What should be built on Granby St N. of Brambleton?

vtfan18

I just wanted to get an idea of what people think should be developed on Granby St, north of Brambleton Avenue? There has been discussion from the city of tearing down the bus station, possibly for a new library. Other than that, there hasn't been much news regarding that next block. Nothing really historical to preserve, especially on the left side of the street where the pawn shop, "garage", and furniture store sit. That entire block could be torn down and redeveloped. The city really has an opportunity to push a great development on that block. If you had your choice, what would you want to see developed?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than that, there hasn't been much news regarding that next block. Nothing really historical to preserve, especially on the left side of the street where the pawn shop, "garage", and furniture store sit.

That side of the block is owned by Mr. Decker and there has been talk of plans for large scale development there. It's been talked about for sometime now and land has been bought up/ pieced together for years. It is expected, though i'm unaware of the exact timescale we're looking at. There was also some discussion of this in the stores and retail thread

That side of the block is owned by Mr. Decker and there has been talk of plans for large scale development there. It's been talked about for sometime now and land has been bought up/ pieced together for years. It is expected, though i'm unaware of the exact timescale we're looking at. There was also some discussion of this in the stores and retail thread

While I would be happy to see something nice go in there I do think our downtown needs a street with a dirty pawn shop and a run down gaybar. It wouldn't be a downtown without it. Where are we going to move the junk to?

While I would be happy to see something nice go in there I do think our downtown needs a street with a dirty pawn shop and a run down gaybar. It wouldn't be a downtown without it. Where are we going to move the junk to?

While I have nothing against those establishments. I don't think keeping them in their current location best serves the future of the City. The land is too valuable to just stay the way it is. Land is already scarce, I'm not sure where they could move but keeping them in their current location would inhibit future development and growth.

If anyone else has frequented our fine gay establishments, you already know Tidewater has cornered the market of run down gaybars. :sick:

The question of what types of uses should go on Granby Street north of Brambleton is an important one for Downtown to expand. This area is completely underutilized and would be a perfect palate for new development. Furthermore, this portion of Granby Street acts as the missing link between the growing Ghent area around 21st street and downtown. That said, there is some wonderful existing urban form, particularly towards Virginia Beach BLVD, but new development, no matter what its use, needs to play an important role in defining this link in a meaningful and seamless manner.

This, no doubt, will be difficult when utilizing the conventional combination strategy of zoning code and design review. For new development to occur quickly, we need to improve the regulatory structure in place that is guiding new development in this corridor. Nothing will disrupt a private developer more than the combination of murky development regulations (i.e., those governed by zoning) and subjective design review. Add an additional layer of NIMBYism and nothing will happen.

What is needed is an improved regulatory mechanism to permit quicker development approval without sacrificing the quality of the urban form. I firmly believe that this can be accomplished by utilizing a public process similar to that being utilized for the Hampton BLVD complrehensive plan update. By extracting public input from the public, the landowners, and other concerend entities up front, an appropriate vision for the area can be established to which a set of new regulatory guidelines can be developed. Specifically, I am talking about Form-Based Codes. http://www.formbasedcodes.org/

With a vision established and a more workable regulatory mechanism in place, private developers can more approprirately guage the market within downtown Norfolk and the region to build what needs to be built.

Oh... Another thing I wanted to point out is almost all of the buildings have signs on them advertising that they are for lease. Likely nothing too imminent if they are looking for new leaseholders...

Whatever happened to that discussion led by Vdogg and Ace in the "Retail" forum about a big retail development in this area?

I think the key for the other side is Granby Tower success and the new library on the Greyhound site.

These projects are important, yes, but they are the catalyst not the key. I agree wholeheartedly with rmandles post above. A streamlined design review process coupled with community input is what's needed here. To my knowledge we have yet to adopt a comprehensive plan ala Wards Corner and St. Pauls quadrant for the North Granby street corridor. I think it is long overdue if it hasn't been done and if it has been done it was likely sometime ago and needs to be updated anyway.

These projects are important, yes, but they are the catalyst not the key. I agree wholeheartedly with rmandles post above. A streamlined design review process coupled with community input is what's needed here. To my knowledge we have yet to adopt a comprehensive plan ala Wards Corner and St. Pauls quadrant for the North Granby street corridor. I think it is long overdue if it hasn't been done and if it has been done it was likely sometime ago and needs to be updated anyway.

One thing is that DT plaza hasn't been developed yet. I think we need to worry about this first. There seems to be a more of a push to go east first to Tidewater Dr.

One thing is that DT plaza hasn't been developed yet. I think we need to worry about this first.

