Another Project in the Gulch?

smeagolsfree

Just looking through some of the sites I have not been able to get to for a while and ran across the mention of a new project in the Gulch

From their website:

http://www.nashvillegulch.com/whatsnew/index.html

The last paragraph mentions something that will be announced in the next few months. My question is, Is this a new project we have not heard of or "The Sliver" building where Madam X was?

Opinions and comments?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on the article provides a notion that maybe, just maybe, since the residential components of the overall Gulch project are materializing so successfully, that Marketstreet is lining up tenants for a major non-residential component in its quest to create the neighborhood as envisioned from the beginning. I'm thinking retail services besides dining places. At least that's my hope for the area. There's still OODLES of land there, and I don't think we've seen NUTHIN' yet.

It's nice to hear that Terrazzo is breaking ground within a month. Give me another crane, man.

Who knows how many threads back it was... :ph34r: ...but in case anybody remembers and is interested...

I mentioned that someone directly involved with an investor group told me they were seriously considering putting up another project in the gulch. I wrote that it wasn't my place to say who it was, but that it was for them to announce. But I confirmed that another project was being considered there when someone said they heard one was in the works.

Now that the developers & investors associated with the ICON have publicly said they are planning to announce another project, I wanted to let anyone interested know that these are the people and theirs is the project I was referring to. I don't know any details about it other than it is being advanced by the same folks doing ICON & Bristol on Broadway.

And I have no idea whether this one is the same project as Doorman heard about when he said his sister's architect's mayor's neighbor's massage therapist had seen a rendering. :ph34r: Hopefully so. A 50-70 story "supertower" sounds great to me.

I think Church Street Center was ahead of it's time. It would thrive now with all the downtown residential development. Downtown is missing a large target by not throwing in some retail. How cool would it be if instead of a hotel for the first 10 stories of the Signature, they had a upscale mall like Water Tower Place in Chicago.

I totally agree that downtown is in need of some serious retail but I think a huge interior mall would be missing the point. We want people to walk around outside on the streets, not in some one-stop shop like a suburban galleria.

Who knows how many threads back it was... :ph34r: ...but in case anybody remembers and is interested...

I mentioned that someone directly involved with an investor group told me they were seriously considering putting up another project in the gulch. I wrote that it wasn't my place to say who it was, but that it was for them to announce. But I confirmed that another project was being considered there when someone said they heard one was in the works.

Now that the developers & investors associated with the ICON have publicly said they are planning to announce another project, I wanted to let anyone interested know that these are the people and theirs is the project I was referring to. I don't know any details about it other than it is being advanced by the same folks doing ICON & Bristol on Broadway.

And I have no idea whether this one is the same project as Doorman heard about when he said his sister's architect's mayor's neighbor's massage therapist had seen a rendering. :ph34r: Hopefully so. A 50-70 story "supertower" sounds great to me.

If it's Bristol, the project WILL materialize. Like Dave, I hope it has a huge retail component.

I agree with Nashvillain about the mall. As much as I loved the Water Tower Place, I don't think Nashville could take a mall of that size without it completely wiping out any chances of street level retail. I do think though that Nashville could start to see at least one or two large anchor stores, like Berdorf's, NM, or Bloomingdales, and a few, like no more than 4 or 5, luxury stores, like Gucci and Prada.

As I recall several years back... way back around the time Mercury View was announced, the Urban Ventures Group said that the next big announcement would be retail. Then when the ICON was announced, they made mention of the fact that retail was going to have to wait until the residential and office was established. So they've made it known for a while that they want to put in retail. Maybe they think the time is right with a W hotel the three condo towers the other buildings, WES and the Rhythm Lofts. So how many units would that be in a three block area? 500-600?? Plus hotels.

As I recall several years back... way back around the time Mercury View was announced, the Urban Ventures Group said that the next big announcement would be retail. Then when the ICON was announced, they made mention of the fact that retail was going to have to wait until the residential and office was established. So they've made it known for a while that they want to put in retail. Maybe they think the time is right with a W hotel the three condo towers the other buildings, WES and the Rhythm Lofts. So how many units would that be in a three block area? 500-600?? Plus hotels.

The Icon is 424 units, the Terrazzo is 109 units, and the rest (not counting Rhythm Lofts) probably total another 100 units or so. Just guessing, but I would venture Rhythm Lofts would be at least 100 and WES would also be at least another 100. Total of all these would be over 800 units.

I agree with Nashvillain about the mall. As much as I loved the Water Tower Place, I don't think Nashville could take a mall of that size without it completely wiping out any chances of street level retail. I do think though that Nashville could start to see at least one or two large anchor stores, like Berdorf's, NM, or Bloomingdales, and a few, like no more than 4 or 5, luxury stores, like Gucci and Prada.

I wish I could show you the cover page of the contract drawings for Encore. The rendering shows awnings where the street level businesses would be and they say Gucci and Prada. :D

Archived