Tempe development

loftguy

Well I don't think it's trump, he pretty much gave us the finger when he left. Besides, a trump buildings hallmark is height. You can't get the kind of hieght he likes in Tempe. It's a shame though, that Phoenix thumbed it's nose at him. That could have been a real great addition. I wouldn't have a guess on the hotel brand. But it'd be cool to see the building top 350ft.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so what's the story on trump and phoenix? did he express interest in developing something there at one time?

Yes- He expressed interest mainly in The Biltmore area- although he also bid or almost bid on land in Tempe and in Downtown Phx. He was partnered with the Bayrock Group on a pretty cool development to come near 24th and Camelback-

That is, until the Biltmore area beotch SLAPPED HIS ASS!

Sad- I would have liked Trumps name in this city...

Bayrock group is still planning to proceed with a toned down version of the original.

I would venture to say that Downtown/ Midtown has the most action going on right now- although it covers such a huge area....

As for high-rises (or at least Phx's version of high-rise)- Tempe takes the cake.

Old Town has a bunch of projects in the works too- all clustered around Scottsdale and Camelback area....

Tempe and Phoenix only argue about who appearingly gets favorable treatment from the FAA....

("You let Phoenix build .......... why are you giving us crap about ........?")

-Usually proximity to airport.

As for the hotel chain? hmmmmmmmmm.... Waldorf maybe?

Sad- I would have liked Trumps name in this city...

Agreed! That would have really put PHX on the map and given the Valley another tourist attraction. Maybe something, dare I say, iconic...

His show is still on TV, right? As long as he keeps himself in the public eye, anything with his name will bring in the crowds.

Per the hotel, I would think bigger chain...something Starwood.

Place your bets!

convulso - Trump was really keen on bringing his chain to Phoenix. At first it was too tall, I forget how high at like 30 stories or something in the Biltmore area (but all the old people complained) and he KINDLY made multipl (like 3 or 4) height cuttings/slashings cuz he saw the Biltmore area as the prime area (top spot in the country at that time) for a new Trump hotel.

In the end it was like 145 feet or something and 16 or 17 stories and it looked quite nice and Phoenix approved despite public disapproval. Trump was pretty much set on laying down but then more old people rallied and put ads in major newspapers around the country (NYT, Chicago, LAT) and got 10,000 signatures to overule the Phoenix decision. Trump basically abandoned the project saying hes never met this much opposition and didn'tt want to deal with us. Gave us the finger and scrapped his idea.

But I think Trump could have a hotel in Tempe, the new Centerpoint towers are like 30 some stories.

Dont think a Waldorf, the Arizona Biltmore Hotel is already part of the Waldorf-Astoria Collection, one of 4 hotels (one in LA, one in Hawaii, the arizona one and the original in NYC)

Well, some prominent luxury hotels already in the Phoenix area,

Ritz-Carlton (2, Phoenix, Paradise Valley)

Fairmont (1, Fairmont Scottsdale Princess)

Four Seasons (1, Four Seasons at Troon North)

Waldorf-Astoria (1, The Arizona Biltmore)

Wyndham Hotels (3, The Boulders Resort, Wyndham Downtown, and one I forget where)

Solis Hotel (1, Montelucia Resort in PV)

The Luxury Collection (1, The Phoenician)

JW Marriott (2, Camelback Inn, Desert Ridge)

W Hotel (2, Scottsdale and Phoenix)

Morgan Hotels (1, Mondrian Scottsdale, formerly the James)

Kimpton Hotels (1, Caleo)

some not in the region:

Hilton's Concord Luxury Brand

Starwood's St. Regis

Mandarin Oriental

Trump Hotels Group

(Did I miss any?)

I wish a Trump...he was looking at a Tempe property, maybe it went through? If not I think probably a Concord as its a more common luxury brand.

wow - i had no idea. sounds pretty bitter. seems like he wouldn't want a building unless it had height. that's the pattern in most of his downtown developments. i just can't figure out why phoenix, of all places, gave him static. seems like the demo there would have something in common with many of the citites he's already put successful development into.

Yep. sad isn't it? 16/17 stories is already ridiculously small for a Trump building and he acknowledged that, saying he would build up other amenities. But people just werent for it. There was an article in the AZ Republic a while back where a writer wrote something to this extent: "Phoenix becoming urban? Big Mistake" basically promoting a rural small town, sprawling suburb feel.

