Cities you are tired of hearing about?

TheGerbil

Ok, this is by no means a bashing thread. But as a lover of this underrated city, there are certain places I'm sick of hearing about. Places that are always being praised and raved about. I admit I am kind of jealous of their good images, and sick of uninformed people unfavorably comparing my beloved city to them.

Below is my list. What is yours?

Austin, TX

San Fransisco

Phoenix

Columbus, OH

Seattle

Portland, OR

Atlanta

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True G, we DON'T want to start a vs. thread here, but your point is more then legitmate, I am reminded of the (was it NY Times?) travel editor that stated if Pittsburgh was plopped down in some less-traveled area of Europe people couldn't get there fast enough, this is how truly amazing this region is on almost all levels, to think of two of Frank Lloyd Wrights most enduring legacies, John Roebling's first bridge masterpieces (the builder of the FAMED and WORLD FAMOUS Brooklyn Bridge), and Philip Johnson's masterwork PPG Place, including all the great work done by Henry Hornbostel (courthouse, CMU, etc.), not to mention all the variety of scenic bridges, the higest percapita of classical churches, the world's first retractable domed stadium, an art deco building that emulates to a tee the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, and that is just the architecture!

The nightlife, outdoors, sports, and culture are just as noteworthy.

I agree Gerbil, far too many don't look past Pittsburgh's cover for the book.

Since when does anyone talk about Columbus, Ohio? It's like the most unknown major city in America! Also... it's much more than the beltway and disgusting sprawl that most people associate it with... it has some wonderful urban neighborhoods in the core. It's downtown is rather sad.. but neighborhoods like the German Village and Victorian Village are American treasures.

^^I think the thing with Columbus is that the Limited and Victoria's Secret are HQed very near there, plus although the Pittsburgh metro has more students then Columbus having all 55,000 students under one banner and in one central location gives Columbus something that you really can't find anywhere from Ann Arbor to Gainsville to State College as far as being hip and trendy. I don't think it is as much as a national player but Columbus from what I have seen is the "hot market" between the east coast and Chicago.

People def. talk about Columbus as much as the other "boom" cities. If you look at a population change map, whatever county Columbus is in is the only "blue" county in the state (and it and Butler county are the closest to us).

Also, Charlotte needs to be on that list...I don't care if we're not allowed to bash other cities. I really don't like that place

Yeah I forgot about Charlotte.

Pretty much any "booming" city, really. It isn't that I necessarily have anything against the actual cities, I just get so tired of hearing about them when Pittsburgh (and some other underrated cities) gets overlooked all the time. I think we're slowly starting to get noticed though.

PghUSA, what's this about?...

an art deco building that emulates to a tee the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

I am not sure what building that is. I'm intrigued.

Gerbil, it might just be my favorite Pittsburgh building, not only for the architecture that could arguably be exceeded by some structures in the region, but for the world events and world history (not to mention world fortune) it has played a direct part in. The longtime headquarters of what was for decades Pittsburgh's largest corporation and most influential ambassador (and no SteelCity USA did not have Alcoa or USSteel as its largest company from the 50's to the 80's), it became ground zero for the world's first megamerger (or mega LBO depending on your view), the movie Wall Street was loosely based on the events it hosted in the winter of 83-84.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/wt/html/g..._1930-1932.html

Mr. Mellon's greatest legacy (that's high praise considering the Mellon Bank building, 500 Grant, Koppers Building, and much of CMU) the Gulf Tower. The part about the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus is about half way down.

Also, Charlotte needs to be on that list...I don't care if we're not allowed to bash other cities. I really don't like that place

I do love Charlotte for a lot of reasons, but lately it has become very distracting, maybe I have to do something about that as moderator, not sure waiting on insight on that one from a higher power.

Columbus gets noticed???? It is probably the most unnoticed major city in America. If anything, it deserves to get noticed a lot more. Its actually quite a success story, being as it is on the edge of the rust belt and yet having a booming economy, a highly educated populace, and HQ to many successful companies. It is like the Seattle of the Midwest in some respects. However, people rarely talk about it outside of Ohio and you notice that everyone always has to say "Columbus, Ohio" as if Columbus, Georgia can give it much competition. Also, the lack of any professional sports team also causes it to go unnoticed. I get the sense that the people there actually like it that way.

As for Charlotte, I think it only gets noticed in the South and in the Pittsburgh area because many Pittsburghers have gone to NC and, from taking over banks to taking over the spot of main US Airways hub and many of US Airways' operations, Charlotte has been viewed as growing at Pittsburgh's expense. Also, being a major NASCAR city gets it noticed in Pittsburgh and in the South. Outside of that area, however, I don't think anyone really talks much about Charlotte.

