This year's hurricane season

krazeeboi

We've already had our first taste of this year's hurricane season with Alberto, which gave us a lot of rain and even caused some flooding, particularly in eastern NC. This year's season is also predicted to be pretty active. How do you guys feel about it? Which region(s) of the South may be particularly vulnerable this year?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've already had our first taste of this year's hurricane season with Alberto, which gave us a lot of rain and even caused some flooding, particularly in eastern NC. This year's season is also predicted to be pretty active. How do you guys feel about it? Which region(s) of the South may be particularly vulnerable this year?

I stopped watching a couple days ago. When did Alberto hit NC... today?

Yea, Crabtree Mall in Raleigh had a minor flood from the rain. I sleep till about 1 today and the rain was letting up here. It's been sunny all day and cool, you really couldn't tell there was a tropical storm passing threw the state. I know some parts of the Hampton Roads recived about 9 inches of rain.

We got 4 inches here in Columbia also. Some areas were underwater damaging several vehicles.

I think it's going to be another busy season. It's up in the air where these storms will hit, but definitely Florida, a few times. The Louisiana-Mississippi coast needs to be spared this year. I'm a bit worried about the Carolina Coast getting hit.

The hype we've been getting about hurricanes, they'd probably start coming from Canada!

I think we're all in trouble. Anything that hits NC usually gets us too. I hated Fran and Isabel and they were like little kids compared to Katrina and Rita... and grandma Wilma. I remember when Isabel was a category 5 off the coast... I was ready to run to Chicago... literally! That may be the plan if one menaces our part of the coast with no signs of weakening... but the current off the coast is typically cooler water... so maybe we won't get a monster up here. New England is way overdue though.

I was just looking at wikipedia about the last 10 years of hurricane hits. The outer banks took a beating from 96 to 2003. Its funny because I remember all of them up close and personal. Bertha, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Isabel and I even remember Felix. It was massive in terms of size and was predicted to make land fall around Cape Lookout. But he stalled a little, wobbled a few miles and ended up lurking back out to sea.

I thought those storms were bad but the typhoons I experienced in Japan make all of the above look like thundersotrms. Imagine living through Katrinas every summer. The last one I went through had max winds at 135 with gust to 155. I was out of work for a week....no complaints there...the houses are built to withstand that type of stuff. 6 inch thick cement reinforced walls are common. I must admit it was fun because our duplex block would have typhoon parties. Honestly we would fire up the gas grill in makeshift wind shelters outside in 135 winds. Needless to say it was a drunkfest. Hey what else do you have to do when the power is out. Any of you guys have been to or hosted a hurricane party.

My gut says North and South Carolina in the South and Connecticut and Rhode Island in the North may see the most hits this year.

Yeah - unscientific intuition tells me the east coast is overdue for something. Maybe we'll get lucky.

As stats go, of the 15 most destructive Atlantic hurricanes ($5 billion or greater in damage, adjusted for inflation), 2 primarily impacted the Northeast: Agnes in PA in 1972 (landfalls north of Tampa, near Myrtle Beach, and then up the Delaware Bay into PA), and the legendary 1938 hurricane in New England, whcih sent a storm surge up Narragansett Bay.

Hurricane Donna in 1960 (another billion dollar storm) holds the record as the lone hurricane thus far recorded to sustain hurricane-force winds at some location (with resultant damage) in every state on the US Atlantic coast, plus one Canadian province.

I think this year may be bad indeed. That said, I don't like too see tropical storms over-blown like Alberto was. It was nothing more than a rain generator- and we desparately needed the rain. But if you watched the news at all you'd think that this was the next Katrina. Perhaps the media are still stirred up from the wild season last year.

I was just looking at wikipedia about the last 10 years of hurricane hits. The outer banks took a beating from 96 to 2003. Its funny because I remember all of them up close and personal. Bertha, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Isabel and I even remember Felix. It was massive in terms of size and was predicted to make land fall around Cape Lookout. But he stalled a little, wobbled a few miles and ended up lurking back out to sea.

I thought those storms were bad but the typhoons I experienced in Japan make all of the above look like thundersotrms. Imagine living through Katrinas every summer. The last one I went through had max winds at 135 with gust to 155. I was out of work for a week....no complaints there...the houses are built to withstand that type of stuff. 6 inch thick cement reinforced walls are common. I must admit it was fun because our duplex block would have typhoon parties. Honestly we would fire up the gas grill in makeshift wind shelters outside in 135 winds. Needless to say it was a drunkfest. Hey what else do you have to do when the power is out. Any of you guys have been to or hosted a hurricane party.

In 2004 we got rain from just about all of the storms that came up the coast. Ivan spawned too many tornadoes... every daggone 5 minutes there were new warnings.

I heard about those Pacific storms from someone who served out there. He basically said the same thing you did.

Last week when Alberto's center (there really was no eye) can ashore near here, Tallahassee, it brought w/him rain and wind. It also brought the bird flu, terrorist attacks and a wave of sexual predators or what I call the Big 4 of the Paranoids. I fear there will be now be weekly hurricanes that will pass this area and bring more of these Big 4. If you need me, you'll find me in the basement watching two TV's, one on Fox News so I'll know the terrorist level of alert and the Jim Cantore Channel aka The Weather Channel and oh yeah I'll be the one wearing a gas mask and a chastity belt.. :D

Last week when Alberto's center (there really was no eye) can ashore near here, Tallahassee, it brought w/him rain and wind. It also brought the bird flu, terrorist attacks and a wave of sexual predators or what I call the Big 4 of the Paranoids. I fear there will be now be weekly hurricanes that will pass this area and bring more of these Big 4. If you need me, you'll find me in the basement watching two TV's, one on Fox News so I'll know the terrorist level of alert and the Jim Cantore Channel aka The Weather Channel and oh yeah I'll be the one wearing a gas mask and a chastity belt.. :D

haha :lol:

Jim Cantore is one very orange looking guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived