good restaurants for lunch

dtown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four Friends on Monroe Mall has really good sandwiches. Get a "half" sandwich for $3.45, its enough to fill you up.

XO Asian Cuisine on Monroe Mall has a lunch menu, mostly priced around $6-7. They have a very good General Tso's Chicken.

The Dog Pit on Monroe Mall, $2 dogs, cash only

RiverBank Books, on Monroe Mall in the Blue Cross Building, has a cafe with grilled sandwiches (panini's and quesadillas), $7.

Jimmy Johns on Monroe Mall, same prices and menu as every other JJ's.

Ritz Koney on Ionia. Hot Dogs $2-2.50, Burgers $4.50, Sandwiches $4-6, Fries and Soda +$2

There are many others (Subway, Olive Express, Blakes Turkey Sandwich Shoppe, Two Choppers, the Bite, McFadden's), but those are the ones that I frequent on a weekly basis. Park in the Monroe Center lot at Ionia and Louis, its one hour free.

Enjoy!

dtown, you should just park somewhere near Monroe Ave and Monroe Mall, and just walk around. You'll find a plethora of great downtown lunch joints within a block in each direction.

You would still get off at the Ottawa Ave exit, like in grandrollerz post, but turn right when you get to Pearl and you'll see a ramp on your right by Flanagan's, or there's metered parking all over.

GR - Monroe/Monroe

im probobly going to Grand Haven next week and im probobbly going to stop in GR for lunch. Could you tell me of any moderatly priced restaurants where i could get a decent lunch downtown?

thanks a lot :)

Olive Express.

[last night one of the Freewheeler classic bike guys asked if I'd ever heard of it. Um, yeah... no affiliation, just personal appreciation for Sam and his great food!]

We've been giving personal recommendations as long as I've been here. How could that be wrong?

And I recommend Bull's Head or O'Tooles on Bridge St.

Remember the brew-ha-ha when someone asked for a recommendation for a dance class? That site got shut down . . . . . I don't think it is wrong . . just curious as to where the line in the sand is drawn . . .tha'ts all . . .

XO Asian Cuisine on Monroe Mall has a lunch menu, mostly priced around $6-7. They have a very good General Tso's Chicken.

Yes, the Chinese dish for people who don't like Chinese food. I don't mean to insult you or anything, I just think it's funny that someone would recommend an asian restaurant and then specifically recommend probably the least asian thing on the menu. :)

-nb

Yes, the Chinese dish for people who don't like Chinese food. I don't mean to insult you or anything, I just think it's funny that someone would recommend an asian restaurant and then specifically recommend probably the least asian thing on the menu. :)

-nb

:D if liking the general tso's is wrong i don't want to be right...snob. just kidding although the general is my favorite chinese dish.

-nb

lol, don't worry man, no offense taken, but I still recommend XO's General

Almost all chinese dishes served at chinese resturaunts nowadays are americanised. I remember watching a history channel special about chinese food, and how chinese food in the us is quite different than chinese food in China. One dish.. I'm not completely sure which one... I think it was either Chop Suey or Chow Mein (maybe Lo Mein?) was completely invented in the US. At a busy resturaunt, the cooks had run out of almost everything, enough to be unable to create any of their menu-item dishes. So, one customer just asked for whatever they had left thrown onto a plate, and it became one of the most popular chinese (american) dishes and is served by almost every single chinese resturaunt today. The actual name of the dish itself means something along the lines of "food scraps".

I also remember watching that originally eggrolls in China are very small, edible in one bite. They were a finger food. When brought to the US, by their popularity and customer demand, they were eventually made much bigger than they originally were.

I think I also remember seeing that fortune cookies are originally supposed to be eaten before the meal, not after.

Of course they are Americanized. You think they use Tiparos fish sauce in some wee little village in China? :D They get the real, fermeted fish for that. :sick: Mexican food is the same way, I think. Lots of "mexican" dishes were invented by Americans.

With chinese food, my experience has been if it smells like three-day old wet garbage, then it probably will taste fantastic.

Of course they are Americanized. You think they use Tiparos fish sauce in some wee little village in China? :D They get the real, fermeted fish for that. :sick: Mexican food is the same way, I think. Lots of "mexican" dishes were invented by Americans.

With chinese food, my experience has been if it smells like three-day old wet garbage, then it probably will taste fantastic.

In all honesty, there are only a few "Mexican" restaurants in the Grand Rapids area. The others are Mexican-American. I only know of one Chinese restaurant in Grand Rapids...Wei Wei palace...Cantonese to be precise.

Torgo--Where is Tacos El Ganadero? I have heard of it but can never find it when I go looking.

Bridge Street, correct?

Yes, the SE corner of Bridge Street and Lane Ave. Its now called "Ganadero Mexican Grill" or something (they got a liquor license), but its pretty much the same as it always was, except you get real plates now instead of styrofoam. :lol:

There is also one on Burton but I've never been to that one.

Archived