The Oaks at Hayes Barton

ChiefJoJo

Article is here.

Grubb expects next month to finalize the purchase of the 23.5-acre Country Club Homes apartment complex at Fairview and Oberlin roads.

The retirement community, tentatively planned to have four six-story buildings, would occupy 7.5 acres at the northern end of the apartment tract, next to Daniels Middle School. A mix of single-family and multifamily homes is planned for the remaining 16 acres.

Here's the location--> map

On first glance, it looks like a good urban infill project.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, go ahead and call me a tree hugger. Have you seen that site? It has some of the biggest most beautiful lines of trees in Raleigh. It would be a sin to cut them down...but I don't know how he is going to get the size buildings that he proposes in there without cutting down most, if not all.

I thought the word was he was going to use that property for houses. It is a BEAUTIFUL property....not just an empty lot, or even a lot full of scrub pines, but HUGE HUGE OAKS mostly in rows that would have looked great for a neighborhood. Think Forest Hills in Wilmington.

What an incredible loss for the City.

I would not rush into thinking he would literally clear cut, also nimby is king in this area and they will put up a fight. I am going to wait and see what the plans and height of the building look like before I make a comment either or for the project. by the way is it ironic that the other day that lady actor and her friends were in the tree trying to protect a peice of land from development ? who protected the land where they built there sprawling homes in the hills!!!! :shok:

• 1 month later...

I gotta say, as expensive as the homes will be in that area, it will still be the most solid investment in Raleigh. John C. Williams has always built the finest homes in Raleigh, and all of them have turned to gold. He built most of Drewry Hills and Williamsborough Ct. The houses were done right, tasteful for decades. Those at Country Club Homes will certainly be $250/foot and up, but they will be some of the most sought after houses in Raleigh for the next 100 years.

Honestly, what they should do is tons of small, extremely well-built one-story houses for empty nesters. They don't want to pay Capital Gains on their $1.5M houses, and would gladly shed all of that space and yard to be in something charming with similar folk. I wouldn't call it a "retirement" village, because that hints at dirty rest homes and couped up condos. What I'm talking about is Williams' DYNAMITE little private street off of Marlowe Road. To me this is the most charming street in Raleigh. We could use many many many more of these.

map it

kinda off subject, but does anyone know what they're building near the corner of oberlin and fairview across from the firestation heading towards cameron village?

It's Oberlin Village (SP-044-05) (worthless .pdf)

It's just going to be a few shops. Some lady who live on St. Mary's St. (of all places) showed up to the Planning Commission meeting to complain - whatever.

My biggest worry about this development is that those apartments are homes at an unexpensive rate in an area already full of high-priced homes.

I like new infill Inside-the-Beltline...but I get very cautious if it replaces low and middle-income people with upper-income people only. I'd feel better about this project if there was assurances that at least some of the new homes there would be as affordable as what they're replacing.

My biggest worry about this development is that those apartments are homes at an unexpensive rate in an area already full of high-priced homes.

I like new infill Inside-the-Beltline...but I get very cautious if it replaces low and middle-income people with upper-income people only. I'd feel better about this project if there was assurances that at least some of the new homes there would be as affordable as what they're replacing.

I say let the market dictate what gets built. This area will have no problem whatsoever selling homes in this location at high prices. If the area gets too high priced and demand drops, then we will see more moderately priced dwellings...but I don't see that happening here.

• 1 month later...

Wow, Grubb closed on the property for $24M. That's a nice chuck of real estate. Call me a tree hugger, but I do hope they can save some of the mature oaks in that area.

Well you know how it is in North Carolina....tear down all the trees then name the development after them. :P

Wow, Grubb closed on the property for $24M. That's a nice chuck of real estate. Call me a tree hugger, but I do hope they can save some of the mature oaks in that area.

It really is a pretty property, especially once those ugly buildings are gone. I think that many trees will stay simply because they are in that part of town and the development is catering toward people who already live in that part of town.

Country Club Homes reminds a bit of another property Grubb owns, Glen Lennox Cottages in Chapel Hill. Since Grubb acquired Glen Lennox, they have been making investments and pushing the complex upscale. Maybe they have something similar in mind here, at least in the interim until they put together a plan for something else?

• 11 months later...

More on this project, destined to be a retire-in-place community:

Grubb wants to build up to 250 single-family homes, condominiums or townhouses that, like most CCRCs, offer a range of medical services -- skilled nursing, assisted living, independent living -- that let residents stay in one place as their needs change.

The article mentions that this project will be competing with the Cardinal at North Hills, which will be a component of North Hills East.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to say: the buildings they are tearing down at this site: i lived there for a while. it was the best place ive lived in raleigh. they had so much charm, beauty, and it really felt like a neighborhood inside a neighborhood. and the trees and the "quads" were so pleasant! im really sad to see them go, i HOPE they keep the trees, if anything. i honestly cant stand to read articles about this project--just breaks my heart.

(new to this site, btw)

Archived