Future Retail in Charlotte

monsoon

Future Retail in Charlotte  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of Retail do you Prefer?

• Malls like NorthLake/SouthPark
    • Urban Villages like Phillips Place, Birkdale Village, Baxter Village
    • Unplanned Street Level Retail
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What will be the dominate type of retail in Charlotte for the next 20 years?

• Big Box Retail, Neo-Strip Mall Development (see Promenade at Harris & Tryon)
    • New Urbanist Planned Development
    • Move back into the city via redevelopment and downtown retail
  3. 3. Will another Regional Mall be built in Charlotte in the next 20 years?

• No- Hopefully NorthLake is the last
    • Yes - They are great economic generators and people places

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H&M is looking at Southpark in Charlotte and Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh currently. They will be looking at late 2009 or 2010 openings.

In regard to the IKEA poster previously, it is very hard to develop their site b/c their building is over 350,000 SF. I don't think everyone understands how large that is. You can't just plop that down on a couple of acres in a downtown area. When Atlantic Station was done, it was the largest brownfield site redevelopment in the history of the US, and one of the largest mixed use projects in US history. There were so many dynamics and tax benefits given to IKEA and the developer to do that deal.

In regard to Charlotte development there will be no more traditional "closed in" malls,as they are not cost effective, and are frowned upon by most retailers currently. In addition Northlake Mall opened very slow, and most retailers are performing better in "lifestyle centers" with their sales now and their operating costs are far less than an enclosed mall. Howver there will still be regional Malls. Bridges at Mint Hill will be the next one as it is 1.2 million SF and contains dept. stores. It will be open in 2010.

In regard to other types of Charlotte development there will still be a ton of grocery store growth, as they are following rooftops. Expect speciality grocers to continue to open stores here, and perhaps Whole Foods might actually get in on the act sometime this century.

High end restaurant growth will continue especially in Southpark and Uptown as that is where the tourist/convention dollars as well as the large daytime populations are located.

As far as larger centers go, expect more Target, Kohls, JC Penney anchored centers with junior boxes and shops over the next 5-10 years. Expect Kmart to close stores. Expect a redevelopment of Eastland Mall in probably 5-7 years as it will take that long for the developer to buy back the department store boxes and get control of the property, and get their arms around a quality plan.

Expect a dept. store downtown within the next 5-10 years, as well as more urban downtown retail because of the success of midtown and surrounding projects making that a viable trade area for larger format retailers.

Atlanta's IKEA is more urban than the ones I've seen in Europe. Like the previous poster said, those stores are monstrously huge - over twice the size of the full size Walmart Supercenter. And most of the merchandise is huge - you pretty much have to use a personal vehicle or pay for expensive shipping. IE, they have to provide a LOT of parking. Atlanta's store, which sits on a two story garage, has to use overflow parking lots on Saturdays with traffic cops. That place is insane. (although my kickass dining room chairs came from there. curse their stylish yet affordable offerings!)

There was another article in the O recently about city footdragging on pushing for retail revitalization on the Eastside. Painted a pretty depressing picture. The Walmart planned for the blighted center along Independence is stalled, a leaseholder is not being very cooperative on moving out. The redevelopment plan for Eastland has been nothing but talk talk talk months after the heralded plans were put forth. Corridor enhancement takes time as can be seen with the gradual improvements to parts of Wilkinson and Freedom but I don't blame Eastside residents for being fed up with the lack of any forward movement.

There was another article in the O recently about city footdragging on pushing for retail revitalization on the Eastside. Painted a pretty depressing picture. The Walmart planned for the blighted center along Independence is stalled, a leaseholder is not being very cooperative on moving out. The redevelopment plan for Eastland has been nothing but talk talk talk months after the heralded plans were put forth. Corridor enhancement takes time as can be seen with the gradual improvements to parts of Wilkinson and Freedom but I don't blame Eastside residents for being fed up with the lack of any forward movement.

There is blame to go around for sure and I truly believe that City Council and staff want to improve this area. It just must be galling though for Eastsiders to look at thriving and prosperous South Charlotte and wonder why they always get low priority. The conversion of Independence to Sharon Amity into highspeed traffic has helped to ease congestion. Unfortunately this improvement made retail renewal more difficult. I don't feel safe turning off Indy along that stretch, the movement of cars is almost to a 77 caliber. This atmosphere does not encourage driveby browsing. I think I read that Eastland Mall is owned by at least three different entitites that don't agree with each other or the City on how to move forward. What a mess all around.

I don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but some new (and much needed) retail is about to open up Uptown within the month.

The Meck ABC Board has announced that they are opening the Uptown ABC on Trade Street, directly across from the federal courthouse (in the bldg, next door to Bijoux). If you walk by there are signs in the windows confirming this as well (I had to walk over to check out if the rumours were true - and they were!)

I don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but some new (and much needed) retail is about to open up Uptown within the month.

The Meck ABC Board has announced that they are opening the Uptown ABC on Trade Street, directly across from the federal courthouse (in the bldg, next door to Bijoux). If you walk by there are signs in the windows confirming this as well (I had to walk over to check out if the rumours were true - and they were!)

I have a feeling that this ABC store is not targeted towards people that are driving to get to it. There's one on Graham and one on 3rd for that. But if you think about the amount of people in Avenue, Trademark, Fifth and Poplar, Catalyst, and in Gateway Village that would walk to it, it makes more sense. If you think about it, there are liquor stores on seemingly every street corner of major cities like Chicago, NYC, and Boston -- I'm not really comparing Charlotte to those cities, but if they can support literally hundreds of liquor stores downtown, Charlotte can probably support one.

Archived