Nashville-Tokyo Air Service

ATLBrain

Well bring on the Frontier Hub. It doesn't have to be an enormous hub but I don't think anyone would mind some connecting traffic at BNA these days.

Anyone heard/seen any plans for the remodel of the airport?

Yeah, if they do a hub out of here it will not be the size of the Denver hub. But it will connect their flights (and there is a bunch of them) from Mexico to the east coast. They are a smaller airline, but have become the envy of the industry with their safe record, new planes, and effiency overall. If I had to choose what lowcost airline I would want hubbing in my city, it would be Frontier by a long shot. These guys will be a major player sometime in the future.

On a side note: The wife and I sat out at the overlook at the airport yesterday morning and watched their Cancun flight depart from here.

BTW, That article about the local restaurants was awesome! Thanks for posting that.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lexy, have you heard any credible rumors that Frontier is looking for a hub in the east? Granted, BNA would make a great one b/c the infrastructure is already in place, but this comes as news to me.

I remember AA served BNA when I was at school at Vandy and interviewing with companies. I flew them everywhere. Then three years later when I was living in the RDU area, I flew them everywhere. I had a lot of Advantage miles. Then I had a really bad experience in which they treated me as a third class person and I've never flown them since. In the long run, BNA will be better off without that chintzy airline.

ATL, no. But there is a runble out at the airport and I can't put my finger on where it is coming from. You don't spend $44 million dollars just to improve a "Regional" airport. That is entirely too much money for just a connector type airport.

American Airlines still has 7 gates, which is more than most "connecting" AA cities have. They are still committed to the city, but realize that they screwed up by their past actions here. If you want to point fingers as to pathetic service out of here, look no further than United Airlines. They don't even fly out of here, their regional airline does while smaller and less busy airports across the US has mainline service with UNITED AIRLINES. They are only here to say they are, not to benefit the traveler. American can cease to operate here and we lose a large amount of passenger traffic still. Not everyone is a Southwest kind of flyer. Still, I would like to see American use larger jets here just because the ones they use are always packed. You would think that at some point, they will bring the 757 here to replace the old MD's that fly from here.

Where do we rank nationally as far as yearly numbers? Are we top 30, top 50?

I think we are top 30, or top 40. I am not sure of that, but you have to figure in the numbers from last year to get a clear idea of our ranking.

I wish only the best things for our airport.

Question: Does the old AA Admirals Lounge just sit empty up there in concourse C?

I sure wish they would let unticketed passengers past security. I love hanging out at the airport. Isn't that pathetic? I understand the security issues however. That takes precedence.

nashcan, I agree with everything you said about hanging out there. It is neat to watch people and planes. Makes you think about yourself and how 'normal' you are. LOL!!!!

As far as the club, I have no idea.

Correction, it is now closed. But the one in Raleigh is still open. Go figure.

Interesting chart. I always like seeing lists. I have a question though. Does anyone know what the % Chance column on the right mean? And it was also interesting see Knoxville at 94, and Chattanooga at 143. I thought Chattanooga would've been higher. I also saw Blountville at 144. How is a town I've never heard of only 30,000 passengers below Chattanooga?

And something I though was funny, the city of "Medicine Hat," with 32,000 passengers, is ranked at 171. I just thought that was a funny name.

And one last thing. Why are these the only airports on the list? I know there are many more smaller airports in the country.

Nashville would appear to be one (ONE) of the largest non-hub airports it would seem. Just browsing over the list, I noticed there are some non-hub airports above us, but basically we are one of the bigger ones. Still, 9 million is too few we need more! LOL!!!

Oh, and the international flights could start with Southwest. Their CEO has said that they WILL fly international at some point and they currently codeshare with ATA. So the possiblity is there for a international flight from Nashville via Southwest/ATA. Being a focus city for them could spell our first transatlantic flights with them. We have the numbers with Southwest.

Just a FYI

I like all the talk about the airport because I agree that it is a very important part of this city...but, I have to stop reading for now so I can make the drive out to it to pick my parents up...too bad 40 is down to one lane right now so I'm gonna have to go in from another way

I like all the talk about the airport because I agree that it is a very important part of this city...but, I have to stop reading for now so I can make the drive out to it to pick my parents up...too bad 40 is down to one lane right now so I'm gonna have to go in from another way

Donelson Pike my friend. LOL!!!

I think it's pretty amazing how close BNA is to MEM in passengers, and we don't have a hub!

Seriously! That blew me away when I saw the numbers. They blow us out of the friggin' water with cargo, but with passenger traffic we can hang together. LOL!!!

There is a name for that in the industry. It's called the "Southwest Effect".

medium.jpg

What's BQK?

