Political Corruption

fieldmarshaldj

That God we live in a country where political corruption basically is not tolerated, and politicians do pay for their transgressions.

You're kidding, right ? :blink:

I know a certain political party where criminality is almost a prerequisite for public service, and I'll venture a guess the "pol" responsible for this little stunt hails from it. -_-

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a certain political party where criminality is almost a prerequisite for public service, and I'll venture a guess the "pol" responsible for this little stunt hails from it. -_-

I don't know which party you are referring to. I'd say both have that perequisite. Republicans and Dems alike.

Not to speak for FMJ but in this case I believe he is referring to the Democrats. But you are correct the nature of man (read man and women) being what it is that whenever power consolidates with either party corruption will reign.

I must assume you've haven't travelled or lived overseas. I have, and it's an eye opening experience to see the obsene amount of political corruption that exists elsewhere. Yes, we have a lot of political corruption, but at least here politicos must worry about the distinct possibility of getting caught and paying the price, including Democrats.........

I think transperancy international ranked the U.S. as the 17th or 18th least corrupt government in the world for 2005. I think pretty much all the countries ahead of the U.S. were from Europe except for austrailia and new zealand...so the U.S. certainly isn't perfect but when you consider that over 158 nations were ranked, we don't look to shabby.

and FMJ, I'm just gonna assume that your referring to the political party of tom delay right.... :shades:

I think transperancy international ranked the U.S. as the 17th or 18th least corrupt government in the world for 2005. I think pretty much all the countries ahead of the U.S. were from Europe except for austrailia and new zealand...so the U.S. certainly isn't perfect but when you consider that over 158 nations were ranked, we don't look to shabby.

and FMJ, I'm just gonna assume that your referring to the political party of tom delay right.... :shades:

I think it's the same party of Duke Cunningham as welll

Lets all be civil because each side could spend all day and night throwing up accused, convicted, jailed, impeached, embarassed ect pols from BOTH parties. In this case it sounds like it is a connected buisness man and maybe not even a politician.

I must assume you've haven't travelled or lived overseas. I have, and it's an eye opening experience to see the obsene amount of political corruption that exists elsewhere. Yes, we have a lot of political corruption, but at least here politicos must worry about the distinct possibility of getting caught and paying the price, including Democrats.........

Nope, never lived overseas, but I still find the level of political corruption (amongst other things) to be breathtaking enough on this side of the world. I had my fill of the one-party banana republic corruption here on the local scene to kick that party to the curb in the '80s. It was certainly good for cleansing the soul, like a high colonic. :thumbsup:

Lets all be civil because each side could spend all day and night throwing up accused, convicted, jailed, impeached, embarassed ect pols from BOTH parties. In this case it sounds like it is a connected buisness man and maybe not even a politician.

Quite true, we could spend all day and night. Problem is, 95% of it would just be for listing those just in that one party. -_-

As a Democrat, I must admit that when the Republicans get caught at least they resign from office. You have to pull the Democrats out of office with their hands in cuffs. They're all a bunch of whores.

Yes, you have seen the light. There is no doubt that what you say is true. If Republicans are caught doing something they shouldn't have done, they realize their moral responsibilty to step down. People must be held accountable for their actions, and that is a founding principle held by Republicans. Many Democrats (most maybe), on the other hand, don't seem to share the same level of moral responsibility. Their initial reaction is to "never say they did wrong", and always try to place the blame on others. They have trouble in taking responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, you have seen the light. There is no doubt that what you say is true. If Republicans are caught doing something they shouldn't have done, they realize their moral responsibilty to step down. People must be held accountable for their actions, and that is a founding principle held by Republicans. Many Democrats (most maybe), on the other hand, don't seem to share the same level of moral responsibility. Their initial reaction is to "never say they did wrong", and always try to place the blame on others. They have trouble in taking responsibility for their own actions.

It's interesting that Republicans find their "morals" when they get caught. And I have to agree that Dems tend to say "who me?" I do recall being asked when I first moved here about how I felt about Clinton and all, that wasn't that the craziest thing? No it wasn't really. DC is one of the most hedonistic cities. It's kind of the ugly man's Hollywood. I worked for a Republican right out of college and had lots of friends with Dems. (I even stole Barbara Boxer's son's girlfriend) There are few saints there. I think the ones from Utah were about the cleanest.

Yes...I imagine for every sin a Republican has been guilty of and that can be pointed out, there is an equal sin by a Democrat...and vice versa. I once met a respected, long-term senator from the party I usually vote for and he tried to convince me to go back to his hotel room with him. The man was 72 years old and had been married for over 50 years. BTW...yes, I'm female.

Ha, thanks for the clarification I was wondering...not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

So does you name suggest you are a fan of our beloved Titans and the Razerbacks?

