Future Retail in Charlotte

monsoon

Future Retail in Charlotte  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of Retail do you Prefer?

• Malls like NorthLake/SouthPark
    • Urban Villages like Phillips Place, Birkdale Village, Baxter Village
    • Unplanned Street Level Retail
    • Other - please explain
  2. 2. What will be the dominate type of retail in Charlotte for the next 20 years?

• Big Box Retail, Neo-Strip Mall Development (see Promenade at Harris & Tryon)
    • New Urbanist Planned Development
    • Move back into the city via redevelopment and downtown retail
  3. 3. Will another Regional Mall be built in Charlotte in the next 20 years?

• No- Hopefully NorthLake is the last
    • Yes - They are great economic generators and people places

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might be wrong about this, but I think ABC stores are supposed to be equipped with armed security at all times. Usually when I go to one there's a cop inside, so even if it's not a rule it's the practice. Perhaps they could just ask the guard to stand at the door, to discourage loiterers.

It's probably just dependent on the location. It's not CMPD's job to stand guard inside of the store or even outside of it for that matter, else the rest of the area wouldn't be patrolled. Perhaps they hired an off duty officer to act as security. I've never noticed any security or police presence in any ABC store I've been in.

CMPD is not a security service, but they will respond when called. I live on the Westside near the new ABC store on Wilkinson next to Walmart. The community was VERY concerned about this same issue. We have more than our fair share of drunks, beggers, homeless..et al. ABC assured the community that they do not tolerate that kind of activity anywhere near their stores. I don't know of any problems or complaints at the new store. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it being an "attractive nuasance." I think the ABC truly wants to be a good neighbor.

I was often approached by beggars at the Morehead/Kings location. While I think it is a legitamate concern, the CMPD will crack down pretty hard on it if residents persistently call.

Does anyone know if ABC stores are included in the "no panhandling zone" list of forbidden places?

Regardless, it is nice to see street retail take-over office space.

• 1 month later...

Charlotte Center City Partners have released a follow up retail report in return to studies that have taken place. A retail vision and strategy has begun and there is some good information in the report, which can be found here. Check out the drawings of the Trade/Tryon vision. Of course they are just one artists interpretation, but they are very enjoyable nonetheless.

That's pretty cool Andy, thanks for posting.

Even though BofA is the number 1 Fossil Fool in the nation, I feel like they are certainly putting some effort into ground level retail, with the rehab of Founders Hall and BofA Plaza at Trade/College. Hopefully this will start a trend with the other establishments uptown. Maybe next they can rehab the back of BofA Plaza next, certainly the front plaza area as well. Very exciting!

Charlotte Center City Partners have released a follow up retail report in return to studies that have taken place. A retail vision and strategy has begun and there is some good information in the report, which can be found here. Check out the drawings of the Trade/Tryon vision. Of course they are just one artists interpretation, but they are very enjoyable nonetheless.

The petition and plans for the ABC store in uptown diaganal from Trademark on Trade that was talked about a few pages back has been withdrawn its petition for the approval to allow the store to be built. The ABC board is looking at an alternative site, now, still within the 277 loop. It appears community concerns led to its decision.

The Meck ABC Board has announced that they are opening the Uptown ABC on Trade Street, directly across from the federal courthouse (in the bldg, next door to Bijoux). If you walk by there are signs in the windows confirming this as well (I had to walk over to check out if the rumours were true - and they were!)

Archived