Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

microtuskegee

City Manager form of government

5 posts in this topic

In Tuskegee we switched to city manager form of government in 2004 and now we have new development and economic growth. Auburn too has a city manager and everyone knows about the growth of Auburn.

Can someone tell me why city manager form of government is so popular and how other cities like having a city manager?

It offers a sense of accountability for efficient use of city revenue and running of municipal services

Richmond recently got rid of its city manager in favor of a strong, popularly-elected mayor. I'm not sure if it was good or bad for us... the system was forced on us by the Supreme Court I think.

Little Rock has a city manager system and it's generally not well-liked. I would like to see a "strong mayor " type of government there.

Little Rock has a city manager system and it's generally not well-liked. I would like to see a "strong mayor " type of government there.

The reason L.R. got rid of its strong mayor can be traced back to the '50s when a Republican named Pratt Remmel managed to get elected mayor (to my knowledge, he was the sole Republican in office in the state at the time). The local Dems were horrified at the prospect of a potential emerging 2-party system, and quickly moved to sack Remmel and do away with the strong mayor (approved by the voters after his Dem successor took office).