ACC & Hockey

Durhamite

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see that. Hockey is typically split up differently than traditional leagues. The Big Ten for instance has teams that are in another conference for hockey if I'm not mistaken.

This is correct.

Hockey is one (maybe only) sport that is primarily in its own leagues.

There are currently 6 NCAA D-I hockey Divisions, the vast majority of the teams come from smaller schools. There are only 5 or 6 'Majors', mostly from Big Ten. (Ivy League is well represented in ECAC).

I went to a smaller NCAA DI school, I'm a fan. The NHL would be smart in pushing more colleges to play. I know a lot of schools have rec leagues, not sure who or how many though.

For Teams and standings: http://www.uscho.com/standings/?type=d1

I just found this: http://www.acchockey.com/

I think that Lacrosse will become much more popular in colleges before hockey. But it would be nice to see any sport grow. unfortunately, due to Title IX, many schools cannot add ice hockey. It's a shame, but it's also what destroyed college wrestling in the 70's.

I think that the sheer costs of fielding a hockey team are probably the biggest factors. Like football, the equipment is really expensive. Facilities to grow ice in the South are also quite costly. I don't see it ever happening.

What I can see, though, is something like indoor inline roller hockey that could be played in an arena, and has walls. Of course, they still need equipment, but facilities aren't such a big deal. I'm kind of surprised that indoor soccer hasn't really picked up.

Again, it goes back to Title IX. If they put in Ice Hockey, they'd have to add a womens sport too. Lacrosse is both a DI men's and womens team. I would love to see more hockey teams, but the interest just isn't there for a massive expansion (that would justify the costs).

You folks should read my earlier post.

I. Duke has a hockey team, but its more of an intramural sport. Theres a link above.

II. Title 9 wouldn't be concern, as a womens team could be added as well.

III. Hockey is probably the most expensive sport, especially down here where ice is more expensive to create. This would most likely be the limiting factor.

IV. Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport (or it was). I'm sure we'll see this way before we see hockey.

I wish I had the link from the N&O, but did you guys know that the RDU area is second in the nation for ice rinks per captia. It even beats out Denver. Buffalo was number 1. We also as an area saw the highest increase in the nation in the past five years for women/girl hockey leagues and second or third in the nation for men/boy hockey leagues.

It was a Saturday article back in the end of May or beginning of JUne. I can't find it anymore. If you find it feel free to post it.

Archived