THe sad thing is after Trump left, the city and the residents basically reached and agreement that would have allowed him to build his last proposed height. Now the Biltmore Fashion Park is building 2 tower condos that Im pretty sure are now approved to be around 160 feet.

^^I dont understand what is wrong gwith people in Phoenix. Opposed to little height? The Scottsdale Waterfront towers are the tallest in Scottsdale at only 13 stores. One Scottsdale wants to build and urban shopping destination with some 17 story tall office/residential buildings and people are opposed (claiming it blocks their view). View of what? Honestly, one or 2 buildings is not going to oblock your entire skyline. Its not like New York where the shortest skyscraper is 40 stories. A 16 story building? give me a break

I would say a Starwood brand hotel would be perfect for Tempe. A Westin would be a nice addition, however Starwood is creating a new hotel that will be in between a W hotel and Westin. The new hotel is called ALoft, check out the link, it seems like a very cool concept.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/abou...e38&back=-1

this hotel is just a proposal, there is nothing concrete on it yet is there? If it's going in Hayden Ferry I would assume that it's going to have the same kind of style that the rest of those hotels have.

Tempe lands internationally renowned luxury hotel!

European hotel chain Le Meridien is headed to Hayden Ferry Lakeside in Tempe with an expected check-in date of November 2008.

Tuesday's announcement, was made in conjunction with parent company Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.

Le Meridien Senior Vice President Eva Ziegler said the hotel will be chic, subtle, sophisticated, understated and elegant. "We're about the forward-looking, contemporary style of Europe/France," Ziegler said.

The 183-room, 14-story hotel will include 44 residential units on top of the property with access to Le Meridien amenities.

A joint venture between Valhalla Development Corp., Sierra Hospitality and Adobe Development Partners, the hotel will be operated by APMC. Bent Severin Design, which has designed Westin Tokyo, Sheraton Bahrain and Sherton Warsaw, will join with hotel architects Callison Group of Seattle on the project.

Ziegler said "passion points" for Le Meridien developments are fashion, art, architecture and food. The chain strives for quality and professionalism, he said. "We want to grow our footprint ... in the North American market. We desire the creative guest. The open-minded, forward-looking person who enjoys life."

SunCor Development Co. Hayden Ferry Lakeside is a $160 million, 17-acre, 1.95 million-square-foot master-planned, mixed-use project on the south shore of Tempe Town Lake.

Currently, an eight-story, 209,000-square-foot Class A office building anchored by Smith Barney, and the eight-story, 40-unit condominium Edgewater at Hayden Ferry Lakeside are up and in use. Another office building and the Bridgeview condo project are under way. Two additional condo towers, designed to give the illusion of cruise ships, are planned.

SunCor President and Chief Executive Steven A. Betts said a hotel has been planned at the site from the beginning, pointing out its proximity to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, freeways and various attractions. "We really are the geographic center of the Valley."

The hotel, he said, "is giving Hayden Ferry an international flair." The city's desire for a world-class hotel has long been known. Hayden Ferry received about two dozen, unsolicited hotel proposals. "They were nice, but not quite nice enough ... they didn't have the international flavor and quality we wanted," Betts said.

Earnest money, agreements with the hotel franchise, the developer, management and proper entitlements were in place before the announcement was made Tuesday, said Margaret E. Kirch, SunCor executive vice president for commercial development.

Arizona Office of Tourism Director Margie Emmermann said the hotel fits the state's new brand image: "Inspiring unforgettable Southwest moments."

Le Meridien, she said, allows the state to better compete not only within in the United States, but in the international marketplace. "It gives us enhanced bragging rights," she said. "Visitors want new experiences and great experiences."

Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman, who returned to Tempe Aug. 6 after a trip to Russia, called the hotel a "global hitter," adding it marks Tempe and the region a "truly cosmopolitan and global player."

Tempe Councilman Mark Mitchell said the hotel "is a vital component to bringing people to Tempe who might not come otherwise."

Mitchell said Tempe has embraced the new and improved Phoenix Convention Center and sees itself as a regional partner in convention business. "We complement each other. They can do breakout sessions here and vice versa."

Ziegler said she was especially excited by the Tempe site because it is not a conversion and offers a chance for the developer and Le Meridien to define a "flagship" together.

