roll call

MJLO

Ok AZ forumers, let's do a little head count, and get to know each other.

My name is Matt, I am (obviously) from Michigan. I was born in Detroit, went to college in Grand Rapids. Now I call the East Valley home. I've been obsessed with cities my whole life, numbers and statistics too. I'm your classic nerd. Since I've moved to AZ I've started to learn alot about Phoenix and Arizona in general. I'm getting pretty happy to call it home. Don't stiff me on this one guys, I'd love to know who i'm talking to.

Hey Inkdaub, I have no idea where you live now, but isnt your family from AZ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Colin. I'm 25, originally from New Orleans (specifically Metairie), but I've moved around a lot. Went to college in Houston and have a BBA in Management. No wife, no kids, no pets, no roommate.

I got into maps when I was about 7 and started writing on my parents' road atlas until they finally bought me my own. I then really got into freeway design and sealed the whole road geek thing.

The urban design interest came when I moved to Singapore in high school and was introduced to the New Town concept and what "urban" really meant. We moved to Shanghai shortly after, and that also had a dramatic effect and how I now view the "city" concept.

I got sick of Houston in 2003 and came west, specifically to Tucson. I had come here for the first time in 2000 with a friend to see a concert in Bisbee and really enjoyed it. I wanted a mid-sized city with lots of hiking opportunities, a university and a good bar scene. Tucson always seemed like the best choice. I also like the desert/mountains thing and the snow availability in the winter.

Colin my friend we have alot in common, I'm also 25 I have a BBA in Finance, with an emphasis in accounting. Ironically, I work in management. I have no wife no kids no pets as well. Although I'm more interested in the statistical side of things vs the planning. But being on here has made me learn so much.

The city you describe, sounds an awful lot like where I came from. Nightlife, Universities, hehe SNOW, midsize. Kinda makes me really want to get down to Tucson. I see you have taken a journey north to the small towns of WY and MT. You should check out the cities of the north central and north east states too my friend. If you can handle 4 seasons you might just fall in love!

My name is Joel- I'm 29 (ouch)

My interest in Urbanism/ City Planning was pretty organic-

I lived in a loft Downtown 2 years ago until last year- I loved Downtown so much I started learning of all the projects in town/ coming- yada yada... SInce then I scour the papers every day to learn of development. Now I live in The Vale in Tempe- love it here too. Next I move to Camelview in Old Town... So I am living the urban lifestyle!

Grew up here, lived in Phx all my life- (by choice though) My family lives here too (brother sis, Mom and Dad)

I would like to move to San Diego in a few years- I don't get sick there- I love the weather and my Grandparents live there...

I have a website about a lot of the development you guys speak of....

That's about it-

I know some of you are in Tucson- but if you all ever want to arrange a meet I am in...

Joel

It's certainly interesting that we're all in our 20's. So goes the Internet culture though, I guess.

I've never really been to the Midwest. I'm going to Chicago at some point. Maybe Labor Day.

I have no interest in moving there though. I like the deserts and mountains too much and don't like living in the snow. I also like the isolation of the West and can't stand mosquitos.

Don't move there, you probabally wouldn't enjoy the mentality being from the south. Me personally I hate the baroness of the desert. Chicago is definately a must go for any American. In my opinion Detroit is also a must, especially if you love an urban feel, and architechture. Although I wouldn't recomend it if your a first timer, go with someone who knows. From Chicago though, your within a couple of hours from Madison, Grand Rapids and Ft Wayne. All pretty interesting . Me personally I can't help it, I love the lush vegitation, and abundant water that comes from the midwest. Also hehehe, diversity in weather!

Joel, does the dust make you sick? When I first moved here I had a terrible time with my alergies, and asthma. But since then things have gotten alot better for me. I also have been to your website, it's very well done. I have to say between you and Colin I'm really greatful to have you guys here, I'm full of hot air, and can never really find anything substantial as of yet. So you guys are great resources for conversations about pretty much anything. I would also be open for a meetup down the road.

Here's a question guys, what is your least favorite thing about living in Arizona?

uhh...i'm 32... L...ol?

from alabama, history B.A., recent dropout of the landscape architecture grad program at auburn university so that i can come to the desert and study the same thing in the environment that got me interested in the field in the first place. been a tech writer, newspaper reporter (who-hoo), random tech flunkie, former stay-at-home dad (son, currently 12). i like to read (everyone says that); am a complete eurotrash child of the 80s (go don johnson!) and am a refugee from conservative religious upbringing, which i in no way resent.

all beauty-pageant stuff, i know.

travelled a lot; mostly in the U.S. west, east coast, canada & deep south. nothing anyone else hasn't done (except for everyone in my immediate family, who finds fascinations with other parts of the world odd and frivolous). i love demographics, share others' fascination with maps and why people live where they live and why they make the places they live become what they are (for better or worse). not nearly so well-versed in the nuts & bolts of development and related political goings-on as some of you other guys (especially in AZ, as of yet), but love to try to figure out the culture/vibe/feel of cities & smaller settled places.

