Downtown Springfield Devlopments

Wilhoit Plaza is a 100,000 sgf. mixed use development. The first level will include office and retail with the second being upscale lofts. Quizno's has already been annouced and will be the first location in Downtown Springfield. The current building is the oldest office building still standing in downtown.

wilhoitplaza.jpg

The Founders Park Lofts is one of the many new residential develpments in Downtown. There are over 60 lofts in this building located across the street form the beautiful Founders Park. Loft prices range from $600-$2,000 a month.

photos001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

There's something just very pleasant about those buildings, especially the one in the upper picture. I don't know it seems familiar like I've walked along those storefronts in another life or something. Hey... I've been up all night what'cha expect! :lol:

^^

There's something just very pleasant about those buildings, especially the one in the upper picture. I don't know it seems familiar like I've walked along those storefronts in another life or something. Hey... I've been up all night what'cha expect! :lol:

The buildings look sooo much better in person. I really need to go get some pics so people can see the general area.

I know the feeling. I need to get a new digital camera since mine seems to be broken. :(

See there's a difference between me and you, I'm just too lazy to get off my a$$ and take some photos (really I never have time) but you propably have a lagit excuse. I actually have some pic's on my computer already but I can't seem to find the freak'n file I put them under. :angry:

• 1 month later...

Innovation center sparks investment

Matt Miller Co. buys adjacent properties.

The Jordan Valley Innovation Center in downtown Springfield is still under construction, but the future it promises has a downtown developer investing in adjacent properties.

The Matt Miller Co. this month bought a seven-building, six-acre property between Phelps and Mill streets, just southwest of the innovation center on Boonville Avenue.

DO38971824.JPG

"We would not have gone for it without the Jordan Valley Innovation Center," said Matt Miller of the company's latest real estate acquisition, which he said was priced at more than $1 million.

The news excited Ryan Giedd, executive director for the innovation center.

"It's just what we had hoped," Giedd said. "... Developers will see more opportunities for housing, retail and office."

The real estate deal between the Matt Miller Co. and Bob Fisher was closed on Aug. 4.

The company has yet to figure out details for what will be its largest endeavor, but the interest spurred by the innovation center has pleased local economic development officials.

"It's the snowball effect," said Greg Williams, senior vice president of economic development for the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce. "... More and more people will want to live close to the JVIC. There will be more people in downtown, going to night clubs and dining. ... It's going to be tremendous."

Big challenges

Edgar "Rock" Hagens, who runs a clothing shop on Boonville Avenue, saw how downtown St. Louis rebounded with more residents.

Now, Hagens is hoping the same thing will happen to Springfield.

"It'll help me tremendously," said Hagens of the plans for the buildings that the Matt Miller Co. bought behind his business.

"The more the people, the better the business," Hagens said.

At Country Corner, owner Ron Hunter also likes what he hears.

"It wouldn't hurt to have more people down here to shop," Hunter said.

Built around the 1900s, the buildings Miller's company bought have been used for cold storage for about a century, said John Sellars of the History Museum for Springfield and Greene County.

Like many other ice plants, this one in Springfield is located just off railway tracks, so ice could be blown into rail carts, Sellars said.

icehouse.jpg

blackman.jpg

But there are opportunities, Miller said, particularly given that the innovation center is going up on Boonville Avenue and that the city of Springfield has a vision for Jordan Valley Park's West Meadows, a 200-acre center-city green space that would extend from Main Avenue to Kansas Expressway.

Located in an enterprise zone, their new property has an edge to lure businesses, Miller said.

The six-acre property can become a campus itself, Miller said, and the company is toying with the idea of leasing to start-up companies.

Still, the developers have a lot to do: They need to work with state and city governments and secure the construction loan for the project, said Miller, who estimated the project will cost $20 million to $30 million.

And the company is still deciding on a name for the project, but "Ice House" and "Brick City" are in the running.

But Miller knows he wants to restore the original look to the buildings.

And if the company's current Wilhoit Plaza project is any indication, there is a demand for more residential and commercial space in downtown Springfield, he said.

"It'll be something great if we can rally all the people," Miller said.

• 2 weeks later...

