good restaurants for lunch

dtown

Yes, the SE corner of Bridge Street and Lane Ave. Its now called "Ganadero Mexican Grill" or something (they got a liquor license), but its pretty much the same as it always was, except you get real plates now instead of styrofoam. :lol:

There is also one on Burton but I've never been to that one.

Thanks for the directions, I'll have to pay a visit this weekend.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maggie's Kitchen is on Bridge Street is excellent, quick, and cheap.

For Americanized Chinese food I like First Wok with a few locations around town. I haven't had real Chinese in Grand Rapids, but I have eaten a few times in Chinatown just south of downtown Chicago. I'll have to give the real stuff in GR a try.

-nb

Where is wei wei's located at?

I think just about every 'Japanese' resturaunt in town actually is mostly Japanese.. there hasn't been too much Americanisation of Japanese resturaunts. Although Suki Hana in Woodland (or is it Eastbrook?) seemed to be more "asian" than Japanese specifically when I checked it out a couple years ago.

That also reminds me.. there's a popular spot in Eastbrook that has overpriced food and a great variety of beverages. They advertised having Bawls (Energy Drink) which is a little hard-to-find. I stopped in there probably a good 4 times trying to get it and was told they didn't have any. After about 4 months I complained about them being out of stock every time I stopped in and was told "well, we stopped carrying it a year ago". Thanks. A lot. I came there JUST for Bawls and instead of them telling me that they don't carry it any more, they just told me they didn't have any. And last time I checked, they STILL have 2 counter stickers advertising that they carry it, and it's STILL on their menu board. Thus, I will not be giving them any service ever again.

-end rant-

Yes, the Chinese dish for people who don't like Chinese food. I don't mean to insult you or anything, I just think it's funny that someone would recommend an asian restaurant and then specifically recommend probably the least asian thing on the menu. :)

-nb

LOL well Im putting in my reccomendation for XO's General Tso's too!!!

Asian tradition be damned that chicken is mighty tasty! :rofl:

Try Cherry Deli; it's ...on Cherry. Excellent sandwich's- I can't eat at Subway or any other chain anymore now that I'm spoiled.

I second the vote for Cherry Deli! YUM! White Chicken Chili...great paninis with great names!

im probobly going to Grand Haven next week and im probobbly going to stop in GR for lunch. Could you tell me of any moderatly priced restaurants where i could get a decent lunch downtown?

thanks a lot :)

So...where did you go?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Where is wei wei's located at?

Okay, that's it. I can't take any more. I've put up with "another words" for "in other words" and "would of" for "would have" but in the name of God, people, "where's it located at?" It's just plain "Where's it located?" No "at." "Where is it?" not "Where's it at?"

Phew, got that off my chest. Sincerest apologies to tSlater; you are not alone and just following a trend. I know we're all just here for fun and shouldn't take the grammar too seriously. Just hate to see it slide into the mud completely. Watched Kate & Leopold this weekend, maybe that's what set me off. Sorry. Carry on.

I guess not so much hard to find, just not very common =p

It's my beverage of choice whilst I DJ. When I DJ I surround myself with blue lighting, and equipment which glows blue. Having the small blue bottle, being an energy drink (great for late-night sets), and being a relatively unknown beverage really help add to the atmosphere and allure of the dj booth.

In regards to 'where at': thanks.. I never really notised the uselessness of 'at' in the phrase until you mentioned it. It's something that might take me a while, but I'll work on it. =D

Okay, that's it. I can't take any more. I've put up with "another words" for "in other words" and "would of" for "would have" but in the name of God, people, "where's it located at?" It's just plain "Where's it located?" No "at." "Where is it?" not "Where's it at?"

Phew, got that off my chest. Sincerest apologies to tSlater; you are not alone and just following a trend. I know we're all just here for fun and shouldn't take the grammar too seriously. Just hate to see it slide into the mud completely. Watched Kate & Leopold this weekend, maybe that's what set me off. Sorry. Carry on.

:rofl: You tell em PT! I really try not to end a sentence with a preposition. Of course, I'm not 100% successful at it. The "would of's" too.

Welcome, fellow linguist!! It's not what y'all are thinking...get yer dirty little minds out of the gutter!

My current pet peeve is "a person that..." A person is a human being, and should be referred to as "who" in this example. Watch posted messages and listen to folks, and you'll get to enjoy this again and again. ("It's a girl!" works because we didn't know what "it" was.)

Next up is the use of "they" or "them" as a gender-neutral term for an individual. "When your child decides that they need to take band..." Nooooo! There are ways around this that maintain the singular-plural split.

And finally, "ask her or I..." This ain't rocket science. If it's unclear, put "her" aside for a moment. You would never say, "ask I..." If you would say that, you need to step away from the keyboard and read a book or ten. (Grrr.)

Don't get me started on "going forward," "that being said," "if you will," "like," "y'know," and all those other crutches.

[favorite section in my Sunday Freep: the Word Court column]

I have a couple more:

"That's a whole NOTHER...." (no explanation needed)

"Each of the forumers should post THEIR...." (instead of his/her)

"Those two bikes are for her and I...." (Would you say "that one bike is for I?") The worst part is that I get the feeling people are saying it to sound proper.

Although my writing leaves much to be desired. :blush:

I guess not so much hard to find, just not very common =p

It's my beverage of choice whilst I DJ. When I DJ I surround myself with blue lighting, and equipment which glows blue. Having the small blue bottle, being an energy drink (great for late-night sets), and being a relatively unknown beverage really help add to the atmosphere and allure of the dj booth.

my friend Jason drinks about 3 bawls a day, he used to have a pic of all the bottles of bawls he drank, and i think there was like 170 bottles or something, lol

I must admit that my grammar in casually social situations is pretty horrible, to say the least. When I'm writing something more important, however, proper grammar does come naturally to me most of the time. It's almost as though it's two different languages, both used in different situations.

Archived