Riverfront Property Poll

GRDadof3

City Owned Riverfront Property decisions to be made  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which proposal do you think should go on to the RFP process?

• Duane Faust's RiverGrand
    • Barnes/Stevens Riverfront Entertainment District
    • Moch International's Performing Arts Complex
    • All teams should be asked to submit a formal proposal
    • None of them should be asked to submit
    • The land should be taken off the market and we move on
    • Time should be added so that possibly other developers can show interest
    • Other
  2. 2. Should the City wait for a year to make a decision?

• Yes, the process should move slowly and carefully
    • No, time is of the essence and enough time has been spent already
    • Other

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the City does not have enough information to make a final choice. I also think that contract language should be added to any contract that in the event that the property is purchased and the project falls through, the City would re-acquire the property at no cost.

I think that the City does not have enough information to make a final choice. I also think that contract language should be added to any contract that in the event that the property is purchased and the project falls through, the City would re-acquire the property at no cost.

No one's asking them to make a final choice. We're asking them to let folks make a complete proposal.

I think your idea of stiff contract language to protect the city is a good one.

My answers:

1.) Time should be added so that possibly other developers can show interest

2.)Yes, the process should move slowly and carefully.

What is the big rush to get this finished. I still believe Mr. Faust and his group can accept a little longer timeline. I think as GR citizens and taxpayers we should demand more proposals while giving other developers time to weigh in.

My answers:

1) All three should be given time to give full proposals. It was my impression that everyone in the world was given a chance to give a letter of interest, they didn't. Lets take a look at what these 3 folks want to do.

2) Take it slow, do it right.

I voted that all three should submit full proposals. I voted for "other" on the second part, because I agree a little with both. I dont want a big rush, but there also isn't a need to make the process any longer than it needs to be.

I voted that time is of the essence. There is a lot of momentum and enthusiasm for downtown right now, keep it going!!!

Same here. We cant have lulls in the building process, or we get stagnation in construction I always view its better to get it out of the way all at once, then it is to stop, and start over and over again.

I voted for Fausts project because it is definitely the most ambitious. Additionally, he is willing to take a chance on Grand Rapids despite the obsticles and its questionable ROI for him.

I also voted to move faster. They have already had enough time to "do it right" in my opinion, although I am far from a development guru. If they wait too long a possible 2 billion dollar development could turn into something of minor significance and everybody will be dissapointed.

I think nobody wants the mochs to take this project and fausts vision is better than the other one, so get this ball rolling.

I voted for Fausts project because it is definitely the most ambitious. Additionally, he is willing to take a chance on Grand Rapids despite the obsticles and its questionable ROI for him.

I also voted to move faster. They have already had enough time to "do it right" in my opinion, although I am far from a development guru. If they wait too long a possible 2 billion dollar development could turn into something of minor significance and everybody will be dissapointed.

I think nobody wants the mochs to take this project and fausts vision is better than the other one, so get this ball rolling.

Exactly my sentiments...

I just wonder if the longer we wait, perhaps we will miss out on an opportunity.

I voted Other on the last one, I realised that you can't always equate lengthen timelines with quality of process. I'm sure there are enough variables, but if you release the property under conditions the city could be sitting pretty with 35 million in cash. Get it done, so that stuff that is fresh stays fresh. If you have a willing candidate, who is well funded, prepared with company, and can make a ground breaking in a year than capatilize on that.

I voted formal proposals and take it slow. If a developer is looking to GR, we want it to be because GR is the right place, not just because the developer thinks his project can happen quickly. Anything done on this property will permanently alter the face of downtown. If I were on the committee that is reviewing the developer materials, I would definitely not feel comfortable making a decision from these preliminary proposals.

I voted formal proposals and take it slow. If a developer is looking to GR, we want it to be because GR is the right place, not just because the developer thinks his project can happen quickly. Anything done on this property will permanently alter the face of downtown. If I were on the committee that is reviewing the developer materials, I would definitely not feel comfortable making a decision from these preliminary proposals.

With a project of this size, scope, and pricetag, I wouldn't worry about developers making the decision based on the speed it can be done. Any which way it happens, this is going to take a long time to plan and build.

The committee isn't charged with deciding who gets to buy the land... just who gets to go onto the next level and submit detailed proposals.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does this thread keep showing up as a new thread? No new comments but always at the top for me.

Maybe it happens every time someone votes. I notice 2 more votes since I looked at the voting tabulation.

Votes do bump the thread up.

I personally don't prefer it to be done that way, but its not a big deal for me.

Archived