The Scottsdale thread

MJLO

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

the rich get richer, in Scottsdale

there's a shock, Scottsdales median income rose slightly faster than the rate of inflation, and rate of rising incomes in the rest of the state. Is anyone shocked? I still don't think Scottsdale should be revered as a place of the wealthy and the powerful. There are "Scottsdales" in every major city thruout the country. From what I understand, the real movers and shakers in the valley, wall themselves off in Paradise Valley anyway.

Ok, Scottsdale is taking LRT to the voting booth. Do you think that the residents will allow it? Apart from them wanting to keep the socio-economic divide they have, I feel they won't allow it. I also feel that the majority of the "no's" will come from North Scottsdale, which would not even be affected by the Lightrail. I think it would benefit Scottsdale. But being the largest NIMBY city in the valley, my money is on No. A cool city could be even more cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Scottsdale business are in a big majority in favor of bring an LRT line, or Street cars to the city.

It was an EVT story, I have a feeling scottsdale will get in line with the rest of us and get the LRT lines, It couldn't hurt the city. Anybody have a different view?

• 2 weeks later...

I was wrong

Those crazy kids in Scottsdale have vowed to keep lightrail out of the city. I will keep my negative adjectives and interjections out of here. But I say to all of you, I, MJLO, Moderator of urban planet Arizona and the West, think they are making a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are pretty much scattered but there is a huge collection of resorts around Scottsdale and Camelback, such as

Phoenician

W Scottsdale

Scottsdale Mondrian

Valley Ho

Caleo

Camelback Sanctuary

Ritz Carlton - Paradise Valley (future)

Camelback Inn

Montelucia

Along Scottsdale Road further north,

Westin Kierland

Scottsdale Princess

Gainey Ranch Hilton

Along Camelback Road

The Biltmore

Ritz Carlton Phoenix

I think itll be awhile before another region in the phoenix area will have the same upscale reputation as scottsdale. while other cities have pockets/neighborhoods of wealth, most of the wealth in the phoenix area still live in the northeast side.

Though the area near westgate is getting a little bit of upscale retail that hasnt been seen outside scottsdale. Tempe is also seeing some nice hotels come in.

Paradise Valley is certainly an area with lots of expensive houses. I think Scottsdale simply has taken root in the public mind because of the number of expensive resorts there. While Paradise Valley has the Biltmore, Scottsdale has the Phoenician, the Camelback Inn the Princess and a number of other high-profile resorts. There may be some truth to the idea that a few of the other places don't want the high-profile reputation. Thoughts?

Isn't The Biltmore technically in Phoenix proper? I think PV starts about 1/2 mile north of Camelback.

I totally agree with you though. Paradise Valley is a much more upscale place to live than Scottsdale, however there's virtually no retail or big resorts like in Scottsdale, which is where I think the image starts.

I think it's media driven, it's homogenous It's the "Phoenix destination" When truth is, there are communities accross this country in EVERY state, every bit as upscale and with as much notariety as Scottsdale. However if you are from the valley, you don't know that these places exist everywhere, you tend to think "Scottsdale" is the only one.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Light rail, streetcar still on the table in Scottsdale

To summarize, besides streetcars, they're considering building a light rail line up Scottsdale Road which would bypass downtown via Drinkwater or Goldwater, and Bus Rapid Transit from the left lane instead of the curb lane to make it dissimilar from regular bus routes.

I think streetcars are fine for short distances, but the ones in San Francisco aren't something you want to take across town. So a streetcar line might work if it went down Scottsdale Road between the two points where the light rail line diverts from and back onto Scottsdale Road.

• 2 weeks later...

I read in the Republic that they are considering allowing the light rail go as far north as the Scottsdale Stadium (which I guess makes most sense to connect Tempe to Old Town.) That would probably be used the most. I just don't think there is enough along SCottsdale to justify a rail all the way up to Kierland and One Scottsdale/CityNorth area. Unless those are the only 2 other stops.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Paradise Valley is certainly an area with lots of expensive houses. I think Scottsdale simply has taken root in the public mind because of the number of expensive resorts there. While Paradise Valley has the Biltmore, Scottsdale has the Phoenician, the Camelback Inn the Princess and a number of other high-profile resorts. There may be some truth to the idea that a few of the other places don't want the high-profile reputation. Thoughts?

Wow, they are in the Phoenix city limits. I don't know why everyone always points this out. Phoenician, Camelback Inn and Kierland all use Scottsdale mailing addresses. So what if they are in the phoenix city limits?

Rather different from Boulders Resort saying they are in scottsdale when the mailing address in Carefree.

Archived