What are the cities I'm tired of eharing about? Well I'd say NYC comes in as number 1. From the media, to TV shows, to movies to Madison Ave. to the news, you can't seem to ever get away from NYC. Sure it has mroe than twice as many people as the second largest city, but still... The US isn't a county like France or the UK where there's only one major city and that city rightfully takes on an imperial air. Despite that, in the US, NYC has taken on that imperial air only found elsewhere in places like London, Paris, and Tokyo.

Also, during the 90's with the tech boom, people couldn't stop talking about San Francisco. That seems to have died down alot since the boom went bust but I think SF is still number 2.

Back during the 80's, I'd say Denver was another city people couldn't stop talking about but that seems to have died down as well.

Anyway, as far as Pittsburgh not getting fairly noticed, I'm not sure that's correct. Let's face it, Pgh is only the 21st largest metro in the country (accoridng to the 2004 census estimate). That puts it around the same rank as Cleveland, St. Louis, Baltimore, Denver, Portland, and Cincinatti. Asides from Denver, who really talks about any of these places? If anything, Pgh probably gets noticed more so than those other places because of its skyline (often featured in maany books and on TV). In fact, jsut a few weeks ago, I was in the flagship Apple store on 5th Ave. in NYC and, to demostrate a computer, they had an image sequence produced by the BBC. Among shots of the Amazon Rainforest, and other wonders, they had several shots of the Golden Triangle (the ONLY city to appear, by the way - and this was a production of the BBC, no less).

All in all, however, you really have to be in the top 15 metro areas to really start to get noticed. Even then, NYC gets the most attention by far with LA coming in second and the other 13, unless they become an "it" city the way San Fran and Miami were at times, pretty much vie for scraps.

People def. talk about Columbus as much as the other "boom" cities. If you look at a population change map, whatever county Columbus is in is the only "blue" county in the state (and it and Butler county are the closest to us).

How is Ohio a swing state if Columbus is the only "blue" county?

Columbus gets noticed???? It is probably the most unnoticed major city in America. If anything, it deserves to get noticed a lot more. Its actually quite a success story, being as it is on the edge of the rust belt and yet having a booming economy, a highly educated populace, and HQ to many successful companies. It is like the Seattle of the Midwest in some respects. However, people rarely talk about it outside of Ohio and you notice that everyone always has to say "Columbus, Ohio" as if Columbus, Georgia can give it much competition. Also, the lack of any professional sports team also causes it to go unnoticed. I get the sense that the people there actually like it that way.

With all due respect, people also say Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine.

I do think that NYC gets a little too much attention, but I love the city and it is our great large city and will always be that city.

Columbus is barely a blue county if it is at all - I don't know how it went in 04 but in 00 it was as evenly split as a county can be (I think tha Gore received a few thousand more votes). Cincy is clearly red and Northest Ohio is cleary blue (from Steubenville up to Cleveland).

It's too small to be a Seattle and despite how "hot" its growth seems, it's population growth is actually "average."

Columbus does need to do something to give itself some identity though.

I would agree that Charlotte is on the radar in Pit because of USEless Air and the banking industry. Its bound to continue to grow by leaps - being the largest metro between Atlanta and DC, shares decent weather of Atlanta and momentum, but it doesn't offer much of the character than cities that have been decent for decades have.

USAirways just took over America West. Isn't the title of "main hub" going to be transfered to Phoenix at some point? I know that a huge percentage of their operations currently run out of PHX.

ok back on topic, I'm so so tired of hearing about a few cities, although I may be throwing myself to the sacrificial gods by saying it.

But I'll second you a Charlotte,

and toss in an

Atlanta

and Houston

and raise you a

Minneapolis

I see you have Phoenix on a list. I think Phoenix is one of the lesser known cities. Especially when you consider the size of it. But I think the American media has all but passed over it. In TV, Screen, and just everyday news. It has a good economy and is the fastest growing city in the country. But it's got leap years to go before it's competitive, or comparable to cities and metro areas of like size.

What are the cities I'm tired of eharing about? Well I'd say NYC comes in as number 1. From the media, to TV shows, to movies to Madison Ave. to the news, you can't seem to ever get away from NYC. Sure it has mroe than twice as many people as the second largest city, but still... The US isn't a county like France or the UK where there's only one major city and that city rightfully takes on an imperial air. Despite that, in the US, NYC has taken on that imperial air only found elsewhere in places like London, Paris, and Tokyo.