Waiting for one section of town to be completely developed before considering what should happen in the other part of town is a sure fire way to slow development down for decades. I'm not worried about DT plaza, they have been beating back develpers as is and something would probably be breaking ground already if they hadn't decided to slow things down a bit and complete the review process first. N. Granby is a completely different animal which will require considerable more time and attention. I believe the city has the ability to multitask and pay attention to both these areas at the same time, and I think they must.

The city is currently undergoing a massive study for the downtown plaza ($500,000) with a pretty reknowned urban design consultant, Goody Clancy of Boston (www.goodyclancy.com). They also released an RFP a few months ago for a consolidated municipal courthouse facility in the vicinity of the existing facility. Rumor has it that a developer had approached them with a redevelopment proposal and excited the city to look for more...

I think this kind of attention is also need for the area north of Brambleton. Essentially the area bounded by Llwellyn to the east, Brambleton to the south (although you could push that to York Street), Monticello to the west (and into the projects), and up to the new Bristol development to the north.

Waiting for one section of town to be completely developed before considering what should happen in the other part of town is a sure fire way to slow development down for decades. I'm not worried about DT plaza, they have been beating back develpers as is and something would probably be breaking ground already if they hadn't decided to slow things down a bit and complete the review process first. N. Granby is a completely different animal which will require considerable more time and attention. I believe the city has the ability to multitask and pay attention to both these areas at the same time, and I think they must.

I agree. I just seemed like the city was more worried about that area.

I'd certainly like to see some sort of mixed use development. Definitely a mixture of low-rise to mid-rise. But I certainly won't object to any skyscraper if a developer wants to build one. I think a mixture of retail, business, and residential would add the important components to sustain revitalization. I'd like to see more people on the streets so perhaps one or two areas with outdoor dining or dining on a balcony that over looks the street.

Post any examples if you have a pic or website to share of something you think might work for that area.

Greetings. I've enjoyed reading the HR threads for some time and thought I'd finally join in. I'd have to agree with VT--a mix of residential and restaurant property would help extend Ghent (especially Bristol) toward downtown. Maybe some rooftop restaurants with a view of Ghent, Granby, and Fort Norfolk.

Greetings. I've enjoyed reading the HR threads for some time and thought I'd finally join in. I'd have to agree with VT--a mix of residential and restaurant property would help extend Ghent (especially Bristol) toward downtown. Maybe some rooftop restaurants with a view of Ghent, Granby, and Fort Norfolk.

Welcome Sky06! I think you're one of many that just enjoy reading, but I know you'll enjoy being able to contribute and post even more! :D

I just wanted to get an idea of what people think should be developed on Granby St, north of Brambleton Avenue? There has been discussion from the city of tearing down the bus station, possibly for a new library. Other than that, there hasn't been much news regarding that next block. Nothing really historical to preserve, especially on the left side of the street where the pawn shop, "garage", and furniture store sit. That entire block could be torn down and redeveloped. The city really has an opportunity to push a great development on that block. If you had your choice, what would you want to see developed?

A Border's or Barnes and Noble would attract a lot of traffic in that area and with the community college expanding, it would give another place for students to read/hang out.

A Border's or Barnes and Noble would attract a lot of traffic in that area and with the community college expanding, it would give another place for students to read/hang out.

I agree. I'd definitely like to see a major bookstore anchor the downtown area. However, I think the downtown population needs to increase a bit more before B&N or Border's will move in. I'd really also like to see a Chipotle or Noodle & Co. downtown. Chipotle is awesome and would kill especially during the lunch hour. I think the closet Chipotle is in Richmond and then DC. Both Chipotle and Noodle & Co would make a great addition to the urban setting as far as creating foot traffic in the urban setting.

I agree. I'd definitely like to see a major bookstore anchor the downtown area. However, I think the downtown population needs to increase a bit more before B&N or Border's will move in. I'd really also like to see a Chipotle or Noodle & Co. downtown. Chipotle is awesome and would kill especially during the lunch hour. I think the closet Chipotle is in Richmond and then DC. Both Chipotle and Noodle & Co would make a great addition to the urban setting as far as creating foot traffic in the urban setting.

There is a burrito bar that puts Chipotle to shame over on York Street. They have tons of fresh vegetables and they make there own salsa and guacamole daily. Its not a Noodle & Co, but someone is opening a Thai restraunt on Granby across the street from 456 Fish.

There is a burrito bar that puts Chipotle to shame over on York Street. They have tons of fresh vegetables and they make there own salsa and guacamole daily. Its not a Noodle & Co, but someone is opening a Thai restraunt on Granby across the street from 456 Fish.

Bangkok Garden on 21st is a great Thai restaurant. Also, the bookstore would pull in people from Ghent and downtown workers who may not live in DT.

Archived