good restaurants for lunch

dtown

I gotta weigh in on this one, having my B.A. in Linguistics...

#1 the gender-neutral "they" or "them" as singular was one subject of my thesis, the conclusion being that

#2 natural grammar, i.e. the way that people actually speak, changing over time, tends to evolve much faster than the prescriptive grammarian would like. Hence the formation of institutions such as Academie Francaise, Mandarin Promotion Council, or Real Academia Espanola, for example, which "govern" their respective languages. The big question to me was if each institution's language would have evolved even faster had that academy not been in place, i.e. do the academies actually have any effect?

Also, my research found that "they" or "them" as a gender-neutral term has become more widely used and accepted than "he/she" or its equivalent, perhaps because of ease of use, or (cough) pellucidity. :whistling:

One more point... I think that "poor grammar" in the form of misspellings, misused words, etc. might be a bit more of a problem on the listener's end... what I mean is that I could say "I would of gone too a bar with my frends but gotten sick." which i'm guessing you'll cringe at... or should I say, at which I'm guessing you'll cringe. ;) Yet the meaning of what the speaker is saying still comes across to most listeners. When the speaker breaks the rules of natural grammar, however, such as the syntax of the sentence, the offense is a little deeper, but if they maintain natural grammatical rules while ignoring prescriptive rules, their meaning can usually be extracted by a moderately sharp listener. For that matter, if they follow natural rules but totally ignore meanings, there's no overt grammatical problem, hence "Jabberwocky" by Carroll.

I'll shut up now... I'm sorry, i know this is all totally :offtopic:, but I wanted to drop in my 2 cents.

Incidentally, I think that Sami's Pita shop in Eastown is a fantastic place to get lunch. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Sandmann's.

I've never heard of anyone going to the rib crib, but judging by the name, it can't be THAT bad, it says ribs in the name!

Anyone read the article about Sandmann's being a host at a Food Festival in Italy (?) ? It was a great article. People were a bit hesitant about the barbecued ribs, but by the end of the week could not get enough of them.

edit: here is the article.

Archived