Also, during the 90's with the tech boom, people couldn't stop talking about San Francisco. That seems to have died down alot since the boom went bust but I think SF is still number 2.

That Imperial air - that's what we all want!

I know folks who live in or have lived in NYC, SF, Tokyo and Paris, and boy do I envy the variety of life they could take for granted. I don't envy the cost of living in those places, but pretty much everything else...yeah. Still, I would give up a lot to have that level of culture and diversity booming in the Triangle or Charlotte.

The NC Triangle is one of those boomtown areas, but I know a lot of folks from here who have run off to NYC and SF - generally, precisely the kind of creative and entreprenurial, energetic people that we like to keep at home (traitors!!!).

Atlanta is the hot city of one decade, and then Miami, or Denver, or SF. 5 or 10 years, it'll be someone else. We're all fighting over the same pot.

USAirways just took over America West. Isn't the title of "main hub" going to be transfered to Phoenix at some point? I know that a huge percentage of their operations currently run out of PHX.

Actually America West took over US Airways and then changed its name to US Airways.

AS for PHX becoming the major hub for US Airways, I doubt it. The majority of the population of the US lives east of the Mississippi and that's where most of US Airways' flights are (even after the merger). Charlotte and Philadelphia will be the main hubs with Phoenix and Las Vegas as secondary hubs. In fact, other than hubs at DFW (AA) and Houston (Continental) I can't think of any major airline that has its primary hub west of the Mississippi.

I see you have Phoenix on a list. I think Phoenix is one of the lesser known cities. Especially when you consider the size of it. But I think the American media has all but passed over it. In TV, Screen, and just everyday news. It has a good economy and is the fastest growing city in the country. But it's got leap years to go before it's competitive, or comparable to cities and metro areas of like size.

Agreed. Phoenix is by far the least noticed of the top 10 largest cities.

AS for PHX becoming the major hub for US Airways, I doubt it. The majority of the population of the US lives east of the Mississippi and that's where most of US Airways' flights are (even after the merger). Charlotte and Philadelphia will be the main hubs with Phoenix and Las Vegas as secondary hubs. In fact, other than hubs at DFW (AA) and Houston (Continental) I can't think of any major airline that has its primary hub west of the Mississippi.

Phoenix and Vegas are both massively busy hubs. PHX for USAirways, and Southwest. PHX was the seventh busiest airport in the countrylast year, 13th busiest in the world., Far busier than either Philly or Charlotte. And because I know for sure that 42 million people a year arent traveling to visit Phoenix. There has to be a very large hub and spoke action going on there. I could be wrong. But also LAX is uber busy. You're right about population centers. But unless I understand what constitutes a hub, there are more than a few out in the west.

Interesting, I had no idea. Thanks for pointing this out. My guess is that PHX gets a lot of traffic because it is unofficially a Southwest Airlines hub (SWA doesn't officially have hubs). Anyway, what I was referring to was how none of the majors has, as their *primary* hub, an airport west of Texas. AA's primary hub is DFW, UA's primary hub is Chicago, Delta's is Atlanta, Continental's is Houston, US Airways' is Charlotte, and Northwest's is Detroit (Southwest not having hubs). Of course there are secondary hubs in the west (for example, United's hubs in Denver and SF), but these are secondary to the primary hubs.

This thread is turning out pretty interesting. Seems there is a lot of disagreement about which cities get a lot of notice. I feel like for a while I was hearing about Phoenix all the time (although that has died down some), but others seem to think it gets little notice.

Obviously it's all a matter of perspective. I personally wasn't talking so much about media attention, but rather what comes up in coversations (both on and off the internet). Columbus comes up a lot because it's fairly close to Pittsburgh. I'm sure it is a very nice city, but I get frustrated when Pittsburghers rave about it, because they live in a very nice city too yet don't seem to know it.

As for NYC, I should have included that on my list! :)

I think thats true Gerbil, Columbus is a nice big college "town" but it can't hold a candle to many aspects that Pittsburgh excels in. To my recollection Columbus couldn't really be compared with a Boston, a waterworld like Seattle, or the romantic fog and hills of San Francisco like Pittsburgh could so easily fit into.

Sure they have the Scioto (nothing like the "wind off the lake" that is the confluence and head of the mighty Ohio or Venice like neighborhoods such as Washington's Landing and Seven Mile Island) and a few steep parts, but nothing cosmopolitan enough and nothing grand enough geographically to easily compare with other desirable cities.

Archived