^ The paper today said that the Matt Miller Co. (the ones building the lofts) are going to be putting in 100 lofts across the street from the JVIC. I am soooo happy he is doing this because the demand for lofts downtown is unmet to say the least, they just can't build em' fast enough. With the JVIC, that will only make matters worse. Some of the names for the lofts will be Ice House Lofts (after the original use of the building) Stove Works lofts and Brick Station.

What's he making?

A 10 Floor Condo tower or what?

No, this is the campus of those 1-4 story buildings you see in the picture above. Like all the other "Lofts" downtown, these will be authentic as well. I really can't stand it when some developers say that they will be building brand new lofts. That is fine if they do it right.......mainly "real lofts" are old buildings with high cieling's and an open floor plan that are renovated to make into cool urban lofts. Which is what these will be.

I think everyone has lost sight of what makes a loft so great. Exclusivity and uniqueness are among the top pulls for a loft. These lofts are destroying the loft feel by turning them into cookie cutter apartment complexes. Just because there is an apartment downtown with tall ceilings doesn

Sorry about all that comotion with your lofts, although I would think that someone might have sued Blue Block Lofts or at least tried. I have a couple of friends living downtown and they're lofts are about as urban as it gets. I know they aren't owned by the Matt Miller Co. but I don't know who owns them. It's not like they just put up walls and made them into apartments, they are open floor plans with no walls except for the Bedrooms. I can't say that I've heard any complaints from anyone else living in them either but not

everything is peachy-keene for everyone.

The Lofts at seville are pretty cool and open, especially the top floor (5th) the windows are amazing.

I thought the same thing! With 36 units not done in time with an avg of 2 people per apartment (mind you in the upper $$$ bracket), I'm surprised they don't get sued. This is breach of contract mind you. You would think, statistically that one of those tennents parents (most are college students) would be a lawyer not to mention another family member that would just think upon hearing their rediculous story... Hmmm... breach of contract = easy $$$. Although they did put these people up in a hotel, I wasn

I thought the same thing! With 36 units not done in time with an avg of 2 people per apartment (mind you in the upper $$$ bracket), I'm surprised they don't get sued. This is breach of contract mind you. You would think, statistically that one of those tennents parents (most are college students) would be a lawyer not to mention another family member that would just think upon hearing their rediculous story... Hmmm... breach of contract = easy $$$. Although they did put these people up in a hotel, I wasn

Opppps.......I never really Welcomed you to the site livindowntown. WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Are you from the area or go to MSU, other college's?

I really want a loft downtown but everytime I see one I want it is leased. What can you do.

I actually wanted to lease the top floor at Seville but it was leased. The price was well worth it.

I need to go look at 400 Block Lofts. I've seen pics on the net but haven't gotten over there to check it out, but now that you mentioned it I really need to.

The apartments themselves are not that cool. The lobby is where it

I saw an article in the New-Leader the other day about the Gap Dept. Store being insterested in Downtown Springfield. They quoted some not so happy campers to say the least. I don't really know how I feel about that but their used to alot of Department stores in Downtown Springfield so I don't see the problem I guess.

I saw an article in the New-Leader the other day about the Gap Dept. Store being insterested in Downtown Springfield. They quoted some not so happy campers to say the least. I don't really know how I feel about that but their used to alot of Department stores in Downtown Springfield so I don't see the problem I guess.

I've heard the Gap was closing their battlefield mall location.

I thought I would give some websites of downtown Springfield Lofts for those of you who don't really know any. There are some great pics in some of them as well.

Websites:

www.springfieldlofts.com

www.springfieldloftapartments.com

www.blueblocklofts.com

www.400place.com

I'll add to that:

http://www.udaonline.org/cat_lease_loft.html

http://www.itsalldowntown.com/Article.asp?...p;ArticleID=147

Thanks for posting those. I know there are a couple more but I think we got the main ones.

BTW.....I can't remember if you said that you live in Wilhoit, but if so I was wondering if you know what the three bedroom lofts go for. I know that there is only two places downtown that offer three bedroom lofts and Wilhoit is one of them.

Hey, if you could tell me how to upload some pictures, I will upload some of our loft.

The only way to upload photos on this site is by inserting a URL from say flickr or photobucket. When you are replying, click on the little button with a tree on it and it will prompt you for a URL. The best way to do that is just to copy and paste the URL.

I know, I wish they had a browse button on this website because it would make things a whole lot easier.

Anyway's, that would be awesome if you could provide some photos of your loft. :D

Archived