The Scottsdale thread

MJLO

Wow, they are in the Phoenix city limits. I don't know why everyone always points this out. Phoenician, Camelback Inn and Kierland all use Scottsdale mailing addresses. So what if they are in the phoenix city limits?

Rather different from Boulders Resort saying they are in scottsdale when the mailing address in Carefree.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reason people mistake the Biltmore and Royal Palms as being in Scottsdale is simply because those locations advertise themselves as "Scottsdale" or being "near Scottsdale." They tout themselves as being near Scottsdale, T-Cooks, best "new" restaurant in Scottsdale, Biltmore, the new Waldorf-Astoria Collection in Scottsdale. Businesses are the reason people mistake them for being in Scottsdale. Even the upcoming Super Bowl, on numerous occasions ESPN advertises it as "2008 Superbowl in Scottsdale" (occasionally saying Glendale). Scottsdale is great at drawing attention and has a lot more power than the Phoenix name. Why be so mad when Scottsdale is bringing Arizona and Phoenix more tourists and international recognition? Its not like people don't realize that Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix. Many suburbs have the same effect (Beverly Hills, Bal Harbour, Highland Park, Bellevue, etc.)

Even the new development CityNorth advertises itself as being "Scottsdale" or "near Scottsdale." This is how they attract international and national retailers. In all reality, if CityNorth weren't built right by Scottsdale, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's wouldnt have signed.

A reason people mistake the Biltmore and Royal Palms as being in Scottsdale is simply because those locations advertise themselves as "Scottsdale" or being "near Scottsdale." They tout themselves as being near Scottsdale, T-Cooks, best "new" restaurant in Scottsdale, Biltmore, the new Waldorf-Astoria Collection in Scottsdale. Businesses are the reason people mistake them for being in Scottsdale. Even the upcoming Super Bowl, on numerous occasions ESPN advertises it as "2008 Superbowl in Scottsdale" (occasionally saying Glendale). Scottsdale is great at drawing attention and has a lot more power than the Phoenix name. Why be so mad when Scottsdale is bringing Arizona and Phoenix more tourists and international recognition? Its not like people don't realize that Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix. Many suburbs have the same effect (Beverly Hills, Bal Harbour, Highland Park, Bellevue, etc.)

Even the new development CityNorth advertises itself as being "Scottsdale" or "near Scottsdale." This is how they attract international and national retailers. In all reality, if CityNorth weren't built right by Scottsdale, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's wouldnt have signed.

You also have to take into consideration what makes a stand-alone community not be a suburb. Or vice versa.

For instance, Long Beach is close enough to LA to be considered a suburb, but the whole South Bay is considered its own community with Long Beach at the center.

Tempe, Mesa and Glendale are decidedly suburbs, but Scottsdale, I think, has a little more ambiguity due to its core and general name recognition. I think that's why it's easy to associate places near Scottsdale, like the Biltmore area, with Scottsdale instead of their rightful, correct, geographic location. I consider Paradise Valley (the town, not the neighborhood) more Scottsdale than Phoenix just because of its nature. And, besides, it's not really that clear where the boundaries are in that area, especially when you cruise down Camelback or McDowell: it all looks the same.

You also have to take into consideration what makes a stand-alone community not be a suburb. Or vice versa.

For instance, Long Beach is close enough to LA to be considered a suburb, but the whole South Bay is considered its own community with Long Beach at the center.

Tempe, Mesa and Glendale are decidedly suburbs, but Scottsdale, I think, has a little more ambiguity due to its core and general name recognition. I think that's why it's easy to associate places near Scottsdale, like the Biltmore area, with Scottsdale instead of their rightful, correct, geographic location. I consider Paradise Valley (the town, not the neighborhood) more Scottsdale than Phoenix just because of its nature. And, besides, it's not really that clear where the boundaries are in that area, especially when you cruise down Camelback or McDowell: it all looks the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived