How the rust belt can sell itself to the folks in the sunbelt

tsuga

The UP has an accent in Michigan, but the Lower Peninsula does not. The Scandanavian accent is strongest in the west, but you can definately hear it in the east and sometimes in the northern Lower.

You ALWAYS know a Canadian in Detroit. In fact, just the other day, I was working on a class project with a fellow student of mine from Windsor. We were at the computer and he was explaining something to me, finished his sentence...delayed for a millisecond and let out the biggest, most distinct AYE I've ever heard. I couldn't stop laughing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has an accent. Yes, even those in the LP. Are their strong accents up north and in the UP? Of course. Are lower peninusla accents less noticable, yes, but you can definitely tell a difference. In fact, you don't have to go very far south into Ohio of Indiana to hear the difference. Even the drive from east-to-west, west-to-east along the southern LP yields noticable changes in accent.

I think this was discussed before, but I remember from some of my media classes in college that National newscasters/anchorpersons are taught to emulate the Great Lakes area dialect, since it's the most "un-accented". Sorry Temeteron, but you're wrong. :D

I think this was discussed before, but I remember from some of my media classes in college that National newscasters/anchorpersons are taught to emulate the Great Lakes area dialect, since it's the most "un-accented". Sorry Temeteron, but you're wrong. :D

Actually i have heard that alot of newscasters are from the Mid-west but didnt know it was mostly Michigan....

Actually, when they say Midwest accent, they are talking more Iowa, Nebraska...you know, the Plains Midwest. At least, that's what I heard that stations are looking for. I always think it's funny how so many in the state don't think they have an accent. IMO, while it's not as strong or distinguishable as a Minnesota or Wisconsin accent, you'll definitely be picked out as an outsider even in somewhere like southern Ohio.

I had heard that the state with little or no accent was Nebraska.

Because there aren't any people... :lol:

Not all National newscasters are from Michigan obviously, but I heard they use the Great Lakes dialect (areas around the Great Lakes including Michigan, parts of Ohio and Indiana and Illinois) for voice and speech coaching.

Archived