History Question

Weallneedhistory

A co-worker of mine asked me awhile back about the large home that sits high on a hill, near the corner of Leonard and Plainfield (maybe a block up Plainfield, just N of Leonard), just outside the original City Border. It's on the East side of Plainfield, and it now looks rather ugly painted all one color, but at one time I can imagine it was magnificant.

I had to be honest and say I don't know who built it. I haven't really researched much in that area, and if I came across it before, it certainly didn't stick. So, before I start researching this one in the archives at the GRL, can anyone tell me who built this home? It's nowhere near the Heritage Hill or Plymouth/Robinson Rd. areas of old mansions, which is why it's so out of place.

Thanks!

History rules! :yahoo:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the house above the old funeral bldg now turned into a clinic... I asked my ma (who's a history buff on local stuff) says it was owned by the funeral director. She isn't quite sure, but that was the info passed down. You can walk up the hill via a cement stair case, wonderful views.

I think this is the house above the old funeral bldg now turned into a clinic... I asked my ma (who's a history buff on local stuff) says it was owned by the funeral director. She isn't quite sure, but that was the info passed down. You can walk up the hill via a cement stair case, wonderful views.

Thanks. Business must have been booming for the director.

I heard that this house actually WAS the funeral home at one time, and has also served as a boy's orphanage. It was totally renovated about 12 years ago so I hope it isn't falling in disrepair. Rumour has it you can see Lake Michigan from the top of this house on a clear day, but I have always doubted that claim.

Joe

I lived in that house for a year a couple years ago. It is not falling into disrepair, actually it's far from it. The owners are a very nice couple who occupy a couple floors of the house and they also have it split into 3 other apartments. It's beautiful inside and huge! The house was a funeral home for some time and the rumors of it being haunted are true. I thought I saw a ghost one time, but I was by myself so who knows. One other time there were a group of myself and about 6 friends over watching a movie and all of a sudden every light in the apartment came on at once. Pretty weird stuff. From what the owners told me, my room was the original owner's bedroom and he also was found dead there. So he may still be there.

I lived in that house for a year a couple years ago. It is not falling into disrepair, actually it's far from it. The owners are a very nice couple who occupy a couple floors of the house and they also have it split into 3 other apartments. It's beautiful inside and huge! The house was a funeral home for some time and the rumors of it being haunted are true. I thought I saw a ghost one time, but I was by myself so who knows. One other time there were a group of myself and about 6 friends over watching a movie and all of a sudden every light in the apartment came on at once. Pretty weird stuff. From what the owners told me, my room was the original owner's bedroom and he also was found dead there. So he may still be there.

Creepy stuff about the ghosties! How were the city views?

The Maurice Shanahan House? Hmmm, thanks, I'll look into that. And that's real cool about the Ghost stuff...of course, you would think any home that was a funeral home and orphange would have great stories.

I would like to know about that myth of seeing Lake Michigan on a clear day as well.

Thanks for all the info gentlefolk. :thumbsup:

Creepy stuff about the ghosties! How were the city views?

The views were great! I used to have a bunch of pictures of the city and sunsets from the house but I'm not sure I have them anymore. If I can find them I'll post them up. I dont' know about being able to see Lake Michigan though. I lived on the 2nd floor and only went to the 3rd floor apt. a couple times so I have no idea if the myth is true or not. You definately couldn't see it from my windows.

I was told that the reason St. Alphonsus Church was built facing Carrier St (north) in lieu of Leonard St (south) was because the person who built that house was a huge contributor to the building of the church.

I had also heard that the owner of the house had a falling out with the church, and then re-oriented the house so the front would no longer face the church. Of course this is just hearsay; I don't even remember who told me that story.

Although I love electricity as much as everyone else, I hate it when electrical lines spoil a good view (along with billboards, but thats another subject). Still, what a view from that place.

Where did ya get the shot from destijl?

That a photo by Civitas from Belknap Hill.

That a photo by Civitas from Belknap Hill.

Actually it was taken from the Cygnus lounge on top the of Amway Grand Hotel.

I had also heard that the owner of the house had a falling out with the church, and then re-oriented the house so the front would no longer face the church. Of course this is just hearsay; I don't even remember who told me that story.

Hearsay or Heresy? :D

Archived