Signature vs. ......

gaushell

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article. I am glad to see Nashville and Charlotte are getting recognition they both deserve. Not to slam Atlanta, but our time has come and will be here for a while. I suppose Nash. & Char. will be playing catchup for a while.

This was also great exposure for the Signature and Tony. :good:

Great article. I am glad to see Nashville and Charlotte are getting recognition they both deserve. Not to slam Atlanta, but our time has come and will be here for a while. I suppose Nash. & Char. will be playing catchup for a while.

This was also great exposure for the Signature and Tony. :good:

Maybe it's just me but I think Tony ought to get a shovel in the ground before he starts crowing (on our behalf) about having the tallest building in the south. Seems a little premature.

I don't know. I don't think Tony was crowing at all. He even said he wasn't trying to best Atlanta and only made the comment that some in Atlanta got a little defensive though I'm not sure that is true. I'm a bit tired of all these articles in which the major emphasis is on cities competing for bragging rights. It's obvious that Nashville, Atlanta and Charlotte are all growing rapidly and not necessarily stealing each others momentum. This is a big plug for Tony, Nashville and many cities in the southern region. I just want Nashville to be as great as its potential. Anyway I know, broken record. :blink:

It's one of the sillier articles that I think I have seen in a while. Maybe they haven't figured out that we don't use Dixie anymore to describe the new South. This is par for the course these days for USA Today which isn't much more than a tabloid. The article makes out like Southerners are a bunch of idiots that have nothing better to do than to worry about what their neighbors are doing.

they're just stiring things up to get more readers in the south. while i think fun banter is more than welcome, some of this might get a little nasty. i hope we can all enjoy each other's success without name calling or whining.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this article. USA Today seems to be instigating us "silly southerners" so that we can make fools out of ourselves going back and forth at each other.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this article. USA Today seems to be instigating us "silly southerners" so that we can make fools out of ourselves going back and forth at each other.

Agreed. But I haven't seen any Atlanta developers or major players from there engaging in any of the nonsense. So, I'm not quite sure what would compell Girantantanna to go on the record accusing the city of Atlanta of being defensive about his proposed "dream". To the extent that anyone down there is paying attention, and I doubt they are, I suspect they're just getting a bit of a giggle about how much ink our media gives a project that still lacks the sales, construction pricing and bank financing needed to get started.

And if it doesn't go forward I suspect they'll be a zinger of a "last word" follow up article written by the Atlanta press. Again, I'm sure he was just seeking pub for the project but I think, in the long run, he'd have been better served not to engage in what is probably just a regional media joust.

You mean something similar to the back and forth silliness between NYC and Boston that's been going on for, I don't know, about 200 years? :) NYC might be the 800 pound gorilla of the Northeast, but Boston has more character--I see the Atlanta-Nashville relationship playing out the same way...

-Sean

...I'm not quite sure what would compell Girantantanna to go on the record accusing the city of Atlanta of being defensive about his proposed "dream". To the extent that anyone down there is paying attention, and I doubt they are, I suspect they're just getting a bit of a giggle about how much ink our media gives a project that still lacks the sales, construction pricing and bank financing needed to get started.

...Again, I'm sure he was just seeking pub for the project but I think, in the long run, he'd have been better served not to engage in what is probably just a regional media joust.

I'd say this was excellent press for Tony--and it isn't "our [local] media" (if that was the implication), it's USA Today. He earned national coverage for his sales efforts in one of the largest newspapers in the world without paying one dime in advertising costs. Among PR people this type of coverage is called "earned media", which means rather than paying for it he earned the media coverage by being the story. To the reader of the article it may seem like the story was almost an accident--but I can tell you that people who work in public relations get paid lots of money to make things like this happen, and each one is a victory for their client in the market.

As far as how silly it may seem for him to make the comment he did or to engage in it at all, the first thing I would point out is that people get misquoted and taken out of context in the newspaper all the time. They have their agenda, and the writers and editors have theirs. So having met Tony a few times I'd say his biggest quote in the article was probably a light-hearted comment made after twenty minutes of pretty serious discussion about how his project and others like it progress from concept to completion.

I give Tony and his team big points for generating some excellent coverage, whether they generated the article on their own initiative or had the help of a PR firm. I can almost guarantee Signature will get a burst of serious inquiries from real estate investors as a result of this article, some of whom will end up making purchases. :ph34r:

This article doesn't mention it, but when is the current expected start date for sig? Still January 2007? I agree that until there's work at the site, I'm not buying into this.

