Tempe development

loftguy

we were up and down mill ave. this past weekend; it was the first time i had seen the mill structure since hearing about the development plans last year. i was surprised at how close to everything else it is - i always assumed it was further out from the other businesses (i guess i thought it was across town lake.) it's a challenging development to say the least, but if it can be done at all, it will be be interesting at worst...but possibly very cool as well. the fact that they're focusing on new construction and saving the actual development of the silos until the first stages are completed testifies to the challenges of converting a dedicated-use facility to mixed uses for which it was never intended. but that's part of the appeal.

wonder what they have in mind with painting the silos?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the fact that they're focusing on new construction and saving the actual development of the silos until the first stages are completed testifies to the challenges of converting a dedicated-use facility to mixed uses for which it was never intended

Tempe pushing to accelerate Broadway curve widening plan.

What they are calling for is an old style of freeway used in traffic supercenters like Detroit and Chicago. Express and local lanes. Which is a real good Idea it could help to greatly organize traffic. The problem on the Broadway curve is US-60 feeds on to it, and if the 60 is not the busiest freeway in the the valley it is damn near close. 300,000 cars a day travel the broadway curve. With that volume, i'm suprised it doesn't back up more!

• 2 weeks later...

As part of a long term plan with the city of Tempe, USAirways is building a building next door to it's Tempe headquarters, the buildings front face will be on Mill. It will have retail on the ground floor, and the eight stories above it will have offices for an unnamed tennant.

US Airways announced plans for a building on 3.5 acres of its Mill Avenue headquarters campus that have been slated for development for decades.

The grassy expanse at Mill Avenue and Third Street will be replaced by an eight-story building with retail on the bottom and office space on the upper floors.

• 1 month later...

China had physically-separated bike lanes (for the most part). Traffic making right turns always caused problems as they would be desperate to pull out or just not see somebody coming.

I agree though that they need to rethink the way bike lanes are done in this state.

• 3 months later...

It's likely curtains for Mill theater

No, not the historic Valley Art Theater, but the Harkins Centerpoint on the northwest corner of Mill & University behind PF Chang's. There are also plans to demolish the Coffee Plantation.

The Centerpoint Condominiums currently being built in the same area sounded like a great project with a great location, but not if they're going to tear down some of the great reasons to live there.

Yeah, that's a big attraction for that area and it would hurt Downtown Tempe as a whole if it went away. Seems to be occurring with a lot of multi-plexes nationwide.

So they want to put something in even more snobby than a Coffee Plantation: upscale hotel and health club. What's the deal there?

Our plans, I think, are reflective of the evolution of the market and evolution of the synergies that are occurring in downtown Tempe.

If you look at mill ave from a Form based code outlook, that area needs a little more density. But all of that area is going to high density/mix use. I really like the work DMB is doing and think that they are looking at profiting in the mill ave urban setting by going up instead of keeping the status quo. The smart thing the city of tempe has done is acting to what is going on to there downtown. They have been working with Projects for Public Spaces to create, and seek out connectivity/open space opportunities and so forth. So, the city is right on track with what is going on downtown. I also rather have this density than more single family homes built out in Pinal county to commute to tempe or phx to work.

• 1 month later...

It would be, it would add to the touristy-ness that already exists along mill. Tempe really is the place to be though. Density downtown is exploding, it seems as if it's going to turn into one of those trendy hotspots, not only in AZ but across the country.

That's really cool. I think they only have those ASU shuttle routes right now, right?

I don't know how I feel about individual municipalities running their own transit systems. The inter-modal stuff is kind of annoying as well. Like traveling around Chicago, where METRA doesn't always connect to the El or CTA bus routes, and you can't use the same pass on them nor on Pace out in the suburbs.

Or in the Bay Area. Don't even get me started on that mess of various agencies.

I'm all about transit districts and collaboration. But whatever gets the job done, I guess. If only Gilbert would start a little bus system, maybe set a precedent. They've got the money for it.

Usability should be more important in planning public transit. Caltrain and BART stations in the bay area don't make it clear which platform you need to be on. And on BART, you not only need to be on the right platform, you still have to make sure you get on the right train if you're going across the bay. Find a platform marquee, you won't find any indication of the destination on the train itself. Don't make the mistake like I did of thinking that if you're on a blue-striped BART train, you're on the "blue" line (Millbrae to Dublin/Pleasanton).

I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, the Valley cities are a ways out from making something like that happen. Phoenix and Tempe are the only two that really seem to work together. Tho it seems like they have a sibling rivalry when it comes to buildings. Scottsdale is to good to be part of any regional council of anything. Mesa's residents fear anything south of Baseline, North of 202 red mountain, west of the 101, and everyones afraid of Apache Junction. You have to take a flight to get to the West Valley. The city of Phoenix occupies the rest, with as much land area as a small state. But each of the cities here, have their own plans, they each try and lure the same developers, and they rarely have any interests that coincide. This area is as fractured as any i've seen. Something that could be mutually beneficial for the entire metro area, would be hard for the municipal gov'ts to recognize. I can't imagine the decades of political torture the people who had the idea for LRT went thru in the first place. How many years of planning did they go thru before they broke ground in the initial line, and how many years away is it before they are planning on even following thru in the West Valley?

Archived