Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sonagi

Winchester?

8 posts in this topic

I've just accepted a job offer and will be moving to Winchester from the midwest. I like the location, within driving distance of DC and close to the Shenandoah Valley. What are the people like? Is it really conservative? Any stores in town sell organic produce and ethnic ingredients? I know the area is agricultural, so I'd guess there's a local farmers' market.

It used to be rather conservative and rural, but the area is starting to become more suburban because there are a lot of people communting to DC from there.

Winchester is a beautiful area. Not only is it close to the Shenandoah Valley, it is IN the Shenandoah Valley! :)

The natural beauty of that area is amazing. Winchester has a cute little village downtown, and as you mentioned, DC is within reach. Some people from Winc commute to northern VA but I think NOVA/DC would be much better as a weekend trip.

Winchester (& the rest of the Valley) is a conservative area. They love them some Jesus out there. You will find farmers markets in Wichester and in some nearby hamlets. Organic produce is around but harder to find. There isn't much "ethnic" anything. The Valley isn't the most diverse place.

I lived in Harrisonburg (60 miles south in the Valley) for four years. The Valley is a charming place and offers natural beauty and lots of outdoor activities. If you like the small town/rural lifestyle it's a great place to be.

Winchester has a strong central PA feel, it hardly looks like Virginia within the independant city limits. I have some photos of Winchester which ill upload some of the downtown soon.

Winchester has a strong central PA feel, it hardly looks like Virginia within the independant city limits. I have some photos of Winchester which ill upload some of the downtown soon.

Were still waiting! Slow computer? :lol:

Were still waiting! Slow computer? :lol:

Nah, its more like i have a life and ill get to the photos when the time comes. :P

I been out that way a couple of times... yeah, they have a lot of apples. lol