Louisville vs Lexington

kywildcat502

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I love both cities SO much, and they're so different. It seems to me this is a odd comparison b/c they seem like apples and oranges. Louisville is flat as a pancake Lexington is kinda hilly. Louisville has KY Kingdom, which provides some fun. Louisville is MUCH more urban that Lexington, but those incredible and beautiful horse farms are just amazing. As we all know, Lexington has the superior University, especially in basketball. Louisville's airport is gargantuan compared to Lexington's. Louisville's infrastructure is more developed than Lexington's. These two cities are so different it's hard for me to pick a favorite but if I was forced to I would probably pick Lexington.

Wow, I love both cities SO much, and they're so different. It seems to me this is a odd comparison b/c they seem like apples and oranges. Louisville is flat as a pancake Lexington is kinda hilly. Louisville has KY Kingdom, which provides some fun. Louisville is MUCH more urban that Lexington, but those incredible and beautiful horse farms are just amazing. As we all know, Lexington has the superior University, especially in basketball. Louisville's airport is gargantuan compared to Lexington's. Louisville's infrastructure is more developed than Lexington's. These two cities are so different it's hard for me to pick a favorite but if I was forced to I would probably pick Lexington.

Yea I really like Lexington as well..but Louisville is becoming a major US city and Louisville Metro is now 3 times the size of Lexington (I saw on the news). But yea I am a huge UK basketball fan so I had fun at the UK basketball Museum in Lex. Louisville is just flat out growing and with the new arena going to built, it will spark even more growth downtown. But yea I guess I like Louisville more not just becasue I was born and raised here...but it has more of a busy/fast paced city feel to it which is what I like. Lexington is just too layed back for me..Lex just seems like its missing something...

Yea I really like Lexington as well..but Louisville is becoming a major US city and Louisville Metro is now 3 times the size of Lexington (I saw on the news). But yea I am a huge UK basketball fan so I had fun at the UK basketball Museum in Lex. Louisville is just flat out growing and with the new arena going to built, it will spark even more growth downtown. But yea I guess I like Louisville more not just becasue I was born and raised here...but it has more of a busy/fast paced city feel to it which is what I like. Lexington is just too layed back for me..Lex just seems like its missing something...

I don't really think the topic is fair to either city. Although I'm a louisville resident, I went to the University of Kentucky, so I got to spend some time in Lexington. Basketball gets in the way of peoples rationale when talking about these two cities. I love both cities, I choose to be here because this is the place where I grew up and my job is here. Its apples and oranges, two totally different cities that rarely if ever compete with each other for jobs and for conventions. Secondly I'm a Kentuckian and I don't favor one over the other and it shouldn't even be a topic of discussion in my opinion. Its different strokes for different folks, some people prefer one over the other and vice versa. Louisville competes with Nashville and Indy in terms of regional economy. Both cities have pros and cons and both cities are growing at national averages. Both cities are trying to improve the image of Kentucky, both cities are revatilizing there downtown areas. I never thought it was fair to compare things with relatively nothing in common. Only thing the two places have in common is they are both in Kentucky. You wouldn't see anybody comparing Chicago to Indianpolis. There really isn't much comparison besides both cities are in the midwest. This isn't a criticism to the thread starter or anybody who posted in this thread, just making the case that I don't think its fair to compare the two. Not only that but it was started Louisville vs Lexington like both places are gearing up for war.LOL Again I love both cities and I like the progression both cities are finally starting to make.

I have attended the University of Kentucky for the past four years and have visited the city of Louisville frequently on the weekends (due to my girlfriend attending U of L). I love the vibrant, urban feel of Louisville along with the fast paced lifestyle. I love being in the city. However, When considering the word "Kentucky" two things come to mind: basketball and horses. Even though Louisville appeals to my "urban side" much more than Lexington, It is important to note that Lexington IS "The Horse Capital of the World". However, the most important aspect that puts one city over the other is......AAAHHHHHHhhhhhh.....C...A...T...S...Cats! Cats! Cats! 'Nough said. Peace y'all. :thumbsup:

I have attended the University of Kentucky for the past four years and have visited the city of Louisville frequently on the weekends (due to my girlfriend attending U of L). I love the vibrant, urban feel of Louisville along with the fast paced lifestyle. I love being in the city. However, When considering the word "Kentucky" two things come to mind: basketball and horses. Even though Louisville appeals to my "urban side" much more than Lexington, It is important to note that Lexington IS "The Horse Capital of the World". However, the most important aspect that puts one city over the other is......AAAHHHHHHhhhhhh.....C...A...T...S...Cats! Cats! Cats! 'Nough said. Peace y'all. :thumbsup:

This is why i say people get caught up in basketball way to much in this state. When people think of Kentucky its certainly not basketball, its rednecks and people with poor hygene. I wish people around the country had a more positive view on the state.This is what I would like to see changed and I think when people visit Lou or Lex and many other towns they will get a different view on the state.

