Grand Haven State Park

dtown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im going camping next week, and i want to go to Grand Haven. Does anyone know what the camp site look like, any pics would be appreciated.

It's pretty much camping on the beach (seriously) with a lot of parking lot around it. About as "un-nature" as you get. But the Grand Haven downtown and the boardwalk within walking distance make up for it. Or take bikes if you have them, and ride Lakeshore Drive all the way South to Holland. Beautiful scenery with a bike path along the highway the whole ride. Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon is way better for camping in my opinion.

are the camp site cement?

I think they are asphalt, but it's been years since I've camped there. I've been to the beach recently, but didn't pay attention to the campground area. You may want to give Hoffmaster a try, or maybe Holland State Park, if you haven't reserved anything yet. The State Parks are usually booked solid on weekends through the Summer, so call ahead.

Let us know if you need any other info, or shoot me a PM.

If you're bringing a camper, then it would be an asphalt spot. However, if you're tent camping, you'll be in "tent row", which are small sand camping lots. Beware...if it's windy, put some weight in your tent, those darn tent stakes come right out of the sand when the wind starts blowing...then you have to chase your tent.

I thought I had head the GH was booked up for the summer months ago.

Most of the ones along Lake Michigan are booked for Summer weekends way out in advance (I think by January). Maybe dtown's buddy has a reservation already. You can go on Friday or Saturday to the parks and there's usually a couple of cancellations, but it's risky.

Most of the ones along Lake Michigan are booked for Summer weekends way out in advance (I think by January). Maybe dtown's buddy has a reservation already. You can go on Friday or Saturday to the parks and there's usually a couple of cancellations, but it's risky.

i looked on the state park website, and there are a few open, were going during the week.

thanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it :)

i looked on the state park website, and there are a few open, were going during the week.

thanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it :)

Have a great time dtown! Take lots of pics and post em if you get a chance, especially of downtown GR and downtown GH. It's always good to see other's impressions and perspectives. :thumbsup:

Archived