As far as I know, January 2007 is STILL the expected start date.

I'd say this was excellent press for Tony--and it isn't "our [local] media" (if that was the implication), it's USA Today. He earned national coverage for his sales efforts in one of the largest newspapers in the world without paying one dime in advertising costs. Among PR people this type of coverage is called "earned media", which means rather than paying for it he earned the media coverage by being the story. To the reader of the article it may seem like the story was almost an accident--but I can tell you that people who work in public relations get paid lots of money to make things like this happen, and each one is a victory for their client in the market.

As far as how silly it may seem for him to make the comment he did or to engage in it at all, the first thing I would point out is that people get misquoted and taken out of context in the newspaper all the time. They have their agenda, and the writers and editors have theirs. So having met Tony a few times I'd say his biggest quote in the article was probably a light-hearted comment made after twenty minutes of pretty serious discussion about how his project and others like it progress from concept to completion.

I give Tony and his team big points for generating some excellent coverage, whether they generated the article on their own initiative or had the help of a PR firm. I can almost guarantee Signature will get a burst of serious inquiries from real estate investors as a result of this article, some of whom will end up making purchases. :ph34r:

I agree that it's likely that Tony and his team may have "engineered" the story for the free pub I'm just pointing out that doing so comes with a big cost to his credibility if he never gets started. And why work so hard on the publicity when you don't have anything all that impressive (by $250 million project statndards) to show the folks that you attract ? With all due respect to gaushell it's going to take a lot more than a portable model and virtual sales center to get this bird off the ground.

A few months ago Tony announced that he had Turner and Centex doing the initial pricing of his preliminary drawings. I think it will be a good sign that he's making progress if there is some near term announcement from his office that he's selected one of those firms and confirmed that he can in fact afford the building that he's showcased. Obviously, there will still be many more hurdles to climb but I think that milestone is critical and as important as whether he has 60% vs 50% reserved.

I agree that it's likely that Tony and his team may have "engineered" the story for the free pub I'm just pointing out that doing so comes with a big cost to his credibility if he never gets started. And why work so hard on the publicity when you don't have anything all that impressive (by $250 million project statndards) to show the folks that you attract ? With all due respect to gaushell it's going to take a lot more than a portable model and virtual sales center to get this bird off the ground.

A few months ago Tony announced that he had Turner and Centex doing the initial pricing of his preliminary drawings. I think it will be a good sign that he's making progress if there is some near term announcement from his office that he's selected one of those firms and confirmed that he can in fact afford the building that he's showcased. Obviously, there will still be many more hurdles to climb but I think that milestone is critical and as important as whether he has 60% vs 50% reserved.

Interesting story now that we are talking about Atlanta and Nashville.

A "Global Station" for Gwinnett

Developer plans 10 condo tower, stores near mall

By WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/16/06

Gwinnett development tycoon Wayne Mason plans what he calls an Atlantic Station for Gwinnett County.

Mason, the venerable metro area developer who also owns much of Atlanta's Beltline property, has bought two empty shopping centers near Gwinnett Place Mall with plans to build as many as 10 condo towers and retail stores over the next several years.

Mason, working with a group of Asian investors, has some 40 acres under contract between Pleasant Hill Road and Satellite Boulevard.

The project, tentatively called "Global Station," will request its first zoning from county officials in the fourth quarter, said Jane Langley, a spokesperson for Mason said.

Mason's early concept for the project calls for a large retail village similar to Midtown's Atlantic Station, condo towers and an amphitheater.

Mason believes that many Gwinnett residents

Interesting story now that we are talking about Atlanta and Nashville.

A "Global Station" for Gwinnett

Developer plans 10 condo tower, stores near mall

By WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/16/06

Gwinnett development tycoon Wayne Mason plans what he calls an Atlantic Station for Gwinnett County.

Mason, the venerable metro area developer who also owns much of Atlanta's Beltline property, has bought two empty shopping centers near Gwinnett Place Mall with plans to build as many as 10 condo towers and retail stores over the next several years.

Mason, working with a group of Asian investors, has some 40 acres under contract between Pleasant Hill Road and Satellite Boulevard.

The project, tentatively called "Global Station," will request its first zoning from county officials in the fourth quarter, said Jane Langley, a spokesperson for Mason said.

Mason's early concept for the project calls for a large retail village similar to Midtown's Atlantic Station, condo towers and an amphitheater.

Mason believes that many Gwinnett residents

Archived