Kentucky may be the only state where basketball is more influential on people lives than promoting education. Maybe i'm different because I lived in philly for 6 yrs before I moved back to Louisville. I can assure you that people in Philadelphia do not associate Kentucky with basketball. I know basketball is important to folks in Lexington, but I know here in Louisville alot of the people that live here aren't even from Kentucky. They have moved here from other cities around the country, so they don't have a passion for college basketball like that. I'm not saying there's not a huge portion of passionate basketball fans here, but there's alot of people who could care less about it. Thats the one thing I love about living here, we have alot of Michigan, Notre Damn, IU, UofL,UK, and Purdue grads living here. Personally I'm a big College football and NFL fan anyway. The only time I care about horses is the first weekend in May. Thats why I said comparing the two cities isn't fair because the cultures of both cities are vastly different. People in Central Kentucky Love horse racing and basketball, people in Louisville like basketball and love horse racing for 3 weeks out of the year.

YES SIR!!!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay here's the deal......

Louisville is inherently screwed when it comes to being on top of the list, and i'll explain why.

First off, Kentucky is the "BLUEgrass State". Noting mentioning our school (yet), all one has to do is look up in the sky. Louisville sky scrapers are peppered with the color red. Lexington, though we only have a few, are peppered with the color BLUE.

They are also screwed geographically as well. I mean, how do you describe to somebody where Louisville is located within the state? Is it the northern part of the state? No. Is it in the western part of the state? No. It is, Kentucky put, "over there". The phrase "over there" just naturally leads one to think "2nd class" or of "non-importance". Lexington, on the other hand, can be easily explained...CENTRAL.

Next, the question itself implies something. Which one of the two cities should be called KENTUCKY'S best city. Now let me ask this question in return: Which city would do you think resembles KENTUCKY the best? Doesn't matter what area you want to look at: politically, business wise, religion...Lexington is closer to the "Kentucky way" than Louisville.

Last but not least, the schools. Growing up as a little kid watching Kentucky basketball came second only to attending chuch on Sunday...and even then it was a close call. People outside of the state think Kentucky and Louisville fans are crazy over basketball and their schools. Which is true to an extent. Louisville fans are avid when they play Kentucky. Kentucky fans are avid when we play Team Nike in an exhibition. Even if you don't buy that point, look no further than the school colors. Red and Black tends to give the image of dark and evil, while blue and white portrays brightness and good. And oh yeah, we are the state university which signifies excellence and accomplishment.

So, everybody in Louisville should just accept it. It's only naturally for everybody else in the state to not pay attention to you. As long as you all bring in money that can help get spread across the state, everything is cool by us. :D

Okay here's the deal......

Louisville is inherently screwed when it comes to being on top of the list, and i'll explain why.

First off, Kentucky is the "BLUEgrass State". Noting mentioning our school (yet), all one has to do is look up in the sky. Louisville sky scrapers are peppered with the color red. Lexington, though we only have a few, are peppered with the color BLUE.

They are also screwed geographically as well. I mean, how do you describe to somebody where Louisville is located within the state? Is it the northern part of the state? No. Is it in the western part of the state? No. It is, Kentucky put, "over there". The phrase "over there" just naturally leads one to think "2nd class" or of "non-importance". Lexington, on the other hand, can be easily explained...CENTRAL.

Next, the question itself implies something. Which one of the two cities should be called KENTUCKY'S best city. Now let me ask this question in return: Which city would do you think resembles KENTUCKY the best? Doesn't matter what area you want to look at: politically, business wise, religion...Lexington is closer to the "Kentucky way" than Louisville.

Last but not least, the schools. Growing up as a little kid watching Kentucky basketball came second only to attending chuch on Sunday...and even then it was a close call. People outside of the state think Kentucky and Louisville fans are crazy over basketball and their schools. Which is true to an extent. Louisville fans are avid when they play Kentucky. Kentucky fans are avid when we play Team Nike in an exhibition. Even if you don't buy that point, look no further than the school colors. Red and Black tends to give the image of dark and evil, while blue and white portrays brightness and good. And oh yeah, we are the state university which signifies excellence and accomplishment.

So, everybody in Louisville should just accept it. It's only naturally for everybody else in the state to not pay attention to you. As long as you all bring in money that can help get spread across the state, everything is cool by us. :D

I guess man, I didn't know thats the way God intended it to be. I guess my parents made the mistake of having me born in "Louisville" aka the place nobody gives a damn about. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Lexington is just too layed back for me..Lex just seems like its missing something...

Hardly my friend. That is what makes it VERY special. How many cities of 250,000 can you say that about in the US, and in the South no less!!??

Lexington has a character that is unique to it, and it only. Keep that and embrace it. Many cities larger and smaller envy them for this style of life.

I miss Lexington, could ya tell? LOL!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've only lived here (the ville) for 8 years (actually I live in Bardstown work in the ville). Did not know much about L'ville when I moved here and really still do not. Moved here to take care of my mother in law who had Alzhiemers and spent 24/7 with her for five years. Did not know where I really was until I went to work for Enterprise Rent a Car part time and had to know my way around. I learned quick!! But still don't know much about L'ville. I can find my way around the city but would love to know the city! Anyone out there that can tell me more from a local that has lived here for a while and knows where to go and what to see? Thanks

Archived