Lexy, that's great that Southwest is going to start international flights, but are you sure it's transatlantic, and not just to Canada and the Caribbean? If it is transatlantic, then Nashville would definately be getting some of the flights. What are the other focus cities for Southwest?

And Lexy, what do you think are the chances for Nashville becoming a hub for Frontier? I heard from someone that they were interested in getting another hub (I think I heard that from you). With the new renovations Nashville's getting, don't you think that would at least make them look at Nashville?

More comments.

With Nashville's high growth rate, it looks as if it could pass some other airports pretty soon, same with Memphis.

And I also find it odd that San Jose, one of the biggest cities in the country, is only ranked 39th. I don't know why I find that so weird.

What's BQK?

Lexy, that's great that Southwest is going to start international flights, but are you sure it's transatlantic, and not just to Canada and the Caribbean? If it is transatlantic, then Nashville would definately be getting some of the flights. What are the other focus cities for Southwest?

And Lexy, what do you think are the chances for Nashville becoming a hub for Frontier? I heard from someone that they were interested in getting another hub (I think I heard that from you). With the new renovations Nashville's getting, don't you think that would at least make them look at Nashville?

I'll try to answer this as best as I can.

Southwest would start off with Canada, Mexico, and Carribean type flights and then expand out. They currently fly, via ATA, to Hawaii. This is years away, at least the European flights are, fom actually happening. But Gary Kelley, Southwest CEO, has been quoted as saying they WILL fly international in the future. Other focus cities are Las Vegas, Phoenix, Baltimore, Orlando, Los Angeles, Tampa, Houston, Dallas (home base for them), and Chicago. Many, if not all of these cities would have some form of international flights I would assume.

As far as the renovations are concerned, I said it in another thread or this one. You don't spend $44 million dollars to upgrade a career "Connections Airport". These guys, Raul Regaldo included, have their eyes set on the prize. A future hub here. It has happened before and it will happen again I think. Nashville as a city is becoming a higher profile city, a destination in and of itself, and a place to do and make business. That will be a huge selling point to whoever they court for a hub. But make no mistake about it, they will emphasize that Nashville wants to be THE gateway city for Tennessee. And they will go after that idea with everything they have. Frontier would be a great fit. They already operate internationally and are a wonderful corporate neighbor. Not to mention they are in good fisical shape, sound business model, and steady growth. That is what the airport will go after. A airline like that type IMO. In many of the airport circles I follow in, there has been talk about a Frontier hub here. They have four flights a day from here and have four flights a week from here to Mexico. FOUR A WEEK TO MEXICO. Not one, but FOUR! That is simply amazing considering it's little ol' Cancun and not Mexico City. And they fill up too, that is the neatest thing about it. Who knows where these people are traveling from to catch this expensive flight to Central America. So yes, I think our hub here will be Frontier. I don't think Memphis will get it due to Northwest and FedEx taking up a large part of the airport terminal, and landing/takeoff slots already. Plus they don't even serve that city yet, so there is no established business plan for a route there......yet. There are rumors, but nothing concrete. Northwest keeps a number of low cost airlines out of there and other Mainline Hub airports that are in smaller metros similar to Memphis.

The renovations at Nashville will make the place more attractive and help it stand out amongst a sea of other airports in the region. Nashville will position itself to become the next "home" for a airline. Mark my words. LOL!!!

I didn't realize that Atlanta had over 80mil in passengers...that's ridiculous! Makes our 9mil look pretty insignificant. I hope we pass Memphis soon...that will bode well for a future hub. Get us up to about 15mil, and we'll be a hub.

I think all we really need to do is get BACK above 10 million and we can make a decent case for one.

Interesting chart. I always like seeing lists. I have a question though. Does anyone know what the % Chance column on the right mean? And it was also interesting see Knoxville at 94, and Chattanooga at 143. I thought Chattanooga would've been higher. I also saw Blountville at 144. How is a town I've never heard of only 30,000 passengers below Chattanooga?

And something I though was funny, the city of "Medicine Hat," with 32,000 passengers, is ranked at 171. I just thought that was a funny name.

And one last thing. Why are these the only airports on the list? I know there are many more smaller airports in the country.

Blountville is the area in which the Tri-Cities Regional Airport is located.

I didn't realize that Atlanta had over 80mil in passengers...that's ridiculous! Makes our 9mil look pretty insignificant. I hope we pass Memphis soon...that will bode well for a future hub. Get us up to about 15mil, and we'll be a hub.

STL had well over 30 mil passengers in 2000 but in 2005 they had under 15 mil. That's what happens when your hub leaves (TWA). And to think, they are spending over $$1 billion to add ONE runway to Lambert airport for the 'increased demand'.....

Archived