than 10 minutes after my post.

Hopefully, the visibility of this race will rise.

Moore is taking the typical Democratic answer to education- throw more money at it. Granted I have not researched his platform in depth, but it sounds pretty run of the mill to me, at least on the surface. At this point we are showing some signs of improvement in education. But if you think the system is so broken, do you really think that throwing more money will help? It hasn't worked yet. And on top of that, nobody in this state wants to support a tax increase to pay for it. I am of the mindset that if we are to make a change, we should try something new. If that doesn't work then we can always try something else. Apparantly we can't do worse... at least, thats what they would have you believe.

I am of the mindset that if we are to make a change, we should try something new. If that doesn't work then we can always try something else.

I most certainly agree. I would argue that's why we've been stuck in the same rut as a state in several aspects since Reconstruction.

I most certainly agree. I would argue that's why we've been stuck in the same rut as a state in several aspects since Reconstruction.

Exactly, which is why I think Sanford is the least friendly to the Tillman constitution that we have ever had.

Moore is less of a Democrat and more of a good ol' boy long time legistlator. And the race is less of a Republican vs. a Democrat and more of a anti good ol boy vs. a good ol boy.

In this case voting for change would mean voting for the incumbent and the status quo voting for the challenger.

I am open to voting for Moore, but he has plenty of convincing to do before I would do that. I do not think Sanford will be significantly more successful in his second term, than his first. The Legislature will simply wait him out. Sanford will be gone in four years regardless, they will still be there.

If the Republicans pick up the Treasurer's office, and keep the Comptroller General's office, Sanford would definitely have sway over the Budget and Control Board. And that would be significant. However, the real reform he seeks must come from the legislature, not the B&C Board.

^ I'm not sure between the candidates. Sanford hasn't really done that bad of a job. All I know is, Sanford must have some pretty deep pockets backing him. Every other commercial on the Augusta t.v. stations is an advertisement for him (very few of Moore). Come to think of it, it actually sucks living in a border town because people get confused at the polls trying to figure out why the guy they keep seeing on t.v. isn't on their ballot!!!! :)

Archived