...wow! i just bored myself!

nice to 'meet' you guys formally!

thanks for the welcome...

sorry i forgot to mention it - my name's ben. now that i might be positvely IDd, i need to watch what i say - lest i seem undesirable to some future employer type who wanders through here. i'm paranoid like that.

what kind of sick is the dust making you? since i got here, my throat has been hurting so badly (not in a cough sort of way; in a swollen neck glands / sore neck sort of way) that i had been wondering if i've finally begun to cash out my tobacco death certificate, but i'm beginning to suspect it's the dust / allergens. i keep hearing stories about it here - i never had before i moved. what are the symptoms? am i dying, doctors?

Thanks for liking my site MJLO!

Colin- I have asthma and yes the pollution bothers me but like you I think I just got used to it- at any rate it is my top reason why I'd like to move to San Diego when I can afford it!

MJLO- I have read your posts and you are exactly what this board needs- and I would never say you lack much on the knowledge part- I've just been doing what you're doing now for about 6 months longer-

I still get jealous of some of the smart guys on other boards- envious I should say...

Least favorite thing about AZ?

Heat obviously, lack of shade, prior urban planning/ height Downtown, suburbs...

Favorite thing: Little cool restaurants (non-chain), Scottsdale club scene, watching our revitalization areas boom.... Old Twon, The fact we are 5 hours away from San Diego, L.A. (almost), Vegas and Rocky Point.

I am a Phx lover but I never care when people have issues with the city- just have a problem when people live here and completely bash the city- (leave)...

Thank you for your kind words sir. It's not that I neccesarily think I lack knowlege. My brain is full of thousands of useless facts that noone generally cares about. It's more that since i've been out here, i'm still learning about the different developers and city by city politics. So generally I'm just B-Sing my way thru my posts to try and create conversation. Whereas in Grand Rapids, where I am no longer. I know eight different ways to everywhere. How every city works, and the who's who list of developers and so on. It's just a matter of time. I hate waiting! Oh yeah, and I think a meetup sometime down the road would be great.

MJLO-

Those same "insticts" you learned in Grand Rapids-

will speed your knowledge/ mastery of Phoenix-

Once you master one city the rest are easier to conquer...

You have actually learned rather quickly since you've started posting here-

It amazes me- it's exciting to see you are passionate about learning Phoenix-

I'm glad I can be of help.

I do hope to meet all of you guys- There is another forum I am a part of-

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

It is a great forum-

Lots of loyal Phoenicians!! Charting Phoenix's progression...

I got to meet some of these guys and it is nice to meet with "birds of a feather"...

Anyways- I like the recent momentum in this forum- so keep up the good work MJLO!

Yeah, don't worry about BS-ing.

I was the same way when I first moved here, because I used to know every little part of Houston, especially Downtown, and was that guy who people would call just for directions to somewhere.

It probably took a little under 2 years for that to happen here, but, then again, Tucson's much smaller than both Houston and Phoenix, and is easier to get to know, I think.

Yeah but Colin dude, you are constantly on the move! I say a word and boom you have answers, and/ or pictures. Me mostly I just see phoenix thru the eyes of Sky Harbor since i'm there 60 hours a week. I have to tell you I miss that about home. It didn't matter where someone was in MI they called me. I know everything about that state. I'll get that way here. I think AZ's going to be easier than Michigan, because even though there's alot more land, there's alot less people, alot less developement to learn.

I guess I could post here since I also like to keep up with things over here. I live in Fayetteville, Ark. Although my state's official abbreviation of AR seems to get confused for Arizona all the time. I have family in New Mexico and I go out and visit 2-3 times a year. I haven't been to central or southern AZ yet but I have seen parts of northern AZ. I hope to eventually have a chance to see some other areas of the state.

well it's nice to hear about you Mith, what's your name?

Oops, guess I didn't mention that did I. It's Rod. Mith is an old nickname that I've had for quite a while. And despite what some people that know me think. The nickname doesn't have anything to do with the Mythbusters. Although I do apparently look quite a bit like one of them. By the way MJLO I've been meaning to ask you about your avatar. What is it? It's a bit too small for me to figure out who that's supposed to be.

yes, my old avatar is The symbol for the University of Michigan.

GO BLUE!!!!

However, my new avatar, is of this great book I found from back in the 80's. I"ve been meaning to post a bigger version. It's the cover of a book called. "Being your best, Tina Yothers guide for girls!" One of the most inspirational books i've ever seen.

Tina says "always take advice from childhood hasbeens from the 80's"

Tina Yothers has truly led a life to be admired. She should be revered as a hero to all for groundbreaking performances in such films as "Spunk: The Tonya Harding Story" and... Well, we all know what she's done, I'm sure.

Bravo, Ms. Yothers!

yes, my old avatar is The symbol for the University of Michigan.

GO BLUE!!!!

However, my new avatar, is of this great book I found from back in the 80's. I"ve been meaning to post a bigger version. It's the cover of a book called. "Being your best, Tina Yothers guide for girls!" One of the most inspirational books i've ever seen.

Tina says "always take advice from childhood hasbeens from the 80's"

Oh okay I was trying to figure out what that pic had to do with Michigan. :lol:

Archived