Le Meridien was founded by Air France in 1972 and was acquired by Starwood last November. Starwood also owns The Phoencian, Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa and the soon-to-open W Scottsdale and W Phoenix. Le Meridien has more than 120 properties in 52 countries. Other U.S. hotel locations include Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and New York.

Wow I forgot about Le Meridien, but I didn't think they would expand to Tempe...of all places in the US. THey have locations in Palm Springs, Beverly Hills, Sunny Isles Florida, San Francisco, New York and plans another in Chicago. This is really huge as this brand is known for luxury throughout Europe.

Wait, who said Starwood?? Hmm....

Oh yeah, it was me! Pay up!

Yeah, Le Meridien's pretty swanky for Tempe. I think the only one I've been into was the one in Singapore, or maybe it was the Shanghai one.

It'll certainly be a nice addition, though.

wow outstanding.

they haven't already broken ground for it have they? Because there is definately a tower crane up that stands over a whole bunch of dirt right now in the Hayden Ferry area. Is that another one of their condo buildings? Or is that the hotel?

wow outstanding.

they haven't already broken ground for it have they? Because there is definately a tower crane up that stands over a whole bunch of dirt right now in the Hayden Ferry area. Is that another one of their condo buildings? Or is that the hotel?

The crane you see is for the second condo tower. There is going to be another 2 condo towers to the left of the one being built if you are looking at the site from 202.

The hotel I believe is going to be tucked in somewhere between the 1st tower built (SmithBarney) and the 1st condo tower, thats what it looks like from the drawings on suncors web site.

I can't imagine that anyone would let them. Tempes a pretty progressive town. With that comes historic preservation. If they wanted to get rid of it entirely. It may not be worth the fight. I am more than confident they will incorporate the mill into whatever plans they have.

Engineering wise, would it even be pheasable to turn those silos into something that would people friendly. Like lofts or something? Because that would be cool as hell.

That's exactly what they plan to do...

Other silo's have been transitioned into lofts- in other parts of the world.....

I'm not exactly sure how- but this would be a landmark project!

The city just wants it to be a happening part of Mill Ave again and not a continuing eye-sore.

Avenue Communities seems to have the $$ it would take to pull this off.

Historic yes- preserved -yes- also sits on an ancient Indian burial ground!

I imagine other than windows/ doors/ path ways being punched in- not too much can happen to the exterior...

I hope not at least- I'd leave it the same- but make the insides nice and Modern....

I bet they'll be muy expensivo! -But damn cool!!!!

Not doubting you, of course, but do you have specifics on these other silo conversions?

Living in a silo would be cool. Do they just throw in vertical and horizontal support beams, flooring and then create a sort of donut living space?

Not doubting you, of course, but do you have specifics on these other silo conversions?

Living in a silo would be cool. Do they just throw in vertical and horizontal support beams, flooring and then create a sort of donut living space?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/a...6t-millZ10.html

Read this- it did not happen of course- despite my heavy-duty praying each night!

-Article speaks of Constellation Group doing this before in Australia...

I imagine you are correct- but also accounting for windows that need to be punched out....

Did anyone hear about the town meeting in Tempe, where they capped the height on a few of the towers going up downtown? They want the developers to take off a few feet. Apparently city commisioners are worrying that the city is becoming to exclusive. That the mom and pop shops that make mill ave successful will start going away. My question is, how does the height of a building affect the exclusivity of downtown Tempe.

Did anyone hear about the town meeting in Tempe, where they capped the height on a few of the towers going up downtown? They want the developers to take off a few feet. Apparently city commisioners are worrying that the city is becoming to exclusive. That the mom and pop shops that make mill ave successful will start going away. My question is, how does the height of a building affect the exclusivity of downtown Tempe.

and a good question it is. the greater the density, the greater the square footage in those buildings, and the likelier (a word?) it is that prices will not get out of hand. height equals available floor space. phoenix needs this. extra floors means the price of leases will be kept in check. i don't know why there would be opposition to this in phoenix. it's not philadelphia circa 1965, when height was viewed as a threat to a historic skyline. i know of no other logical rationale. of course, i'm drunk. so maybe i will think of one (or two) on the morrow.

p.s. - and thanks for keeping me in line on the flag post. you know you're posting too much when you forget what the topic is. sorry for my out-of-place rants.

Archived