Yes...I imagine for every sin a Republican has been guilty of and that can be pointed out, there is an equal sin by a Democrat...and vice versa. I once met a respected, long-term senator from the party I usually vote for and he tried to convince me to go back to his hotel room with him. The man was 72 years old and had been married for over 50 years. BTW...yes, I'm female.

Strom was like that... Okay, I suspect it wasn't him... But there were some respected congressman and Senators who were known to dabble on the other side of the fence. That hadn't come out of the closet really. One was a Republican from AZ who finally did.

Ha, thanks for the clarification I was wondering...not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

So does you name suggest you are a fan of our beloved Titans and the Razerbacks?

Yes...a Titans fan and Razorback fan...it's been difficult to be a fan of both the last two years!!

Strom was like that... Okay, I suspect it wasn't him... But there were some respected congressman and Senators who were known to dabble on the other side of the fence. That hadn't come out of the closet really. One was a Republican from AZ who finally did.

Well, she wasn't talking about a gay encounter. Strom Thurmond was never married 50 years to anyone. His first marriage ended tragically with his wife's untimely death, and his second wife descended into alcoholism, especially after the death of their daughter at the hands of a drunk driver when she was in college (he was effectively single the last dozen years of his life, despite being technically still married). I would be interested in hearing who this "respected" Senator was (I presume it was a U.S. Senator). The only one I could think of who would've been married that long would be the senior Senator from West Virginia (but the thought of Robert Byrd hitting on someone... blech), but he would've been 72 back in 1989. His wife just died recently, though.

Well, she wasn't talking about a gay encounter. Strom Thurmond was never married 50 years to anyone. His first marriage ended tragically with his wife's untimely death, and his second wife descended into alcoholism, especially after the death of their daughter at the hands of a drunk driver when she was in college (he was effectively single the last dozen years of his life, despite being technically still married). I would be interested in hearing who this "respected" Senator was (I presume it was a U.S. Senator). The only one I could think of who would've been married that long would be the senior Senator from West Virginia (but the thought of Robert Byrd hitting on someone... blech), but he would've been 72 back in 1989. His wife just died recently, though.

I know it wasn't Strom... I was joking. And I know she wasn't talking about a gay encounter. Way too much analysis. My unstated point was that if Titanhog wasn't a she, it wouldn't surprise me otherwise. As I said in a previous note, the place is hedonistic and darn near everything goes.

I know it wasn't Strom... I was joking. And I know she wasn't talking about a gay encounter. Way too much analysis. My unstated point was that if Titanhog wasn't a she, it wouldn't surprise me otherwise. As I said in a previous note, the place is hedonistic and darn near everything goes.

Sorry about the overanalysis, I'm a bit of a political historian and pundit. :blush:

I created a seperate thread for this broader topic of corruption in state and local politics. As long as it remains civil I will leave it open. I would ask that anything unsubstantiated in the media not be posted in this topic, if folks want to discuss certian lines of discussion already mentioned in this thread PM is more suitable. Thanks. :)

As a Democrat, I must admit that when the Republicans get caught at least they resign from office. You have to pull the Democrats out of office with their hands in cuffs. They're all a bunch of whores.

LMAO...very true. :lol:

All politicians are evil, though. We'd be in better hands if retards ran the country.

As someone who strongly supported Republicans in 2004, I am disappointed in the results so far. I will say a large part of it (such as reforming social security so that I can actually earn more in my "retirement" account than inflation eats up) is due to blocking by the dems. That said, I am disgusted at both parties for allowing illegal aliens to continue crossing our borders. We need a 15 foot fince lined with razor wire, underground motion sensors, and more alligators in the rio grande. I will however continue to vote republican if for nothing else than to be the lesser of two evils. John Ford Jr becoming a senator scares the crap out of me (yes, I know his real name).

That said, I am disgusted at both parties for allowing illegal aliens to continue crossing our borders. We need a 15 foot fince lined with razor wire, underground motion sensors, and more alligators in the rio grande.

This is the sole reason why the President is doing so poorly in the polls. He suffers badly amongst Republicans because of his milquetoast solutions to this serious problem. Reaching out to the Dems is not an option either, since there is such pathological hatred for him on that side ("Bush Derangement Syndrome") that if he adopted Ted Kennedy's platform, it still wouldn't matter. If you really wanted to do something to alleviate this problem, beyond the usual fence-building stance, start prosecuting business owners who liberally utilize illegal labor and give them stiff fines and prison sentences. Do that, deprive illegals of job opportunities, and migration will slow to a crawl.

Sorry about the overanalysis, I'm a bit of a political historian and pundit. :blush:

That's okay... I remember when Strom was still alive and I'd cover the Senate Armed Services Committee. That was early 1990s. Even at that age, he wasn't afraid to flirt. It was amazing to see a guy at that age light up with a pretty girl around.

Archived